| MBB/WBB Alabama falls at Georgia; 82-76

The Alabama men's basketball team will travel to Athens, Ga., to take on the Georgia Bulldogs Tuesday night at 5:30 p.m. CT (6:30 p.m. ET) on SEC Network. It will mark the only meeting between the two teams during the regular season.

Most recently, the Crimson Tide used a 30-9 game-ending run to put away a pesky Missouri Tigers team, 86-76, last Saturday night inside Coleman Coliseum. Alabama came back from 14-point deficits in each half to record its second consecutive victory after going through a season-long three-game losing streak.

Tuesday's game will be the 151st meeting on the hardwood between the Bulldogs and Tide schools, which is the seventh-most games UA has played against any one opponent. The Crimson Tide owns a 98-52 lead in the series, with the 98 victories ranking fifth in program history.

The Broadcast​

• Tuesday's game will be available on SEC Network with Tom Hart (play-by-play) Dane Bradshaw (analyst) and Alyssa Lange (sideline) on the call
  • The radio broadcast can be heard on the Crimson Tide Sports Network with Chris Stewart (play-by-play) and Bryan Passink (analyst) on the call while Tom Stipe (engineer) is turning the dials. The pregame show will begin one hour prior to tipoff.

Notes You Need To Know​

• The Crimson Tide remains just outside the top-25 rankings for Week 12. Alabama is one of the top teams that are receiving votes to be ranked in both the Associated Press (77 votes, No. 27) and Ferris Mowers USA Today Coaches Poll (53 votes, No. 26) according to the most recent national rankings, which were revealed Monday afternoon.
  • According to the other metric rankings, Alabama is ranked in the following (as of 1/24): No. 16 KenPom.com, No. 18 Sagarin, No. 19 ESPN.com BPI and No. 21 in the NCAA NET rankings. The Tide's "Best" NET wins (Quad 1) include: Gonzaga (No. 2), Houston (No. 3), LSU (No. 10), Tennessee (No. 11) and at Florida (No. 34).
  • Alabama is the only team in the country to have four wins versus teams ranked in the top 11 of the NCAA NET rankings (No. 2 Gonzaga, No. 3 Houston, No. 10 LSU, No. 11 Tennessee).
  • Nine of Alabama's 12 non-conference opponents (as of 1/23) are either in first place or tied for first in their respective conference. UA's 12 non-conference foes have combined of 68-12 (.850) record in conference action.
  • Of the Tide's 12 remaining regular season contests, five games will be played against teams ranked in the top 10 of the NCAA NET Rankings: No. 4 Baylor (Saturday), at No. 5 Auburn (Feb. 1), No. 9 Kentucky (vs. UK Feb. 5, at UK Feb. 19), and at No. 10 LSU (March 5).
  • The Tide is 7-0 on the season when holding the opposition to under 70 points in a game. The achievement has only been done twice in conference play against then-No. 14 Tennessee (73-68 on Dec. 29) and then-No. 13 LSU (70-67 on Jan. 19).
  • Senior Keon Ellis is considered one of the top two-way players in the SEC. For the season, Ellis leads the league in free throw percentage (89.8 percent), ranks fifth in steals (2.0 spg) and tops the Tide in rebounding (6.2 rpg) while also averaging 12.0 ppg. He's stepped up his play on defense in league action, leading the SEC in conference games only at 3.0 steals per contest.
  • The Tide's schedule ranks No. 1 in the nation in every major rating system including: Average Opponent NET Ranking, KenPom.com, ESPN BPI, Sagarin Rankings and RealTimeRPI.
  • NET RANKING FACTS: Alabama has a NET Ranking of No. 20 in the nation as of 1/24 which is fifth-best in the SEC... UA leads the nation with four wins among the top 11 of the NCAA NET Rankings (No. 2 Gonzaga, No. 3 Houston, No. 10 LSU, No. 11 Tennessee)... of the 12 games remaining on the slate, five are Q1 opponents and five are Q2 ... UA is tied for third in the nation in Quad 1 wins (5) and ranks in a tie for sixth in combined Q1 and Q2 wins (7)... The Tide has five games remaining against teams ranked in the top 10 of the NCAA NET... Alabama has played the fewest Quad 4 opponents than any team in the nation.
  • UP NEXT: Alabama will step outside of conference play for the final time during the 2021-22 regular season when it takes on the No. 4/4 Baylor Bears in the Big 12/SEC Challenge. The contest, which will be televised on ESPN, is set to tip off at 3 p.m. CT.
Alabama vs Georgia

UGA is a pretty bad team, so losing to them is out of the question. I've watched them multiple times this year; they're different than Mizzou. UGA lacks talent, effort, and coaching. This needs to be a nice tune up game for what will be arguably the toughest three-game stretch in CBB. After this is Baylor, @ Auburn, and Kentucky. Sitting at 14-6 on a three-game winning streak is a lot better than going in with our backs against the wall after losing to one of the worst teams in basketball.

I've given up hope of them coming out and playing with high energy. If they didn't buy in after losing to Mizzou on the road, then they never will. Maybe we'll be fortunate and they'll start shooting well again.

I believe Juwan Gary will be out, so more PT for Rojas. Rojas has been the only one so far who has played the way Oats wants us to play. He's been our junkyard dog underneath and gives us high energy.

Bediako should have a decent game if he's more patient. Lately he's been a little erratic when they try to feed him inside and he's cost us turnovers. Before Houston, he seemed to have answered our prayers on having a big man who can get out an run, pass effectively, and have soft hands. Since then, he seems way too hesitant and has lost his confidence. This needs to be a game where we feature him more and give him some of his arrogance back.

I think we're gonna try and go to this one. I'm not expecting much out of Georgia, although they did beat the same Memphis team that beat us. Either way, hopefully we aren't ice freaking cold shooting to start the game.

This is where I'm a sucker.
Hey nothing wrong with being an optimist. I certainly am that with bama football. Bama basketball I am an optimist that we should be a very good program but not necessarily optimistic this group is going to figure it out this year. Loved to be wrong. They certainly have played really well in games earlier in the year and even the last few. Feels like they can do it but something is missing. Oats needs to figure it out because each L will dig a deeper and deeper hole. Hopeful we do not go back to the bubble conversations. Looked at the remaining games I am projecting a 7-5 ending. That would put us right at 20 wins in the regular season. Hopefully enough with the OOC wins to not be in the bubble conversation because I thought we had gotten beyond that crap.

I don't think we're playing bad defensively. UGA cannot miss right now. They're draining contested shots. It's infuriating because Mizzou did the same. Two of the worst offenses in the league and they have good shooting performances vs us on tight D.

Back
Top Bottom