| FTBL Alabama expected to hire Liberty assistant Robert Bala as ILB Coach.

No, not a bit. I do know he must be serious about his coaching career to make a move from a position coach from a smaller school to a school like UA. Make of that what you will, but I have a pretty good feeling that he's coming in with a LOT of needed energy.
Haven't been able to watch film of his group last year so far, but in terms of his stats, I like what I see. I want to watch the film so I have a better understanding of what we're getting, but he seems to be a good coach, and him being able to focus solely on his group will be good for him, and Bama.

Alright, been able to watch some film of Bala's group at liberty last season. Particularly the Arkansas game, they played an exceptional game against a big, physical Arkansas team. They matched Arkansas up front for majority of the game, played with physicality, good use of their hands when taking on contact, played downhill, and had a number of tackles for loss in the game. Something else that I liked was the way they played team defense, if the play side backer missed on the tackle, his backside help would come in, and clean up the play for him. Really the only glaring issue I saw out of that game was the use of their eyes, they got fooled a couple of times and played out of position.... Luckily it didn't result in a big play, but it's something that needs to be addressed, and it's an easily coachable thing to correct. I'm still uncertain about him, given he hasn't had a power 5 job(to my knowledge). But he could make the most of this opportunity he has, and make a name for himself with everything he'll be working with. He'll be working with two great defensive minds in Saban, and Steele. And possibly with Pruitt(God I hope so). A lot of coaches have taken the same, or at least similar type of career path as he is doing now and have been successful. Hope he's another one.

He's very underrated coach. Likely will be groomed for DC position. Little rough around edge but who isn't.
I wouldn't automatically assume that. If Saban is able to hire Pruitt this season as an analyst, then he'll be the DC in waiting. Now if he stays the entire time under Pruitt if it were to happen, then yes.... he'd be the top candidate. But Pruitt would likely be here for a while, so I don't think that would happen. Let's say Pruitt doesn't come, Steele retires, and we need a new DC. I don't see him getting the job, unless Saban just absolutely thinks he's the best possible candidate for the job. I think he'll be a good positions coach for us, but I don't see him being the DC anytime soon.

Let's say Pruitt doesn't come
Please.
Steele retires, and we need a new DC. I don't see him getting the job, unless Saban just absolutely thinks he's the best possible candidate for the job. I think he'll be a good positions coach for us, but I don't see him being the DC anytime soon.
Using history as our guide, are his qualifications that different than Golding's?

Q
Alright, been able to watch some film of Bala's group at liberty last season. Particularly the Arkansas game, they played an exceptional game against a big, physical Arkansas team. They matched Arkansas up front for majority of the game, played with physicality, good use of their hands when taking on contact, played downhill, and had a number of tackles for loss in the game. Something else that I liked was the way they played team defense, if the play side backer missed on the tackle, his backside help would come in, and clean up the play for him. Really the only glaring issue I saw out of that game was the use of their eyes, they got fooled a couple of times and played out of position.... Luckily it didn't result in a big play, but it's something that needs to be addressed, and it's an easily coachable thing to correct. I'm still uncertain about him, given he hasn't had a power 5 job(to my knowledge). But he could make the most of this opportunity he has, and make a name for himself with everything he'll be working with. He'll be working with two great defensive minds in Saban, and Steele. And possibly with Pruitt(God I hope so). A lot of coaches have taken the same, or at least similar type of career path as he is doing now and have been successful. Hope he's another one.
Quick thought: I don't think he was an LB coach last season. He was an analyst who was prompted to LB coach after one of liberty's coaches left this off-season.

Quick thought: I don't think he was an LB coach last season. He was an analyst who was prompted to LB coach after one of liberty's coaches left this off-season.
He was a DC at Southern Utah before moving to Liberty (hired to work with safeties in '22.) This season was going to be his first as Liberty's linebackers coach.

I wouldn't automatically assume that. If Saban is able to hire Pruitt this season as an analyst, then he'll be the DC in waiting. Now if he stays the entire time under Pruitt if it were to happen, then yes.... he'd be the top candidate. But Pruitt would likely be here for a while, so I don't think that would happen. Let's say Pruitt doesn't come, Steele retires, and we need a new DC. I don't see him getting the job, unless Saban just absolutely thinks he's the best possible candidate for the job. I think he'll be a good positions coach for us, but I don't see him being the DC anytime soon.
Scrape and Snake, Leave Pruitt out of equation. We don't have to keep bringing Pruitt into conversation at every chance. Ya'll keep beating the dead horse. Either Pruitt joins Bama as a staff or he doesn't.. but pointless to bring it up because he's not yet on staff.

He's underrated because there is something about him that could bring the best out of the players.

Check out the article: Nick Saban called Hugh Freeze before Alabama hired assistant; Freeze ‘jealous’ of hire

Bala joined Liberty from FCS’ Southern Utah, where he spent the 2020 and 2021 seasons as defensive coordinator.

“I typically don’t go outside of my tree too much but I had him highly recommend to me at Liberty,” Freeze said of hiring Bala in 2022. “He was at Southern Utah. He was wanting to break into the FBS level, and I interviewed him, and was absolutely blown away by his knowledge, his demeanor for teaching. He’s a rising star. The guy was incredibly valuable, a great evaluator and he’s a great human being. He and his wife are just super people.”

Saban is really emphazing on teaching the fundamentals more than calling the game. Reading up on Bala, He comes highly recommended and he's not an unknown... I can see him staying a while... and eventually become Steele's replacement if Pruitt doesn't' work out.

Scrape and Snake, Leave Pruitt out of equation. We don't have to keep bringing Pruitt into conversation at every chance. Ya'll keep beating the dead horse. Either Pruitt joins Bama as a staff or he doesn't.. but pointless to bring it up because he's not yet on staff.

He's underrated because there is something about him that could bring the best out of the players.

Check out the article: Nick Saban called Hugh Freeze before Alabama hired assistant; Freeze ‘jealous’ of hire

Saban is really emphazing on teaching the fundamentals more than calling the game. Reading up on Bala, He comes highly recommended and he's not an unknown... I can see him staying a while... and eventually become Steele's replacement if Pruitt doesn't' work out.
I'm going through all possibilities, that's all. And as long as we are going to have discussions about this, I'm going to bring him up.

Back
Top Bottom