| FTBL Alabama football coaching staff changes and updates...

The delayed official announcements for CKD’s staff was wise. I’m sure he knew his staff would take a while to solidify. So many moving pieces as the NFL becomes more attractive to college coaches. I guess the traditional role of Spring practice forging a team’s identity for Fall is out the window. Looks like Preseason camp will be where college programs put all their energy and resources.

He better have a plan. This is not Washington. With that said why roll Grubb out in front of the press and give him so much air time if they thought he was a flight risk? I am sure they were trying to balance the roster management and signing day but letting Grubb get out there and saying "I am your OC" does not seem wise. At the time sure he was but if this was thought to happen temper it.

I've always looked at it this way. CNS has had a shit load of coaches leave and we as fans wailed and gnashed teeth, but we kept on winning. Give CKD a chance, I believe hes a pretty damn good HC and know what hes doing. Not a knock on the assistants but if they were so damn good they would be CKD.

I've always looked at it this way. CNS has had a shit load of coaches leave and we as fans wailed and gnashed teeth, but we kept on winning. Give CKD a chance, I believe hes a pretty damn good HC and know what hes doing. Not a knock on the assistants but if they were so damn good they would be CKD.

As I stated before, I wouldn't care if we had a few years into it, but it sucks before Year 1 even kicks off. Already anxious with the best to ever do it leaving, now trying to replace it and seeing this really gets you thinking a lot of things. I still believe in Coach DeBoer, but just when you thought the boat stopped rocking, there is goes again.

I know you're being half glass full here, but eff him. In my mind, you give a man your word you honor your word. He gave DeBoer his word, he gave the players his word, and he gave the fans his word. To go back on it, what, two days later shows zero moral code. I personally don't give an eff if it's "better for his family". They had to have spoken long before this and came to a decision/agreement that Tuscaloosa was the place they'd be. Had a chance to stay at Washington/Seattle, but came to Tuscaloosa anyways.

This is the stuff @ElephantStomp speaks about each time we get on a transfer's butt, and I am 100% holding this guy as responsible as I do the players. Sold players on his offense and vision for them and bolts not even a week later. He puts in a year, no problem, but to say what he said and sold that to the players is bullcrap. Now him poaching other staff? He'd be getting a physical visit from me if I were DeBoer knowing all the hard work I already put in and this snake is already trying to dismantle that. Different than a 10-15 year Saban tenure when the machine was already greased and rolling. Challenges are already ten fold, and now this. I refuse to be happy or looking at whatever bright side to this one. To be fair as well, I feel the same way about Bill O'Brien and what he did to Ohio State.

You feel however you want to feel about it. But what exactly did Grubb tell DeBoer? What did he promise him? I ask honestly, because haven't heard or seen any promises. In fact, it was well known Grubb wanted the UW job, but they didn't want him. Had that happened, he would have never joined DeBoer to begin with. Then, another good situation opened for him... the Seahawks. Just so happens, he doesn't have to uproot his family and travel 2500 miles away. Not sure how I can blame a guy for opening door #2 if he feels that option is better for him and his family. And it isn't as if any of this came as a shock to DeBoer, who as far as we know, gave him his blessing from the start. Regardless of all of that, it was highly unlikely Grubb was going to be at UA for more than 2 years, maybe not more than 1. In a perfect world, he'd stay, along with Huff. But it doesn't work that way. Bottom line, Alabama hired DeBoer. DeBoer hasn't worked his way to where he is by Mr. Magoo'ing it along the way. Personally, I have faith in him to make the right move(s), again.

He better have a plan. This is not Washington. With that said why roll Grubb out in front of the press and give him so much air time if they thought he was a flight risk? I am sure they were trying to balance the roster management and signing day but letting Grubb get out there and saying "I am your OC" does not seem wise. At the time sure he was but if this was thought to happen temper it.

It wasn't really like that. It was a REC event, no press were there. One of the emcees (who does work in media) for a later event was there shared that photo/quote (no video, just a quote). But all the coaches introduced themselves in that manner before they briefly spoke to the crowd. Although, I'm told Grubb's body language and overall energy was not on par with the rest of the staff... to the point that it sent off some weird vibes to a few in attendance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, I'm personally more surprised that Seattle offered Grubb than I am that Grubb left. IMO, Huff would be more difficult to replace, if he does indeed join Grubb. The chatter out of Mobile last week made it sound like Grubb's departure was almost a certainty. As it drug on, confidence began to build that he was staying in Tuscaloosa... but the smoke never fully went away. I don't know if they waited until the portal closed or not to announce it, but that does make at least some sense. I posted last week that the fact that the back channel chatter on it had gone dark was weird and unusual. So the waiting for the portal to close stuff certainly holds a bit of water and would also indicate that DeBoer has known for a while now.

As I stated before, I wouldn't care if we had a few years into it, but it sucks before Year 1 even kicks off. Already anxious with the best to ever do it leaving, now trying to replace it and seeing this really gets you thinking a lot of things. I still believe in Coach DeBoer, but just when you thought the boat stopped rocking, there is goes again.
Probably agree to a point as we were ready to shit can Saban after his first year. Pretty sure none of us are the "experts" we think we are or we would be in that field of work making millions. Let the seasons play out, not like we have a choice in the matter.😁

You feel however you want to feel about it. But what exactly did Grubb tell DeBoer? What did he promise him? I ask honestly, because haven't heard or seen any promises. In fact, it was well known Grubb wanted the UW job, but they didn't want him. Had that happened, he would have never joined DeBoer to begin with. Then, another good situation opened for him... the Seahawks. Just so happens, he doesn't have to uproot his family and travel 2500 miles away. Not sure how I can blame a guy for opening door #2 if he feels that option is better for him and his family. And it isn't as if any of this came as a shock to DeBoer, who as far as we know, gave him his blessing from the start. Regardless of all of that, it was highly unlikely Grubb was going to be at UA for more than 2 years, maybe not more than 1. In a perfect world, he'd stay, along with Huff. But it doesn't work that way. Bottom line, Alabama hired DeBoer. DeBoer hasn't worked his way to where he is by Mr. Magoo'ing it along the way. Personally, I have faith in him to make the right move(s), again.

It wasn't really like that. It was a REC event, no press were there. One of the emcees (who does work in media) for a later event was there shared that photo/quote (no video, just a quote). But all the coaches introduced themselves in that manner before they briefly spoke to the crowd. Although, I'm told Grubb's body language and overall energy was not on par with the rest of the staff... to the point that it sent off some weird vibes to a few in attendance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, I'm personally more surprised that Seattle offered Grubb than I am that Grubb left. IMO, Huff would be more difficult to replace, if he does indeed join Grubb. The chatter out of Mobile last week made it sound like Grubb's departure was almost a certainty. As it drug on, confidence began to build that he was staying in Tuscaloosa... but the smoke never fully went away. I don't know if they waited until the portal closed or not to announce it, but that does make at least some sense. I posted last week that the fact that the back channel chatter on it had gone dark was weird and unusual. So the waiting for the portal to close stuff certainly holds a bit of water and would also indicate that DeBoer has known for a while now.

As I stated, you recruit, you tell the big money boosters you're the OC, you have planned to be the OC. Also stated, if he's selling that, his family had an agreement and a plan, so uprooting your family at that point isn't a concern. It's the nature of the career he chose.

Max two years? That's fine! Better than a week and selling 16-22 year olds a different story. Let's be honest, who thinks he needed or had to get DeBoer's blessing? We'll be ok, but just a shitty fucking move and will never be ok in my book.

Probably agree to a point as we were ready to shit can Saban after his first year. Pretty sure none of us are the "experts" we think we are or we would be in that field of work making millions. Let the seasons play out, not like we have a choice in the matter.😁

No, I agree. Stability though is key in any organization. The CEO leaves that quadrupled the stock price leaves, and of course investors get weary. The more recruiting becomes dolkars and cents game, you need full confidence of those picking up the tab.

As I stated, you recruit, you tell the big money boosters you're the OC, you have planned to be the OC. Also stated, if he's selling that, his family had an agreement and a plan, so uprooting your family at that point isn't a concern. It's the nature of the career he chose.

Max two years? That's fine! Better than a week and selling 16-22 year olds a different story. Let's be honest, who thinks he needed or had to get DeBoer's blessing? We'll be ok, but just a shitty fucking move and will never be ok in my book.

That works both ways. O'Brien was the OC at Ohio State for what? 3 weeks? Then jumped for an opportunity he liked better. Nature of the career, especially in that profession where there's a domino chain reaction to hirings and firings.

Fans seem to be taking it much worse than recruits. That's nothing more than a guess on my part since I don't know what recruits are saying about it, but I haven't seen any reports of them being too upset. Or feeling spurned, whatever.

That works both ways. O'Brien was the OC at Ohio State for what? 3 weeks? Then jumped for an opportunity he liked better. Nature of the career, especially in that profession where there's a domino chain reaction to hirings and firings.

Fans seem to be taking it much worse than recruits. That's nothing more than a guess on my part since I don't know what recruits are saying about it, but I haven't seen any reports of them being too upset. Or feeling spurned, whatever.

O'Brien was just as bad too. He doesn't get a pass with me either. The issue is how can we fix a broken atructure when you have things like this happening? Outta have to pay a fine until you finish a year. If you sign your name and have 16-22 year olds making decisions on you, you should have to honor your word and/contract. Gotta lead by example and the griwn ups outta be leading that charge.

O'Brien was just as bad too. He doesn't get a pass with me either. The issue is how can we fix a broken atructure when you have things like this happening? Outta have to pay a fine until you finish a year. If you sign your name and have 16-22 year olds making decisions on you, you should have to honor your word and/contract. Gotta lead by example and the griwn ups outta be leading that charge.
And if there is evidence that you bring "friends" from your old employer with you to your new employer, you are liable to buy out that person's contract as well.

Back
Top Bottom