| FTBL A house divided: ESPN article on Bama/Barn family.

TerryP

Staff
MONTGOMERY: As Cole gets older and he approaches the decision of which team he'll support, do you feel the tension beginning to rise in your home?

LAURA: Without a doubt. I've always dreamed of going to games with my Auburn family. It is a fervent prayer of mine that Cole will go to Auburn.

RON: Wow. [Nervous laughter.] We'll go to Auburn games with Cole, honey. [She looks up with a surprised smile.] Alabama-Auburn games. [The smile disappears.]

MONTGOMERY: Cole might need someone objective to talk to soon, and I would love to offer my services. I went to Tennessee and have the cutest Vols jersey that I could share with him. Of course, had you chosen the only real school in the SEC in the beginning, you wouldn't be having problems.

RON: Well, now there's one thing Laura and I can agree on.

LAURA: Yes. You can leave now.

Here's the whole story

TerryP said:
MONTGOMERY: As Cole gets older and he approaches the decision of which team he'll support, do you feel the tension beginning to rise in your home?

LAURA: Without a doubt. I've always dreamed of going to games with my Auburn family. It is a fervent prayer of mine that Cole will go to Auburn.

RON: Wow. [Nervous laughter.] We'll go to Auburn games with Cole, honey. [She looks up with a surprised smile.] Alabama-Auburn games. [The smile disappears.]

MONTGOMERY: Cole might need someone objective to talk to soon, and I would love to offer my services. I went to Tennessee and have the cutest Vols jersey that I could share with him. Of course, had you chosen the only real school in the SEC in the beginning, you wouldn't be having problems.

Here's the whole story

I'm glad my wife to be doesn't have a team affiliation........................................yet :D

ghice said:
TerryP said:

Here's the whole story

I'm glad my wife to be doesn't have a team affiliation........................................yet :D

Back in the 90's, I dated a girl that was (emphasis on was) a UT fan. She was curious as to how I was getting so much Bama news when she didn't get anything here in S. Carolina. It took all of one football season for her outlook to change. I signed her up for one newsletter on UT that had a few comments a week and also signed her up for a listserve on Bama that was running at about 100 or more posts a day. To say the least, she was overwhelmed. The Arkansas game that year was enough to "turn the Tide." One step on campus, one game day experience, and it was all she talked about the entire year.

TerryP said:
ghice said:
TerryP said:

Here's the whole story

Back in the 90's, I dated a girl that was (emphasis on was) a UT fan. She was curious as to how I was getting so much Bama news when she didn't get anything here in S. Carolina. It took all of one football season for her outlook to change. I signed her up for one newsletter on UT that had a few comments a week and also signed her up for a listserve on Bama that was running at about 100 or more posts a day. To say the least, she was overwhelmed. The Arkansas game that year was enough to "turn the Tide." One step on campus, one game day experience, and it was all she talked about the entire year.

Oh, and get this. I dated a lady earlier this year that starting making jabs at me for pulling my laptop out early in the AM to check email, forums, etc. on Bama. Her little jabs were about the only thing worth watching was NFL and college just wasn't worth the time or effort.

Never went out with her again.

TerryP said:
ghice said:
TerryP said:

Here's the whole story

Mine likes to watch extremely close football games, and for some reason or not it still hasn't convinced her to be a Tide fan after this year :roll:

I think the Bama game she enjoyed the most was the LSU-Bama game where it was back and forth the entire game.

That and I think another MNC would swing her to a Bama fan in a hurry, and I keep buying her Bama apparel to wear, she'll have to wear it before long :lol:

I promise you one day that article and that ESPN special will be on me. :D I told Rece to be looking out for just an opportunity.

Ever notice how in these pieces the Auburn one is always the one spouting off? Always the one talking while the Alabama one is the nice one just kind of sitting back.

I'm telling you this whole "act like you've been there before" might have to change in my household. :wink:

BTW, my boys decided to pull for AU this year while their dad was at the game. My daughter (my sweet little Alabama fan) looked at me and knew this wouldn't work. I've never had to deal with this before, so she was interested to see how it would work.

I told them I love them and nothing would change that, but we were NOT going to watch this game together with them pulling for AU and us pulling for Alabama. I told them they could go to another TV or stay with us and pull for Alabama. They chose the latter, but at least there was more peace that way.

You just don't know the pain and embarassment of bringing more AU fans into this world. :cry: :wink:

My middle son is the one that I'm worried about. Right now I've got him saying Yeah Alabama, Roll Tide (he'll be 3 in March), BUT he always has to be the opposite of everyone else on EVERYTHING. I am especially afraid of the fact that his favorite color seems to be orange!!!! :shock: :oops:

c5vetman said:
My middle son is the one that I'm worried about. Right now I've got him saying Yeah Alabama, Roll Tide (he'll be 3 in March), BUT he always has to be the opposite of everyone else on EVERYTHING. I am especially afraid of the fact that his favorite color seems to be orange!!!! :shock: :oops:

You just described my brother(middle child syndrome I guess)

For year he claimed to be a UT fan, but never watches the games, he just liked the colors. Now he doesn't even watch football.

Believe it or not, I think that the Real Madrid--FC Barcelona rivalry in Spain's soccer league surpasses our local Tide--Tigers. Somehow the bitterness there is tied up in real-life horrors of their not-so-distant civil war in the late 1930's and subsequent bloody dictatorship of Francisco Franco that didn't end til his death in the late 1970's.

When you think the other side symbolizes the torturing and execution of your grandpa and dumping him in a mass grave with a thousand others, *that's* bitterness.

Yep, I live in a house divided, too, but with a Tiger of different stripes. In fact, I was so smitten I completely overlooked my wife's allegiance to LSU.

Of course, when we got married (20 years this July), The Tigers were about 40 years removed from their last NC and the Mike Archer's tenure was just beginning. Bout the only thing she ever bragged about was being at the '82 game when Stovall and the Tigers beat Bama in Coach Bryant's last season. My wife is not like your typical LSU corndog fan and actually is quite humble about her Tigers. Never once has she ever rubbed it in . . . but then again she knows better :wink:

. . . though you wouldn't know it from this email that I received yesterday from an old friend in Baton Rouge, who's a diehard LSU fan (Btw, "Rocki" is my wife's nickname; Sting & the Police have a lot to do with her not wanting to go by her real name):

I can't pull up whatever you are sending me, but if I would have to guess it would have to be how Ala. is doing in recruiting. I am glad you are still alive and haven't killed yourself yet. I know having to keep that LSU flag flying over your house and lord knows what else you have to put up with that Rocki has won from you these last 5 or so years must be getting to you. Sorry, you have to pull for your recruiting to get you through till another pipe dream all you bama fans will fantasize about. Be sure to tell your wife to take it easy on ya. Frank

Fortunately, our house is an even split and serves as a kind of "check and balance" sort of thing--my son and I being Bama fans while my wife having convinced our daughter she's a Tiger fan.

And my friend Frank is right; I am getting tired of that da** raggedy-a** LSU flag flying over the house. :evil:

I have a feeling that's all about to change, and the world will soon return to normalcy. :D

She's is obviously Delta's evil twin sister. :lol:

I'll be interested to see who Cole ends up picking when he gets older. Honestly it's going to depend on which friends he hangs out with too. Friends in his class growing up will be very influential.

I think ya go with who ever ya actually feel like pulling for. Not saying you should be swayed by who is winning now but in your heart when you watch the game.......you know who you really want to win.

My house is divided in a sense. My wife is a Sooner fan, but she has almost been Rolled, she watched several Bama games with me last year, she's never been to Bryant Denny and watched a Bama game with 94,000 of her closest friends. My 5 year daughter everynight after prayers wants to sing Yea Alabama and my son instead of saying goodnight he says Roll Tide!!

I got a buddy that's a big time Cow College fan and is always talking sh*t, but he knows in my house we don't mention Aubum. His girlfriend is a UT fan and has been her entire life (she was born and raised in TN and her parents both went to UT), so needless to say her and I don't hang out.

RTR,
Cory

Dang, got my magazine today and still ticked that it's not me and the other side in there. :wink:

And seriously what is up with the guy looking like he just lost his best friend while the wife is about to jump off the page with her whole #1 thing?! Ugh, aubies. :roll:

BamaDelta said:
Dang, got my magazine today and still ticked that it's not me and the other side in there. :wink:

And seriously what is up with the guy looking like he just lost his best friend while the wife is about to jump off the page with her whole #1 thing?! Ugh, aubies. :roll:

Aubies, can't live with them, certainly could live without them :D

Back
Top Bottom