| FTBL Possible NCAA rule changes on the horizon

Absolutely not. I wouldn't mind if it carried over into kickoffs as well. With how everyone is about protecting money in this litigious society, I could see NCAA doing away with kick-offs altogether. I know they have discussed it.

As far as the practice thing. I could see them mandating the inflatable thingy's for their helmets all the time. Stuff like that.

We secured a Natty on a Kickoff Return. Would have hated missing that.

As long as it's stopped there. No surprise I'm sure when you consider the source. The NT Times called the Ivy League's policy "The Future of Football" because they eliminated all tackling during the regular season. What bothered me about the move boiled down to the research leading to the decision: a comparison of concussions between pre-season and the regular season for NFL teams. N.F.L. Teams!

It's, figuratively, comparing collision forces between a Chevy Citation and a Chevy 3500.

I'm still hung up on the clock changes on first downs. It's going to effect the tempo which gives advantages to teams on both ends of the spectrum. Some teams are built to kill the clock: it's their MO.

Where I'm still getting hung up here is if this passes the tempo is directed by the officials. Teams are going to playing to their level of speed which will give us another inconsistency in officiating from week to week. Maybe that's better than "spot the ball and get the hell out of the way?"

I don't like the half time reduction. The band is an integral part of college football.

Juxtapose this:

We don't like having four hour games and we don't want plays taken away.

If you're going to make football fit into a designated window—3:30 until 6:30 or 12:00 until 3:00—you're going to end up cutting plays. It's inevitable.

I, unlike some, don't care to rush through life. I used to when I didn't know any better. Football games are supposed to be our down time, time to relax and enjoy. They want to cut down on that? As said, how about we cut the fat, the commercials? How about we quit running 8PM games on the East Coast, and late ass National Championship games taking everyone to midnight on a Monday? There are a lot of ways to cut time without rushing a game over. Viewership can increase with simple decisions. Altering the game still allows them to capture all that sponsor money funny enough.

As said, how about we cut the fat, the commercials?
I understand the feelings behind people wanting this although it's completely illogical.

Let's make the game where the guys who pay for the TV rights to show the games make less money.

"Think about the money the playoffs will generate!" Through commercials. Seriously. Those pushing for expanded playoffs also want to cut off the hand of what's feeding them.

I understand the feelings behind people wanting this although it's completely illogical.

Let's make the game where the guys who pay for the TV rights to show the games make less money.

"Think about the money the playoffs will generate!" Through commercials. Seriously. Those pushing for expanded playoffs also want to cut off the hand of what's feeding them.

In my eyes, that's on them for paying out HUGE sums of money for those TV rights. It's no different than buying a house or car you can't afford, but you do it because you want it or think it makes you look cool. Cutting the head off the snake? You're still paying your cable bill regardless, and they are still showing commercials whether it's during a game or show. Heck, you can almost fit another half game in if you cut the commercials down a little. What you're saying is give me a expensive lean cut of steak with the fat of a cheap piece of steak. All this is allowing is money to dictate a sport, that's not right.

Radio went the route of paid subscriptions for no commercials. We're already paying for TV, and it's only gone up.

I hated the 2006 season for that very reason. The rules changes were stupid. It didn't shorten the games as far as the amount of time that they were on TV. It really didn't benefit anybody

Out of curiosity, why do they want the game to conform to NFL standards? Those are in place for professional football players, the elite, not college kids still hitting their stride. Heck, some of these college kids only have one year of high school football under their belt, but were talented enough to be recruited. I just don't understand why you want to make them both alike when they are two completely different products. Go build a farm league like baseball for the one millionth time if you want that.

Well....
Dont believe Commercials, promos or pop ups are going away....rule thar out
Not even a consideration in reality

Shorten game....lol. So speeding game up with starting clock more quickly...
Who does that bother.......already getting 75-80+ plays per team....
The plays are the game..

Could shorten half time.....a lot of dead time since teams dont bring their band to games..... nfl is 12 minutes... cf is 20...or so...its just a few i know...
Can get to bathroom and back in 12 at BD

Start game on the hour instead of 5-10 minutes of pregame for announcers after hours of pregame already (. I think 12 noon games do start prettyquick)

The 3 minute 40 second commercials are really irritating....especially near back to back... but I really hate to see anything taken from game for the broadcast

And the radio broadcast....o gosh...every thing is brought to you by something...
They use to be a pleasure to listen to

Well....
Dont believe Commercials, promos or pop ups are going away....rule thar out
Not even a consideration in reality

Shorten game....lol. So speeding game up with starting clock more quickly...
Who does that bother.......already getting 75-80+ plays per team....
The plays are the game..

Could shorten half time.....a lot of dead time since teams dont bring their band to games..... nfl is 12 minutes... cf is 20...or so...its just a few i know...
Can get to bathroom and back in 12 at BD

Start game on the hour instead of 5-10 minutes of pregame for announcers after hours of pregame already (. I think 12 noon games do start prettyquick)

The 3 minute 40 second commercials are really irritating....especially near back to back... but I really hate to see anything taken from game for the broadcast

And the radio broadcast....o gosh...every thing is brought to you by something...

Get you one of these in cane form and you'll never have to leave your seat. See if Mrs. 50+ will toss it in the dish washer when you get home.

Leave the clock alone!! Like @TerryP said, some offenses are built to drain or kill the clock. If you touch halftime, only take 5 minutes away from it. Home team band perform pregame and opponent at halftime. As long as we have an hour’s worth of commercial breaks every game, length isn’t going to change. Split screens on PATs is fine with me. If they want to speed it up and do it for safety sake, do away with kickoffs. I wonder what percentage of all kickoffs last year ended up in a fair catch versus an actual return. If they want to make the game better, correct the “targeting rule”. Automatic ejection is a joke. Should be a Flagrant 1 or Flagrant 2 deviation. Ejecting a player for trying to go low, only to be met low by the offensive player should be a no call.

I hate so many commercials they run during a game. They play the games around the BS commercials. It is nothing but pure GREED by the networks and college football itself; revenue.

But I don't believe that is what the rules changes are about, fewer commercials or shortening the time it takes to play a game. They are searching for ways to keep the clock running, to run fewer plays, to make the game safer? Don't worry, it wont matter if it takes a shorter time to play 4 quarters to play a game, they will STILL find enough time to run all their commercials and take 4 hours to broadcast a game.
I will not mind running the clock during EP kicks and kickoffs, I have wondered why a player can get seriously injured, perhaps career ending while the clock is not running.

I love ALABAMA FOOTBALL and probably always will. But because of the pusification of the game by the rules comitties, I have lost most interest in the college game as well as the NFL. For me, it is just not the same game I grew up watching and grew to love.

Get you one of these in cane form and you'll never have to leave your seat. See if Mrs. 50+ will toss it in the dish washer when you get home.

That would be some kinda hit at the game!!!!!!!!!! Lol.
I have getting to BR and back down pat...

I hate so many commercials they run during a game. They play the games around the BS commercials. It is nothing but pure GREED by the networks and college football itself; revenue.

But I don't believe that is what the rules changes are about, fewer commercials or shortening the time it takes to play a game. They are searching for ways to keep the clock running, to run fewer plays, to make the game safer? Don't worry, it wont matter if it takes a shorter time to play 4 quarters to play a game, they will STILL find enough time to run all their commercials and take 4 hours to broadcast a game.
I will not mind running the clock during EP kicks and kickoffs, I have wondered why a player can get seriously injured, perhaps career ending while the clock is not running.

I love ALABAMA FOOTBALL and probably always will. But because of the pusification of the game by the rules comitties, I have lost most interest in the college game as well as the NFL. For me, it is just not the same game I grew up watching and grew to love.

It is sad...that to shorten viewing timeof a game....they want to shorten the event that we are tuned into watch....

Leave it all alone....Most games arent 4 hours anyway...
...if you dont have 330-4 hours...dvr it and zip through commercials...
( i didlast night on A$M vs bama bball game..watching with no commercials...was great...game was awful though)

Or dont watch....

I agree with last paragraph 90%.....
But
They arent gonna take my love for game away from me though...
Fight 'em to the end

Last edited:
Leave the clock alone!! Like @TerryP said, some offenses are built to drain or kill the clock. If you touch halftime, only take 5 minutes away from it. Home team band perform pregame and opponent at halftime. As long as we have an hour’s worth of commercial breaks every game, length isn’t going to change. Split screens on PATs is fine with me. If they want to speed it up and do it for safety sake, do away with kickoffs. I wonder what percentage of all kickoffs last year ended up in a fair catch versus an actual return. If they want to make the game better, correct the “targeting rule”. Automatic ejection is a joke. Should be a Flagrant 1 or Flagrant 2 deviation. Ejecting a player for trying to go low, only to be met low by the offensive player should be a no call.
I want to say it was last summer when I read the coordinator of officials for the Big 12 had said they wanted to get the games down to 3:15. I want to say the article was from 2017 and at that time they were averaging 3:24: They wanted 10 minutes. The SEC average isn't much longer: three, maybe four minutes as I recall.

The band suggestion is interesting. I wonder how many games the full band was able to travel/attend last season. I believe it will be a major point of contention if that's the area they change.

The kickoff discussion is one I'm still thinking about. When they put the rule in place in for the '18 season there was a big difference in the number of kick returns for touchdowns. It dropped almost in half. The following year '19 had fewer kick returns but was a record setting year for those being touchdowns. It's still a big part of the game considering was saw more in '19 than the six years previous.

Go ahead an prepare yourself for advertisement patches on uniforms, ads painted on the field, etc... The TV broadcasts already incorporate a ton of ads during gameplay that most of us hardly notice, but they'll change that too. It'll be more in your face very soon...

Back
Top Bottom