| MBB/WBB Alabama men’s basketball rises to No. 1 in Associated Press, coaches polls

That number 1 beside your name looks good and all but doesn’t mean squat in February! Only time it matters is once the dust settles from March Madness! CNO will have to keep the guys focused and make them understand this and that they will get everyone’s best shot, whether it is coming from Purdue or from the REC league champ on campus! It’s a marathon, not a sprint!

I understand where everyone is coming from on the "it doesn't matter now" type stuff for a #1 ranking, but for the players, the program, the school, and a lot of fans it's everything you want to see! After all the time, effort, donations, and money spent to put this into motion. You want to catch a recruit's eye? You want more donations? You want to attract more student body to the school? You want more sponsorships? You want more prime time games on CBS/ESPN? You want Nate to stay? you want that new arena? You need that #1 ranking and it shouldn't be spit on because it's mid/late season and not the end of the season. Who in their right mind would have seen this five to ten years ago? We would have killed for that under Grant and Johnson. I agree it doesn't mean anything as far as our ultimate goals for the season, but damn if it doesn't feel good to see and say you've got the #1 basketball team in the country. How many times has our fan base put down another team because they crow about being good, but weren't number one or haven't seen that position in forever or ever? It happens a lot, and look no further than the shit Georgia took for 40 years. I'm proud we are #1 right now and look forward to us carrying that torch into March Madness and seeing heights we have yet to see as a program.

I understand where everyone is coming from on the "it doesn't matter now" type stuff for a #1 ranking, but for the players, the program, the school, and a lot of fans it's everything you want to see! After all the time, effort, donations, and money spent to put this into motion. You want to catch a recruit's eye? You want more donations? You want to attract more student body to the school? You want more sponsorships? You want more prime time games on CBS/ESPN? You want Nate to stay? you want that new arena? You need that #1 ranking and it shouldn't be spit on because it's mid/late season and not the end of the season. Who in their right mind would have seen this five to ten years ago? We would have killed for that under Grant and Johnson. I agree it doesn't mean anything as far as our ultimate goals for the season, but damn if it doesn't feel good to see and say you've got the #1 basketball team in the country. How many times has our fan base put down another team because they crow about being good, but weren't number one or haven't seen that position in forever or ever? It happens a lot, and look no further than the shit Georgia took for 40 years. I'm proud we are #1 right now and look forward to us carrying that torch into March Madness and seeing heights we have yet to see as a program.
Yeah it matters and it does not matter. For what happens the rest of the season it doesn't matter. The big picture perception for recruiting and continuing to grow the program it matters.

If you are a blue blood the latter is negated somewhat so Bama footballl it does not matter.

Yeah it matters and it does not matter. For what happens the rest of the season it doesn't matter. The big picture perception for recruiting and continuing to grow the program it matters.

If you are a blue blood the latter is negated somewhat so Bama footballl it does not matter.

It matters. You gotta learn to win with that target on your back. Look at us tonight, we look nothing like a #1 team. Being a blue blood means absolute zero. New players and bew coaches have to learn how to win with a target on their back every year, so yester year means zero.

It matters. You gotta learn to win with that target on your back. Look at us tonight, we look nothing like a #1 team. Being a blue blood means absolute zero. New players and bew coaches have to learn how to win with a target on their back every year, so yester year means zero.
Lets just agree to disagree. Blue bloods not needing #1 to attract recruits and being #1 does not help you win the next game. Those were my points. I am pretty sure we are more aligned than not.

Lets just agree to disagree. Blue bloods not needing #1 to attract recruits and being #1 does not help you win the next game. Those were my points. I am pretty sure we are more aligned than not.

I never said that. I simply stated being a blue blood does not get you prepared to handle that pressure. As we've discussed before, you think the aura of Alabama past has some kind of magicial power over the current team and can help them win or something. These players are recycled every year with new guys, not robots. It's a new class you have to train and teach. Being #1 is a big deal and down playing it with that bullcrap "right now doesn't matter" is downplaying their efforts and like they said on tv you get voted that so you have no say. Wanna be the best, be #1, not #2. Saying we were #1 this year, even if we don't make the Final Four will mean a lot to a lot of people.

That ends a tough stretch, 6 of last 9 games on the road. Of remaining 5, 3 are at home, starting Sat with UGA. 1 game lead over A&M now... really need the Aggies to lose tonight to Arkansas.

Also worth noting, Plavsic is a first teamer on my 2023 SEC Most Hated Team...
Reminds me of one Gimel Martinez from UK back in the early 90’s. Dude should’ve been tossed on the after foul slap across the face to JQ in the first half! That was deliberate and intentional!

I never said that. I simply stated being a blue blood does not get you prepared to handle that pressure. As we've discussed before, you think the aura of Alabama past has some kind of magicial power over the current team and can help them win or something. These players are recycled every year with new guys, not robots. It's a new class you have to train and teach. Being #1 is a big deal and down playing it with that bullcrap "right now doesn't matter" is downplaying their efforts and like they said on tv you get voted that so you have no say. Wanna be the best, be #1, not #2. Saying we were #1 this year, even if we don't make the Final Four will mean a lot to a lot of people.
Many coaches have said as much but lets agree to disagree....

My point I was trying to make with the post and will rephrase, it is easier to recruit at blue blood schools so being #1 does not matter as much from that perspective. When you are building something as Oats is trying to do, being #1 does matter for recruiting and generating excitement for the program. Bama football hardly blinks an eye when we are #1 until the final game.

I totally agree that being #1 does NOT matter with regards to helping you prepare or win the next game. It sure did not tonight. I agree #1 does not prepare you to handle the pressure. Being a program that has been #1 a lot does becaus the culture has been created that knows how to handle the pressure.

Back
Top Bottom