| MBB/WBB Alabama falls at Georgia; 82-76

2.jpg

This is Oats offense like it or not. I am telling you guys the team and coaches drank the rat poison and had to have let off the practice intensity somehow. Stopped paying attention to the little things that matter. Now that they have been taken down several notches they have lost their confidence. Bad time to do that but sometimes these teams get their backs to the wall and come out swinging. No idea what happened last night or if this team has it in them. Surely this has to be rock bottom. If not the next 3 games will do it for them.

We did it when Avery was coach as well. It doesn't work. We turn the ball over more times with this method than we do taking three pointers from it. We have guys wide open for dump offs in the lane, but we get airborn and kick it out fully covered, have nowhere to go with the ball once we're in the air, and just launch it to the defenders. It just gets old. If you want to maintain your dribble through the lane and get a solid pass to your guy, that's one thing. But this no look getting airborn bullshit has a high bust percentage attached to it. Davidson last night continues to try and lob the ball over 6'9 and taller defenders while in the paint and in traffic and it gets stolen. Just a lot you wouldn't expect from the cream of the crop athletes. The sad thing is that the NBA does the same crap and is sloppy. Professional athletes are so damn talented and good at what they do that I could only imagine how much better and efficient they would be without the showboating and care free attitudes they portray where their only focus is to look cute on TV.

We did it when Avery was coach as well. It doesn't work. We turn the ball over more times with this method than we do taking three pointers from it. We have guys wide open for dump offs in the lane, but we get airborn and kick it out fully covered, have nowhere to go with the ball once we're in the air, and just launch it to the defenders. It just gets old. If you want to maintain your dribble through the lane and get a solid pass to your guy, that's one thing. But this no look getting airborn bullshit has a high bust percentage attached to it. Davidson last night continues to try and lob the ball over 6'9 and taller defenders while in the paint and in traffic and it gets stolen. Just a lot you wouldn't expect from the cream of the crop athletes. The sad thing is that the NBA does the same crap and is sloppy. Professional athletes are so damn talented and good at what they do that I could only imagine how much better and efficient they would be without the showboating and care free attitudes they portray where their only focus is to look cute on TV.
Agree with this but this is Oats philosophy like it or not. It works when players are defending at a high level to soften the blow of the poor shooting and turnovers. The key to all of this is defending and with Herb Jones he was able to make up for a lot of issues last year. Even Petty improved significantly and was good last year. I do not see anyone close to those two on the defensive end this year. Maybe unrealistic but it is what is required to be successful with the tempo offense that is well just sloppy at times as you said.

No leadership on the floor!!! No Herb Jones on the roster to step up and take control. Rojas or Gary probably the closest to being that dude. Need a guy that says “Enough of the bullshit! You’re either in or you’re out! No more half ass effort!”

Agree with this but this is Oats philosophy like it or not. It works when players are defending at a high level to soften the blow of the poor shooting and turnovers. The key to all of this is defending and with Herb Jones he was able to make up for a lot of issues last year. Even Petty improved significantly and was good last year. I do not see anyone close to those two on the defensive end this year. Maybe unrealistic but it is what is required to be successful with the tempo offense that is well just sloppy at times as you said.

I am going off one game, but it allowed me to see SO much in that one in person opportunity. Like I said in my little synopsis, Shackelford is too thick. He is just a step too slow on defense and I feel he just can't maneuver like he did last year. He may be the exact same weight, but in person he's looks more like a Strong Safety than a Guard. Davidson was active, but was also a step too slow. I simply cannot tell you where Quinerly was on defense. Miles had a hurt wrist and then hurt what appeared to be his ankle. Ellis was all over the place. Rojas was all over the place, but only so agile with his knee. Bediako is solid, but still very unsure of things.

I saw a clip the other day of where Shaq was watching a the Lakers and he was telling Russell Westbrook, "you're playing too damn fast, slow it down a little and get under control". I feel like this is how we are playing. Fast and under zero control. They are top shelf athletes, they can all play fast, but if they can't control the ball at that speed it puts us where we currently are. Oats may need to slow the pace down a little and get outside of his comfort zone.

We talk about what makes Saban so good is that he adapts to his guys he has to work with. Oats needs to work on doing the same. We are more focused on getting in the paint now, so the up tempo isn't necessary if we plan to work the ball down low. If we want to go tempo and shoot threes, then that is fine. It's when we speed through a possession and attempt to get in the paint is where we are turning it over. I also saw, and heard, the frustration from Oats last night as he was simply trying to get Shackelford and Quinerly to run plays. Davidson was at the point, but he was shouting at the other two to move. Just the simple ones where they go from the three point line and shoot through the paint to create a log jam in hopes they make it out the other side free for a shot or potentially opening up one of our bigs down low. He was screaming two feet away from those two guys and they simply did not react. He had to yell three times to get them to move once. I could not believe it. He stood there and shook his head once the ball headed to the other side of the court. He's simply going to have to play guys on the bench that listen, or he's going to have to change his philosophy to get more out of the product he chooses to go with.

I am going off one game, but it allowed me to see SO much in that one in person opportunity. Like I said in my little synopsis, Shackelford is too thick. He is just a step too slow on defense and I feel he just can't maneuver like he did last year. He may be the exact same weight, but in person he's looks more like a Strong Safety than a Guard. Davidson was active, but was also a step too slow. I simply cannot tell you where Quinerly was on defense. Miles had a hurt wrist and then hurt what appeared to be his ankle. Ellis was all over the place. Rojas was all over the place, but only so agile with his knee. Bediako is solid, but still very unsure of things.

I saw a clip the other day of where Shaq was watching a the Lakers and he was telling Russell Westbrook, "you're playing too damn fast, slow it down a little and get under control". I feel like this is how we are playing. Fast and under zero control. They are top shelf athletes, they can all play fast, but if they can't control the ball at that speed it puts us where we currently are. Oats may need to slow the pace down a little and get outside of his comfort zone.

We talk about what makes Saban so good is that he adapts to his guys he has to work with. Oats needs to work on doing the same. We are more focused on getting in the paint now, so the up tempo isn't necessary if we plan to work the ball down low. If we want to go tempo and shoot threes, then that is fine. It's when we speed through a possession and attempt to get in the paint is where we are turning it over. I also saw, and heard, the frustration from Oats last night as he was simply trying to get Shackelford and Quinerly to run plays. Davidson was at the point, but he was shouting at the other two to move. Just the simple ones where they go from the three point line and shoot through the paint to create a log jam in hopes they make it out the other side free for a shot or potentially opening up one of our bigs down low. He was screaming two feet away from those two guys and they simply did not react. He had to yell three times to get them to move once. I could not believe it. He stood there and shook his head once the ball headed to the other side of the court. He's simply going to have to play guys on the bench that listen, or he's going to have to change his philosophy to get more out of the product he chooses to go with.
Fast and under zero control......Bingo

It looks like our guards get the ball and run straight to traffic and then try and determine what to do. JMO but Nate has too many low IQ athletes on his roster, but he is to blame for recruiting them.

I said a few weeks ago that I thought something was going on within the team and I still feel that way. I also agree with @UAgrad93 that we have absolutely no leadership on the floor! This team is really struggling and it is showing up in the loss column. If your starting 5 is not playing solid ball, make changes until someone or several someone's get the message. Personally, I would rathe lose a game with players giving max effort than with guys going through the motions. Bring in some of those kids off the bench that bust their butt every single day in practice and rarely get more than 2-3 minutes of playing time. Its simple really, if you aren't going to compete, your aren't going to play. There was no reason to lose to this UGA team last night.

Mentally and physically weak as a team. That's a bad combo that ain't getting fixed at this point. The momentum that Oats and the program built up the last 2 years has circled down the drain...
I still have hope we can go on a run and recapture some momentum. We still have a top 5 class comimg in + Nimari Burnett. Unless they decide to transfer, Bediako and JD will likely be back too. So we'll be an early favorite to win the SEC and secure a top 5 seed in the tournament.

I have no answer for this team though. It doesn't make any sense that we've completely flipped a switch and started playing this bad. Here are our wins (against good teams):

Gonzaga (15-2), Houston (17-2), Miami (14-5), South Dakota State (17-4), Drake (14-6) , La Tech (14-3), Tennessee (13-5), Florida (12-7), and LSU (15-4).

There's no way that's an anomaly. The sample size is large. But so are our losses. Oats deserves full on criticism, but the players also need to share the blame for zero accountability and leadership.

I said a few weeks ago that I thought something was going on within the team and I still feel that way. I also agree with @UAgrad93 that we have absolutely no leadership on the floor! This team is really struggling and it is showing up in the loss column. If your starting 5 is not playing solid ball, make changes until someone or several someone's get the message. Personally, I would rathe lose a game with players giving max effort than with guys going through the motions. Bring in some of those kids off the bench that bust their butt every single day in practice and rarely get more than 2-3 minutes of playing time. Its simple really, if you aren't going to compete, your aren't going to play. There was no reason to lose to this UGA team last night.
Agreed!! When I coached, I would gladly take an L using guys that gave me max effort, rather than use guys that seemingly didn’t “give a shit!” My policy was “get right or get gone!”

Also even it is detrimental to this team, I sort of embrace Oats' stubbornness to keep this team playing fast. I don't know how long you guys have followed the program, but I've been watching since I was a kid. I have begged my entire life that we hire someone who truly believes in an his offensive philosophy. I don't want another Grant or Avery, who literally had nothing but hold the ball until there's five seconds on the shot clock and throw up a prayer.

But until he fixes our defensive woes, it's a moot point. We're essentially a Gottfried team now.

I've said this a couple of times as well the problem started after the Houston game. They also have an issue with talent coming off the bench when you have to use Johnson and Holt you have a problem.

Also even it is detrimental to this team, I sort of embrace Oats' stubbornness to keep this team playing fast. I don't know how long you guys have followed the program, but I've been watching since I was a kid. I have begged my entire life that we hire someone who truly believes in an his offensive philosophy. I don't want another Grant or Avery, who literally had nothing but hold the ball until there's five seconds on the shot clock and throw up a prayer.

But until he fixes our defensive woes, it's a moot point. We're essentially a Gottfried team now.

I have been watching since the Leon Douglas and Wendell Hudson days...back when you were lucky to see 2-3 games a year on TV. I listened to the radio.

Back
Top Bottom