| MBB/WBB Alabama Men’s Basketball Returns to Winning Ways with 70-60 Victory at Missouri

It's not personal at all, a simple observation honestly. And once again, if you're not happy with our coach, do something about it instead of settling like you are. We won a basketball game and it turns into a damn discussion on why our coach isn't the right one. You're acting like a typical journalist, just making comments now so you can say "I told you so" later. All the negativity is unwarranted.

You live in a world of extremes. As far as your sensitivity to constructive criticism, demanding change is hardly the problem in BamaLand when it comes to basketball. Go back and read the threads that have been started and commented on by the majority over here about this years basketball team. Good, bad, or indifferent, it should take you all of 5 minutes. Did anyone actually make a single comment in actual time when we played Mizzou last night? Compared to our football program, "all this unwarranted negativity" doesn't amount to a blip on the radar.

A world of extremes? I'm the one defending our program, being a voice of reason, and acting the total opposite of posters like you that the walls are coming down around us.

I have never said this team was top notch, but you will not see where I have said we are dog shit either. I get frustrated with our turnovers, missing free throws, and other inadequacies, as I am a competitor just like most of us here. The posters you're commenting about are the same ones that are dogging a decent win, so that means zero to me or anyone else with a level head about all of this. Did I post about the game during the live forum? No I did not, because I'm not on rolltidebama just itching to post and have four kids at home to get in bed for school the next day, a small business I'm getting off the ground to add to my normal 9-5 job. I also don't make a habit of visiting the in game threads because all it is are quick comments about each individual play, usually complaining about what is going wrong and not much about what has gone right. It's a place to complain is all. I will tell you that I watched the game at multiple points in the game when I had the opportunity and I saw us way up, I saw us let them back in it, and then I saw us put the game on ice. And your last comment just sums up my exact point that the basketball program will not reach an elite level because it's not a "blip on the radar" compared to football that has had all the money and the kitchen sink thrown into it. Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Michigan State, even Florida at one point made basketball a priority and that's how they have been able to be the Alabama, Ohio State, and Oklahoma's of the football world. Tennessee, Auburn, Gonzaga, Virginia, Michigan, Florida State, and others like it have put focus into their programs and they are seeing the results as well. We are getting there by getting a solid coach and working towards the Crimson tide Initiative that gives our guys a fair chance to respond like these other programs that have allocated resources.

A world of extremes? I'm the one defending our program, being a voice of reason, and acting the total opposite of posters like you that the walls are coming down around us.

I'm actually predicting groundhog day. A lot more of the same. Does that feel like the walls are coming down? Interesting.

I have never said this team was top notch, but you will not see where I have said we are dog shit either.

If Tennessee and the barn can do it, so can Alabama. Dog dung is your hyperboles for the day, not mine. Well, one of your hyperboles.

I have never said this team was top notch, but you will not see where I have said we are dog shit either. I get frustrated with our turnovers, missing free throws, and other inadequacies, as I am a competitor just like most of us here. The posters you're commenting about are the same ones that are dogging a decent win, so that means zero to me or anyone else with a level head about all of this. Did I post about the game during the live forum? No I did not, because I'm not on rolltidebama just itching to post and have four kids at home to get in bed for school the next day, a small business I'm getting off the ground to add to my normal 9-5 job. I also don't make a habit of visiting the in game threads because all it is are quick comments about each individual play, usually complaining about what is going wrong and not much about what has gone right.

Relax, the lack of comments on these basketball threads aren't really an indictment against anyone's fandom, it's just apathy for B-ball these days. Not my fault, not your fault. If fans don't comment I assume it's because it really doesn't matter enough to say much of anything. That was actually my only point.

And your last comment just sums up my exact point that the basketball program will not reach an elite level because it's not a "blip on the radar" compared to football that has had all the money and the kitchen sink thrown into it. Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Michigan State, even Florida at one point made basketball a priority and that's how they have been able to be the Alabama, Ohio State, and Oklahoma's of the football world. Tennessee, Auburn, Gonzaga, Virginia, Michigan, Florida State, and others like it have put focus into their programs and they are seeing the results as well. We are getting there by getting a solid coach and working towards the Crimson tide Initiative that gives our guys a fair chance to respond like these other programs that have allocated resources.

Explain how Tennessee and the barners are outspending/out focusing us in basketball?

Explain how Tennessee and the barners are outspending/out focusing us in basketball?
Just as a side note to the Pearl/UT/what was left for Cuonzo ...

Kentucky has always been the big spender when it came to basketball recruiting. There has been a marked increase in what has happened and it can be traced back to Pearl. In a span of a few years they increased their spending at UT by almost 100%. I recall reading reports how they had increased their recruiting budget by right at 190% over a six year span. That was back when Grant was still on the sideline.

Now, it's been a few years since I really looked into this (recruiting budgets for basketball) but at that time Auburn was in the top five for monies spent as was the aforementioned Kentucky and Florida was there as well.

Kentucky has always been the big spender when it came to basketball recruiting. There has been a marked increase in what has happened and it can be traced back to Pearl. In a span of a few years they increased their spending at UT by almost 100%. I recall reading reports how they had increased their recruiting budget by right at 190% over a six year span. That was back when Grant was still on the sideline.

I'm not trying to be argumentative on the subject. I don't know what they were spending on basketball before Pearl so I don't know what an increase means off hand. Avery seems to be getting the going rate for good coaches in the SEC. Our stadium is about to undergo another facelift. If Avery wants to go visit players far and wide can he do it? If so, I suspect we are talking about a level playing field, economically, with everyone in the SEC not called Kentucky.

Avery should get his chance to prove he can or can't be successful at Bama. What is successful at Bama? Making the tourney 2 out of 3 years and the NIT the other is OK for me. Maybe a sweet 16 every now and then would be great. Wimp and CM both thought Grant was the guy yet he almost killed Alabama basketball in his years as HC. Avery is being paid top 20 money and the verdict on him is still out. I believe Avery will return for the 2020 season unless things really turn South going forward.

I'm not trying to be argumentative on the subject. I don't know what they were spending on basketball before Pearl so I don't know what an increase means off hand. Avery seems to be getting the going rate for good coaches in the SEC. Our stadium is about to undergo another facelift. If Avery wants to go visit players far and wide can he do it? If so, I suspect we are talking about a level playing field, economically, with everyone in the SEC not called Kentucky.

A $86M BB Arena to start.

If so, I suspect we are talking about a level playing field, economically, with everyone in the SEC not called Kentucky.
Keep in mind I was looking at this in depth back when Grant was in Tuscaloosa. Over a five year period I saw a Bama low of under 150K in a year spent on recruiting and also saw highs like one year UK had spent over 475K. However, right along with them Auburn had a few 400K+ years and never dropped below 200K.

The point UT increased their budget by almost 200% shows they stepped up in the market to a big degree.

I don't know what the differences between programs in the SEC are today. I do know those two programs had a significant jump on Bama several years ago.

If so, I suspect we are talking about a level playing field, economically, with everyone in the SEC not called Kentucky.
Keep in mind I was looking at this in depth back when Grant was in Tuscaloosa. Over a five year period I saw a Bama low of under 150K in a year spent on recruiting and also saw highs like one year UK had spent over 475K. However, right along with them Auburn had a few 400K+ years and never dropped below 200K.

The point UT increased their budget by almost 200% shows they stepped up in the market to a big degree.

I don't know what the differences between programs in the SEC are today. I do know those two programs had a significant jump on Bama several years ago.

When Anthony Grant came aboard he was on the receiving end of a brand new practice facility at about 4.5 million. A new 2 million dollar scoreboard and other amenities. That was on the heels of a 22 million dollar renovation of Coleman Coliseum in 2005. He was making about 2 million dollars a year. Last season CAJ received an extension to his contract. As of today, he's signed up through 2024 for about 3 million a year. It was also reported last year that Coleman Coliseum will receive a major renovation expected to cost about $115 million.

When Anthony Grant came aboard he was on the receiving end of a brand new practice facility at about 4.5 million. A new 2 million dollar scoreboard and other amenities. That was on the heels of a 22 million dollar renovation of Coleman Coliseum in 2005. He was making about 2 million dollars a year. Last season CAJ received an extension to his contract. As of today, he's signed up through 2024 for about 3 million a year. It was also reported last year that Coleman Coliseum will receive a major renovation expected to cost about $115 million.

Ok, so he and the program haven't really felt the ramifications of those investments. A scoreboard is not luring recruits. It's the hair cut shops, music studio I hear South Carolina put in, cafeterias, things of that nature that make a recruit feel comfortable away from home and a coach that can teach them NBA qualities. We have a guy that has lived it, won at the highest level as a player, coached at the highest level and received awards, and is now running a clean program that he is building on.

Ok, so he and the program haven't really felt the ramifications of those investments. A scoreboard is not luring recruits. It's the hair cut shops, music studio I hear South Carolina put in, cafeterias, things of that nature that make a recruit feel comfortable away from home and a coach that can teach them NBA qualities. We have a guy that has lived it, won at the highest level as a player, coached at the highest level and received awards, and is now running a clean program that he is building on.

The new dining and nutrition center is for all student-athletes on campus. Maybe coach will let them use the barber shop for recruiting purposes.

The new dining and nutrition center is for all student-athletes on campus. Maybe coach will let them use the barber shop for recruiting purposes.

I figured the dining hall was. Was curious how all of that is separated. I would love to tour our facilities and see the setup and everything. You may know this...are there certain areas, say, only the football team can go, sans specific locker rooms?

@TUSKtimes, The facilities are certainly a part of puzzle. The budget for recruiting is certainly an indicator of the health program, the focus of the staff, and a few other things.

At the time I was looking over these numbers Auburn was outspending Alabama by over 100K per year over a five year period. I don't remember how many SEC teams were ahead of Alabama. I do recall the last year I was looking over these figures UT had spent roughly 200K more than Bama and Auburn had spent three times more. I recall Georgia and Arkansas were spending more and I'm sure A&M was at that time as well. (They'd just joined the conference.)

**On another note, MSU was one of the schools that was outside of the top 50; little spent. But, is it a coincidence we saw the SEC dealing with Stansbury those years?

I figured the dining hall was. Was curious how all of that is separated. I would love to tour our facilities and see the setup and everything. You may know this...are there certain areas, say, only the football team can go, sans specific locker rooms?

They have a recruiting center that's part of the facilities. Not sure what they do there that might be exclusive to football players, besides hosting some trophies.

Back
Top Bottom