| PRO Alabama football in the 2023 NFL Draft

Some thoughts I've gathered from some friends who cover the draft for those interested...

Probably the only thing keeping Bryce from going to the Panthers at #1 is the (very) outside chance at a pick trade. The Panthers love Bryce. Some teams are/were pretty concerned about his size, Carolina isn't. They also feel they have the pieces in place on the OL to make it all work with Bryce who will need protection (that OL includes Bradley Bozeman).

Houston is expected to take Will Anderson or Tyree Wilson. DeMeco Ryans loves Will Anderson. GM Nick Caseiro supposedly leans Tyree Wilson. Usually the GM gets his man, but in this situation maybe not. Bryce is the top player on their board, but Stroud is below both Anderson and Wilson.

The Cardinals will have no shortage of trade offers for their 3rd overall pick. AZ really likes Will Anderson, so if the Texans pass on him, he's more than likely headed to the desert. They also really like LT Paris Johnson, who would be a target if they slide down a few spots.

The Colts want a QB, the Colts need a QB. The general consensus is they would take Stroud, but they've been very secretive on which one they like the most. The S2 test absolutely hurt Stroud though and could be the thing that makes him slide further while the Colts take Will Levis (which would be a massive reach IMO) or another QB. The Will Levis "rumor" that started earlier this week on reddit that stated he'd be the #1 pick was a grade A stir. It apparently caused the Vegas odds to change dramatically (which was odd), but there was zero truth to it.

Seattle sits at 5. Some believe that they'd grab Anthony Richardson (another massive reach IMO). The safer bet is probably Jalen Carter.

On Jalen Carter, his off field issues have done him no favors (obviously). Unless a team just completely abandons their plan, it will cause him to slide out of the top 3... On talent alone, he would have been #1 on many NFL boards. An example of the ripple effect of his actions though... The Falcons are currently sitting on the 8th pick. There is talk that even Atlanta would pass on Carter over concerns of him being too close to the environment that has caused him issues. His agent, Drew Rosenhouse, publicly stated that they were not talking with any teams outside the top 10. That was dumb for a number of reasons, not least of which is teams that would want to trade up and grab him.

If you take away Hendon Hooker's ACL injury, he'd be a top 10 lock. Take away a couple years of age, and he'd be top 5. In the end, he's likely going to end up in a good situation though where he ends up in a good spot and won't be rushed back onto the field.

There is a chance (small but a chance) that Jamyr Gibbs sneaks into the end of the 1st round.

Not Bama related, but Lamar just signed a huge 5-year deal with the Ravens. He got made fun of and mocked for not using an agent, but he got a pretty sweet deal. Very similar to Hurts’ deal. I still think it’s crazy not to use an agent, but he made it work. Could save him a few dozen million.

Not Bama related, but Lamar just signed a huge 5-year deal with the Ravens. He got made fun of and mocked for not using an agent, but he got a pretty sweet deal. Very similar to Hurts’ deal. I still think it’s crazy not to use an agent, but he made it work. Could save him a few dozen million.

If I were him, I'd have an agent, but that's his call. Glad he made it work... a contract that big, a few million on either side doesn't make much difference anyway (although there is more to it than that). But Lamar is good for the league and fun to watch... happy for him.

His original deal was not too far off from Jalen's aside from a few things. He did do better, but damn was it a circus and means his next contract (assuming he is around still) will be even messier.

Back
Top Bottom