| FTBL 8 appearances in the Orange Bowl. RIP. Pics...

TerryP

Staff
I couldn't help but think of this quote when I saw some of these pictures.

"No one can help but be aware of the rich tradition that is associated with this team and this University. Tradition is a burden in many ways. To have a tradition like ours means that you can't lose your cool; to have tradition like ours means you always have to show class, even when you are not quite up to it; to have tradition like ours means that you have to do some things that you don't want to do and some you even think you can't do, simply because tradition demands it of you. On the other hand, tradition is that which allows us to prevail in ways that we could not otherwise."

-- Former Alabama President David Mathews

2106617519_c50663ec29.jpg

2256280655_c3d0a5235d.jpg

2569638587_331bb3a239.jpg

2484588365_7b9922afa8.jpg

2539706318_67ec19e3b7.jpg

800px-Orange_Bowl_20080503.jpg

Tider27 said:
First pics I've seen, nice quote there Terry...actually haven't heard that one.

I was in high school (Lanett) when David Matthews was President of the University. I remember seeing him in the Corolla when I went to the school library to "sutdy." :shock:

CrimsonPirate said:
Tider27 said:

I was in high school (Lanett) when David Matthews was President of the University. I remember seeing him in the Corolla when I went to the school library to "sutdy." :shock:

Yep, Matthews sure is old school and way before my time. :wink:

Bama had some great Orange Bowl moments. My favorite one was the 1965 team's, which went in a decided underdog to Nebraska. Stabler and company carved them up 39-28. Nebraska didn't know what hit them in the first half.

That hurts to see. There's a lot of history in that stadium.

My grandfather was born and raised in Miami. He used to jump the fence every Saturday to get into the game for free. He'd grab a tray of Cokes, sell for ten minutes or so, then set the tray down and watch the game. He was a 'Cane fan until he saw Alabama play for the first time against Boston College in the 1943 Orange Bowl. We won in a landslide and my family has been crimson through and through ever since.

I really hate that they're demolishing it. I don't know what they plan to put on the site, but I always hate to see old stadiums go down. It's as if they're tearing down a national monument.

Elephantitis said:
I really hate that they're demolishing it. I don't know what they plan to put on the site, but I always hate to see old stadiums go down. It's as if they're tearing down a national monument.
There was some talk about building a baseball-only park for the Marlins.

But, the site is in an area of Miami that would make Legion Field's site look safe and modern. The city hopes the new facility will help attendance at the Marlins' games and lead to a revitalization of the area.

I am not sure if this is still the plan or not.

CrimsonPirate said:
Tider27 said:

Tell ya what Cp you would be proud of Valley and he new stadium they have...Lanett on the other hand.....so much could change if it wasn't for greed and ego's. Lanett+Valley would = a powerful sports program.

sorry for the hijack.

psychojoe said:
Bama had some great Orange Bowl moments. My favorite one was the 1965 team's, which went in a decided underdog to Nebraska. Stabler and company carved them up 39-28. Nebraska didn't know what hit them in the first half.

And two of those "moments" had a great impact on my life. The first of which was 01/01/1953 which is why I am a Bama fan. All you read or heard the entire month of December 1952 was how the "Big, Bad, Beast of the East" was going to show those little boys from Alabama how to play football. The second occured one hour before the start of the game you refer to. And that was the birth of my Daughter on 01/01/1966. What, you ask, did that have to do with the Orange Bowl game that night? Well, for one thing, when it came time for her to go to college, she didn't know there were any other schools by virtue of being born on the night the 1965 team won the NC. So that meant a ton of my money went to Tuscaloosa for what seemed like forever and I was more than happy to visit it and her very often.

252BAMA said:
psychojoe said:

And two of those "moments" had a great impact on my life. The first of which was 01/01/1953 which is why I am a Bama fan. All you read or heard the entire month of December 1952 was how the "Big, Bad, Beast of the East" was going to show those little boys from Alabama how to play football.
The second occured one hour before the start of the game you refer to. And that was the birth of my Daughter on 01/01/1966. What, you ask, did that have to do with the Orange Bowl game that night? Well, for one thing, when it came time for her to go to college, she didn't know there were any other schools by virtue of being born on the night the 1965 team won the NC. So that meant a ton of my money went to Tuscaloosa for what seemed like forever and I was more than happy to visit it and her very often.

I wasn't alive then, but I do know about that game. So, for all you guys in the younger crowd...

I've read about this game and have it on VHS because it marked one of the first, if not the first, times fans could watch a lot of the bigger bowls on TV.

The team he's talking about is Syracuse. Highly favored in the ball game. After the first quarter it was 7-6 BAMA. Bama rolled from the 2nd quarter on shutting out Syracuse for the last 3 quarters. Final score was 61-6 BAMA. There were something like 15 records set that day be the Bama team.

TerryP said:
252BAMA said:
psychojoe said:

And two of those "moments" had a great impact on my life. The first of which was 01/01/1953 which is why I am a Bama fan. All you read or heard the entire month of December 1952 was how the "Big, Bad, Beast of the East" was going to show those little boys from Alabama how to play football.
The second occured one hour before the start of the game you refer to. And that was the birth of my Daughter on 01/01/1966. What, you ask, did that have to do with the Orange Bowl game that night? Well, for one thing, when it came time for her to go to college, she didn't know there were any other schools by virtue of being born on the night the 1965 team won the NC. So that meant a ton of my money went to Tuscaloosa for what seemed like forever and I was more than happy to visit it and her very often.

I wasn't alive then, but I do know about that game. So, for all you guys in the younger crowd...

I've read about this game and have it on VHS because it marked one of the first, if not the first, times fans could watch a lot of the bigger bowls on TV.

The team he's talking about is Syracuse. Highly favored in the ball game. After the first quarter it was 7-6 BAMA. Bama rolled from the 2nd quarter on shutting out Syracuse for the last 3 quarters. Final score was 61-6 BAMA. There were something like 15 records set that day be the Bama team.

One being the three interceptions a friend of my family recorded.

Hootie Ingram, a former Bama AD, was actually inducted into the Orange Bowl HOF for his performance against the Orangemen.

Back
Top Bottom