| FTBL 50 Best Defenses In College Football History

Article from ESPN about the 50 all time great defenses. I agree for the most part but I think there are some great Bama defenses from the 60s that should have made this list. Especially the 61 defense. What do you think?

50 Best Defenses In College Football
Couldnt read article....
But Yeah. Some people believe the world started when theywere born...and some have their political feelings mixed in...
Saying so....And
Hard to compare eras....but....Bama 1961 gave up very few points...30-40 for season......but that was 60s football

Couldnt read article....
But Yeah. Some people believe the world started when theywere born...and some have their political feelings mixed in...
Saying so....And
Hard to compare eras....but....Bama 1961 gave up very few points...30-40 for season......but that was 60s football
Sorry. Forgot that was a pay article. Basically he had the 16 and 17 Bama Ds at 1 and 2. 2011 Bama D at # 7. 92 D at # 15. 2015 D at # 30. And 79 D at # 32. But the 61 D had 6 shutouts and allowed one TD all year. Even for 1961 that's impressive.

Well...to me....
2011 was best i had seen....that lsu lost was ridiculous....shut lsu out in NC game

2016....that D was awesome...all they had left to do was stop Watson...make one play on final drive...one stinking play...on final drive...just make one play....ooops

Well...to me....
2011 was best i had seen....that lsu lost was ridiculous....shut lsu out in NC game

2016....that D was awesome...all they had left to do was stop Watson...make one play on final drive...one stinking play...on final drive...just make one play....ooops
I absolutely agree … the 2011 defense was by far the best I’ve seen in this era. I mean they gave up a total of184 yards per game … per game! That was a Bryant type defense but in the offensive football era. I seriously doubt I’ll live long enough to see such a smothering defense again … and most likely my children won’t either!

I still have a hard time thinking about the 2016 season so I’ll leave it where you did!

Well...to me....

2016 will never get its rightful recognition because of that game but I think they are certianly in the top 2-3. 2011, 1992. 2016 and 1979 are the ones I remember the most. Was only 2 for the 1966 team so really only recall the 70's and beyond. The 1961's numbers are insane in any era...

Just as a side note:

I don't know how much you guys will recall how the '21 Georgia defense was panned. Older now and memory fades; ya know? 🙃

Connelly has the '21 UGA defense at #17.

And people wonder why CFB fans tire of hyperbole.
Yeah I think the SEC Champiohship game exposed them as good but not great... I think the NC game would have been the same were not for the injuries at the WR position. Oh well it happened time for a new year!!!!

Yeah I think the SEC Champiohship game exposed them as good but not great... I think the NC game would have been the same were not for the injuries at the WR position. Oh well it happened time for a new year!!!!

Georgia's linebackers were what made them good. Their line was decent and secondary was poor, but their backers were amazing.

Lists like this are always frontloaded with the recent experiences of the writer. Those 60's defenses were special.
Can go back and watch 60 s games....and see how so much different CF was ....
So much of sweeps...off tackle....power football....

Wasnt it Bear who said something like....after his QB in practice hurt his scholder ....."no big deal...we aint gonna throw the ball more than 3-4 times a game"

Connelly's rankings are based on his SP+ formula: purely statistical driven rankings. IE: SP+ ranks the '91 Washington squad over the '91, national title winning Miami team.
Excellent point, Terry. That would have been a great statistic to use in addition to OTHERS!

You really have to dig deep past the statistics after that to get the true meaning of how great some of these defenses were. Who they played. What their impact was for the team. And for the season.

Yeah it was a different era of football but 61 and 66 defenses were pretty special. Both went undefeated but 61 won the Natty and 66 got ripped off. But whenever I hear talk of great defenses I can’t help but think about those two teams. A shutout was still hard to do and both those teams had a lot of them.

Back
Top Bottom