| MBB/WBB Alabama Men’s Basketball Returns to Winning Ways with 70-60 Victory at Missouri

UA Press Release

Official News Releases
Staff
Graduate Avery Johnson Jr. led all players with a season-high 14 points off the bench to lead the Tide to its first road league victory

COLUMBIA, Mo. – The Alabama men's basketball team snapped a two-game losing skid by capturing its first road win in Southeastern Conference play, defeating Missouri, 70-60, on Wednesday night at Mizzou Arena. With the victory, the Crimson Tide captured its second consecutive win on the Tigers' home floor and improves to 11-5 on the season and 2-2 in SEC play.

Graduate senior Avery Johnson Jr. led all players with a season-high 14 points off the bench, helping lead the Crimson Tide reserves to a 33-15 edge in bench points. Senior Donta Hall notched his league-leading eighth double-double of the season – and fifth in his last six games – finishing with 12 points and 11 rebounds in the victory.

"One of the things we talked about coming into this game was for our team to match Missouri's physicality without fouling and we felt like we were successful in that area," Alabama head coach Avery Johnson said. "Missouri is going to win some games in the SEC – this league is tough each and every night. We are thankful we were able to go on the road and get this win. Give our guys credit. We were able to bounce back from a tough, tough loss at home, go on the road and get this win tonight."

The Crimson Tide limited the Tigers (9-6, 0-3) to just 60 points, which is the fewest points allowed by Alabama on the season. In addition to the advantage in bench points, Alabama outscored Missouri, 40-30, in the paint and owned a 37-29 edge on the glass – the 15thtime in 16 games that UA has won the battle of the boards this season.

It was a back-and-forth contest to begin the game, as the Tide and Tigers battled through four lead changes in the first nine minutes. Neither team was able to take a clear lead until Alabama went on an 11-0 run midway through the half to take a double-figure lead. Alabama went on to hold a 32-26 advantage at the intermission. The 26 points by Mizzou was the second-fewest points allowed by the Tide in a half this season (held Ball State to 21 points in the first half on Nov. 16).

Alabama came out firing in the second half with a quick 7-0 run over the opening 1:57 stretch to take its largest lead of the game, 39-26, with 18:03 remaining in the contest.

Mizzou would battle back with a 9-0 run of its own to cut the lead to 39-35, however, Alabama forced turnovers in back-to-back possessions to put the Tide back up by eight, 43-35, at the 15:44 mark.

That was when Johnson Jr., whose previous season high was four points, took over by scoring nine points in a span of just over five minutes, helping the Tide keep it a three possession game.

Mizzou had one last gasp and whittled the lead to just six points, but freshman guard Kira Lewis Jr. hit a timely three-pointer to give Alabama a 64-55 lead with 2:24 left to play. From there, the Tide went going 6-of-7 from the charity stripe to result in the final score.

In addition to Alabama's two double-figure scorers, Lewis Jr. and junior Dazon Ingramadded nine points apiece, while sophomore Alex Reese scored seven points. All 10 Crimson Tide players who saw action on the night scored at least three points. Alabama held the lead for over 35 minutes in this game and did not trail in the second half.

Alabama will close out the current two-game road swing when it travels to Knoxville, Tenn., as it squares off against No. 3 Tennessee on Saturday afternoon. The game will tipoff at 1 p.m. CT and will be televised on ESPN2.

Alabama Men’s Basketball Returns to Winning Ways with 70-60 Victory at Missouri - University of Alabama Athletics

We have to find some consistency on the basketball court and right now we do not have that kind of play. We look good for a stretch and then look like we have never been on a basketball court. Just need to keep working everyday to get better for the dance, hopefully.

What has happened to Mizzou basketball? The no-shows for a conference game last night was both startling and embarrassing. When Missouri was added to the SEC I thought that would be their calling card. Cuonzo Martin is coaching just like he did at Tennessee and Cali.

Wow, a lot of upset folks out there after a win. Willing to bet any of y'all would take any sort of win in football over Clemson instead of losing at this point. We won the game convincingly. Let them back in at times, but prevailed. We are scoring more points consistently this year compared to last year, so there is a major difference in this team. You gotta score points to be competitive. I felt like last year we were always in the 50's and 60's, and occasionally reaching the 70's. When you can't score you are forced to play good defense, but when you score points you are allowing yourself to fall a little bit in other aspects of the game and still give yourself a chance to win. All this shit where y'all expect us to be Duke is ridiculous. We're a Top 25 team that can hope to go on a run when it matters, we're not a National Championship contender, so the snide remarks are just old and played out. We're more competitive now than the last many years, so if you would prefer the last regime or the one before that, just say so and let that be the end of it. Kentucky was a good win after the last six years of whoopings we took from them. Johnson had to start from scratch after what Grant left and did, so he will continue to separate himself with time. Can't be done overnight, and how much fun was last year's team that went to the tournament? Be happy for the win. Being negative all of the time is bad for your health and truthfully not really fair to these guys on the team that are putting in all of this work.

Wow, a lot of upset folks out there after a win. Willing to bet any of y'all would take any sort of win in football over Clemson instead of losing at this point. We won the game convincingly. Let them back in at times, but prevailed. We are scoring more points consistently this year compared to last year, so there is a major difference in this team. You gotta score points to be competitive. I felt like last year we were always in the 50's and 60's, and occasionally reaching the 70's. When you can't score you are forced to play good defense, but when you score points you are allowing yourself to fall a little bit in other aspects of the game and still give yourself a chance to win. All this shit where y'all expect us to be Duke is ridiculous. We're a Top 25 team that can hope to go on a run when it matters, we're not a National Championship contender, so the snide remarks are just old and played out. We're more competitive now than the last many years, so if you would prefer the last regime or the one before that, just say so and let that be the end of it. Kentucky was a good win after the last six years of whoopings we took from them. Johnson had to start from scratch after what Grant left and did, so he will continue to separate himself with time. Can't be done overnight, and how much fun was last year's team that went to the tournament? Be happy for the win. Being negative all of the time is bad for your health and truthfully not really fair to these guys on the team that are putting in all of this work.

Tennessee could be #1 in basketball this week.

Tennessee could be #1 in basketball this week.

They also had the benefit of Bruce Pearl setting up the program to be successful and decent coaching after him to get it back on track.

They also had the benefit of Bruce Pearl setting up the program to be successful and decent coaching after him to get it back on track.

And Cuonzo Martin really went places with Pearl's pieces. The basketball program can be as dangerous at Alabama as Tennessee or the barn. Rick Barnes is the answer to the riddle and not much else. He was the answer at Texas, but they decided winning wasn't enough and went with Shaka Smart. How's that working out? Get the right coach and everything and anything is possible. It only takes 12 scholarship players and a surly coach that knows exactly what he's doing.

And Cuonzo Martin really went places with Pearl's pieces. The basketball program can be as dangerous at Alabama as Tennessee or the barn. Rick Barnes is the answer to the riddle and not much else. He was the answer at Texas, but they decided winning wasn't enough and went with Shaka Smart. How's that working out? Get the right coach and everything and anything is possible. It only takes 12 scholarship players and a surly coach that knows exactly what he's doing.

Martin was there three seasons and won 60% of his games with a Sweet Sixteen appearance. I don't consider that an implosion as you are eluding to. Rick Barnes was at 51% before this year, but his hot start has him over 60% now. You act like he just caught fire Year 1 and turned them into a force to be reckoned with. We made it just as far as Tennessee did last year, and lost to the eventual National Champions that destroyed everyone.

Comparison below. You have one guy that took over a decent team and a program that had been successful for years under previous coaches, and then you have one that took over a program that had stalled under the last couple before him. Avery started better, and it is now time to take the next step, agreed, but to act as if Barnes is the key and just killing it at Tennessee when before they were nothing is misleading and not true.

2015–16 Tennessee 15–19 6–12 12th
2016–17 Tennessee 16–16 8–10 T–9th
2017–18 Tennessee 26–9 13–5T–1st NCAA Division I Round of 32
2018–19 Tennessee 15–1 4-0

2015–16 Alabama 18–15 8–10 10th NIT First Round
2016–17 Alabama 19–15 10–8 T–5th NIT First Round
2017–18 Alabama 20–16 8–10 T–9th NCAA Second Round
2018–19 Alabama 10–5 1–2

Martin was there three seasons and won 60% of his games, I don't consider that an implosion as you are eluding to. Rick Barnes was at 51% before this year, but his hot start has him over 60% now. You act like he just caught fire Year 1 and turned them into a force to be reckoned with. We made it just as far as Tennessee did last year, and lost to the eventual National Champions that destroyed everyone.

So what "effect" would Pearl's ignominious departure from Knoxville have on Rick Barnes vol's program that he inherited? Cuonzo was encouraged to look around and was flunking the eye test, just that simple. You mentioned the talent and muscle memory that Pearl left behind with his team and he did. But Martin was the beneficiary of that momentum. In the end, Martin was leaking badly and the fans and media knew it.

From the moment Rick Barnes got to Knoxville I saw a big difference in attitude and style of play. His first year I was even willing to argue with Tennessee fans that he was the real deal and times would again be changing for the better. Some vols knew enough about basketball and the eye test that they got it. Now, they all have 20/20 vision.

It's not personal 334, but save your stats, they mean nothing to people who watch sports and know what they are looking at. I also don't need a slide rule to know how we lost our last football game and I also get why we look the same in year 4 as we did in year 1.

Martin was there three seasons and won 60% of his games, I don't consider that an implosion as you are eluding to. Rick Barnes was at 51% before this year, but his hot start has him over 60% now. You act like he just caught fire Year 1 and turned them into a force to be reckoned with. We made it just as far as Tennessee did last year, and lost to the eventual National Champions that destroyed everyone.

So what "effect" would Pearl's ignominious departure from Knoxville have on Rick Barnes vol's program that he inherited? Cuonzo was encouraged to look around and was flunking the eye test, just that simple. You mentioned the talent and muscle memory that Pearl left behind with his team and he did. But Martin was the beneficiary of that momentum. In the end, Martin was leaking badly and the fans and media knew it.

From the moment Rick Barnes got to Knoxville I saw a big difference in attitude and style of play. His first year I was even willing to argue with Tennessee fans that he was the real deal and times would again be changing for the better. Some vols knew enough about basketball and the eye test that they got it. Now, they all have 20/20 vision.

It's not personal 334, but save your stats, they mean nothing to people who watch sports and know what they are looking at. I also don't need a slide rule to know how we lost our last football game and I also get why we look the same in year 4 as we did in year 1.

Martin's last season in Knoxville they went to the SWEET 16!!! You may need to check your eyes, because you're clearly not seeing what the record books and reality are showing. What do you even mean stats mean nothing for people that watch sports? What you're watching are stats as they unfold, so your eyes are playing tricks on you apparently. Barnes is a solid coach, but he did not start from scratch like Johnson did. There was no handing of the torch, no talent, no money, no respect for our program. Barnes was the beneficiary of most of those things at Tennessee. I know I've said this to you before, but if you want someone better for our program, get out your checkbook and make a difference. I love the know it alls, you just seemingly always have the right answers no matter the topic or event. One thing Johnson has had issues with is fielding a young team. We finally have some depth and some tenure, so let's see how this thing ends up before you and others start anointing this a total loss.

Duke lost to Syracuse the other night, oh the horror that program is facing. Duke lost to a five loss Syracuse team at home. Fire Coach K. Apply this logic to our program and that's what we are seeing from a lot of fans. See how ludicrous that sounds?

Martin's last season in Knoxville they went to the SWEET 16!!! You may need to check your eyes, because you're clearly not seeing what the record books and reality are showing.

Yes, and he went to the NIT, his first 2 seasons. He was being compared to Pearl his entire brief tenure and he wasn't measuring up to the fans or many in the administration. Plus Pearl was still hanging out in no man's land and the fans knew what they had and still wanted it. Why would stats tell that story?

And for your stat-a-thon there's always this:

Because there are 3 kinds of lies: "Lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Barnes is a solid coach, but he did not start from scratch like Johnson did. There was no handing of the torch, no talent, no money, no respect for our program. Barnes was the beneficiary of most of those things at Tennessee.

Barnes pedigree and recruiting prowess would suggest he's a lot better than good. Avery Johnson had a decent team his inaugural season but more importantly, is on schedule to accomplish the same in year 4 and with more overall talent. They will beat teams you wouldn't expect. (see Kentucky) His first year at the Capstone, he also beat Wichita State, Notre Dame, Clemson on the road. The more things change, the more they stay the same, so far.

I know I've said this to you before, but if you want someone better for our program, get out your checkbook and make a difference.

Straw man argument so soon? I thought you might just let the stats speak for themselves?

I love the know it alls, you just seemingly always have the right answers no matter the topic or event.

I was sure we were talking the specifics of Alabama and Tennessee basketball. So personal.

One thing Johnson has had issues with is fielding a young team. We finally have some depth and some tenure, so let's see how this thing ends up before you and others start anointing this a total loss.

Duke lost to Syracuse the other night, oh the horror that program is facing. Duke lost to a five loss Syracuse team at home. Fire Coach K. Apply this logic to our program and that's what we are seeing from a lot of fans. See how ludicrous that sounds?

Patience has never been an issue with me. AJ gets along well with everyone and the players don't seem to tire of his voice and results yet. That probably suggest we will get plenty more where this came from. When it all stops being fun for everyone I'm sure we all will readily "see" it.

Last edited:
Martin's last season in Knoxville they went to the SWEET 16!!! You may need to check your eyes, because you're clearly not seeing what the record books and reality are showing.

Yes, and he went to the NIT, his first 2 seasons. He was being compared to Pearl his entire brief tenure and he wasn't measuring up to the fans or many in the administration. Plus Pearl was still hanging out in no man's land and the fans knew what they had and still wanted it. Why would stats tell that story?

Because there are 3 kinds of lies: "Lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Barnes is a solid coach, but he did not start from scratch like Johnson did. There was no handing of the torch, no talent, no money, no respect for our program. Barnes was the beneficiary of most of those things at Tennessee.

Barnes pedigree and recruiting prowess would suggest he's a lot better than good. Avery Johnson had a decent team his inaugural season but more importantly, is on schedule to accomplish the same in year 4 and with more overall talent. They will beat teams you wouldn't expect. (see Kentucky) His first year at the Capstone, he also beat Wichita State, Notre Dame, Clemson on the road. The more things change, the more they stay the same, so far.

I know I've said this to you before, but if you want someone better for our program, get out your checkbook and make a difference.

Straw man argument so soon? I thought you might just let the stats speak for themselves?

I love the know it alls, you just seemingly always have the right answers no matter the topic or event.

I was sure we were talking the specifics of Alabama and Tennessee basketball. So personal.

One thing Johnson has had issues with is fielding a young team. We finally have some depth and some tenure, so let's see how this thing ends up before you and others start anointing this a total loss.

Patience has never been an issue with me. AJ gets along well with everyone and the players don't seem to tire of his voice and results yet. That probably suggest we will get plenty more where this came from. When it all stops being fun for everyone I'm sure we all will readily "see" it.

It's not personal at all, a simple observation honestly. And once again, if you're not happy with our coach, do something about it instead of settling like you are. We won a basketball game and it turns into a damn discussion on why our coach isn't the right one. You're acting like a typical journalist, just making comments now so you can say "I told you so" later. All the negativity is unwarranted. I was very upset with the loss to A&M, but I also see we are scoring more points than at any time in Avery's tenure, which means the team is playing better together, and that gives us a chance to win. Once again, we're not a title contender, but giving ourselves a puncher's chance is enough to make me happy until I see the resources we funnel into the football program are seen with the basketball program as well.

Out 2-2 record is about right but it should be a loss to UK and LSU and wins over A&M and Mizzou. Now we go forward and lets see how Avery and the team face the challenge.

Forrest Gump's Mother was speaking about Avery's BB teams when she was talking about that box of chocolates....make note

17 and 15 and off to the NIT.....This is Alabama Basketball........I'm buckled anyway
11-5 with 15 games left—a bit of a math issue here.

Sans the math mistake you're suggesting the team is going to go through SEC play at roughly a .333 clip. At the same time, and without going into game specifics, we're also looking at a team that's two buzzer beaters away from being 13-3: 3-1 in conference play. They are looking at being at least two of five in this five game stretch. A few weeks ago a lot would have conceded 1-5: with the win coming at home against A&M. (edit: live refresh sees you just mentioned that.)

There are too many variables running right now to put a win total on this team, much less a destination. Just as one example I pointed out last week. We're not seeing home court domination this season like we have in the past. Just this week alone out of the seven SEC contests only two home teams came away with wins.

It's not personal at all, a simple observation honestly. And once again, if you're not happy with our coach, do something about it instead of settling like you are. We won a basketball game and it turns into a damn discussion on why our coach isn't the right one. You're acting like a typical journalist, just making comments now so you can say "I told you so" later. All the negativity is unwarranted.

You live in a world of extremes. As far as your sensitivity to constructive criticism, demanding change is hardly the problem in BamaLand when it comes to basketball. Go back and read the threads that have been started and commented on by the majority over here about this years basketball team. Good, bad, or indifferent, it should take you all of 5 minutes. Did anyone actually make a single comment in actual time when we played Mizzou last night? Compared to our football program, "all this unwarranted negativity" doesn't amount to a blip on the radar.

17 and 15 and off to the NIT.....This is Alabama Basketball........I'm buckled anyway
11-5 with 15 games left—a bit of a math issue here.

Sans the math mistake you're suggesting the team is going to go through SEC play at roughly a .333 clip. At the same time, and without going into game specifics, we're also looking at a team that's two buzzer beaters away from being 13-3: 3-1 in conference play. They are looking at being at least two of five in this five game stretch. A few weeks ago a lot would have conceded 1-5: with the win coming at home against A&M. (edit: live refresh sees you just mentioned that.)

There are too many variables running right now to put a win total on this team, much less a destination. Just as one example I pointed out last week. We're not seeing home court domination this season like we have in the past. Just this week alone out of the seven SEC contests only two home teams came away with wins.
Terry ...I am making lite of how Bama BB ends each season.......It is a joke OK.......

Alabama Crimson Tide Index | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Then again 17-15 isn't that far off

Back
Top Bottom