| FTBL Alabama defense scheme predictable

But it appears that the defense is predictable or at the very least the offense has a pretty good idea what we are going to with certain formations. The film study should make every football minded Bama fan, ME FO SHOW, mad at what seemed like a lack of prep or at the very least no disguise on what we are trying to do defensively. If you are going to run cover two all day I am going to run cover two beaters all day. We cannot not sit in the same defense and be so arrogant as to think the other team doesn't see it, the other team can't scheme to compete against it, or we are so talented it will not matter. On to South Carolina!

You know we got outplayed. Defense didn't give 100 percent efforts on the field. Elephant is right. The SC is there. They're playing tentative right now because it's a new defense.
Well said... and I agree they are playing tentatively right now because it's a new defense. They are playing with hesitation while the other team plays full speed. There was a lack of gap discipline at the line and confusion in the defensive backfield. We lost something like 10-11 DBs from last year and we have a lot of youngsters playing. I don't think our guys are somehow smaller and weaker.

Well said... and I agree they are playing tentatively right now because it's a new defense. They are playing with hesitation while the other team plays full speed. There was a lack of gap discipline at the line and confusion in the defensive backfield. We lost something like 10-11 DBs from last year and we have a lot of youngsters playing. I don't think our guys are somehow smaller and weaker.
The defense can be predictable… but they can still tackle and bring a man down.. the could not tackle or force the man down without help… that is a strength issue… it’s happening more and more..open field stops aren’t happening as much… man to man getting beat..

After looking over film of the game I have some observations to share on what transpired.

1) Kane made the comment about not seeing any of these plays on previous film. This translates to: I didn't have a defensive plan for any of these plays, so I reverted to base defense until I could make adjustments. (This is really only possible when you're given extra time like Vandy was to prepare for the game). This also required Vandy to execute at a very high percentage and make incredible individual plays across the field so take Vandy or regress them back to their average on 3rd down and we see 2-3 less scores throughout the game. Vandy played above their heads and we made quite a few mistakes on the defensive side.

2) #20 Latham - Is a liability. Simply put, a majority of big plays were to his side or put him in a situation where he had to use his head. Almost none of the plays did he make the correct decision on. His angle of pursuit, losing the edge constantly, and not crashing downwards. Multiple plays where Vandy had big positive moves, came in his vicinity. He had a terrible game, IMO.

3) Refs - Vandy and Bama came in as one of the worst penalized teams in the league and Vandy left essentially unblemished in that category. I know the old beating a dead horse that the refs screwed us is lame but it's very much a thing with this game. The refereeing was sloppy to say the least. I noted over 6 obvious holds on Vanderbilt Lineman during the game that substantially assisted the play that were not called (When I say obvious I mean, directly in front of the play or adjacent to the QB). Many of these were to spring Pavia free on a roll out or to wall off a gap/stop a defender from blowing up a play but to have 0 of them called is incredible.

On the 3rd down play to put Vandy in position to go up 20 Pavia scrambled and tried to dive out of bounds. I'm pretty sure you're ruled out where you cross the out of bounds marker. From the camera angles you can clearly see he goes out around the 2 1/2 or 2 yard line on the play from the side angle and the pylon shot shows he might be closer to the 2. This was not reviewed at a critical moment of the game. The line to gain was the 1 yard line. He was clearly short by a yard which would've brought up 4th and 1 at minimum. This happened multiple times throughout the game, this being the more obvious example but a few times Vanderbilt would be given credit for out of bounds yardage where they'd be spotted 1-2 yards ahead of where they were pushed out of bounds...it was very weird to say the least. Bama benefitted from this one time as well.

The penalties for roughing the passer on Que was definitely a penalty, he should've gone into the waist and hit him hard instead. Kinda got caught between committing to the jump and sack and ended up high. The sack/fumble on Milroe was another prime example of roughing the passer that was not called, the defender clearly initates contact with his helmet to the helmet of Milroe and swipes at the ball at the same time...that's roughing the passed 10 out of 10 times in the NFL and most College games. Terrible whiff on the block by Pritchett there but either way, should've been called back.

4) Adjustments in 2nd Half - We adjusted perfectly to their triple option running and did a pretty good job of slowing them down during the reads/powers in the 2nd half but the throws killed us particularly the shovel passes inside. Penetration is important, the best thing to blow up shovel passes and the triple option offenses is to have penetration right in the middle. It makes them take wider angles and slows things down which allows safeties and defenders to get downhill faster.

5) Healthy amount of respect for Lea and Beck for their play calling. You can see almost every adjustment we make is immediately adjusted to with a run/pass call that beats it and they were perfect in guessing on what coverages/packages they would see.

That being said, one of the best ways to fuck with QBs and Coordinators that seem to have your number is to come out in your base package and then swap before the balls snapped or start disguising coverages and blitzes. Going 0 man would've been a better option on some of these 3rd down plays and forcing Pavia to make tough contested throws where our DBs are draped over them in coverage.

We still talking about Vandy? Time to talk about South Carolina or risk the same fate as last week. Of course this is just a message board so maybe it doesn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom