| BSB/SB šŸ„Ž#22 Alabama @ auburn [auburn takes series with 3-0 Saturday win]

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
This is the final regular season series for the Tide, and it's a huge one in terms of Bama's chances to host a regional... The Tide is currently sitting at #14 in the RPI, auburn a respectable 22. Just from a 40,000 foot view of it, a series win paired with a non-embarrassing SECT showing would give Bama a decent chance at hosting a regional... but a series loss (especially a sweep), almost certainly sends them on the road. In all honestly though, while I think a path back to OKC this season is unlikely, Bama would probably have a better chance if they were not the #15 or #16 seed, where they'd end up playing in Norman or Austin the 2nd weekend.. which means falling to the 2 line, but staying high enough for them to get a relatively more favorable matchup, even though they'd be away from home.

Anyway, as for the series that starts tonight... this is a very winnable series for UA, but they can't go in there and play their C game. I'd imagine auburn's star pitcher, Penta, will give them fits. But, she's been gettable this season... she's is 4-7 in SEC play this year, and giving up 3 runs a game... still, Bama is going to have to show something they've rarely shown this year at the plate if they want to solve her. One note to keep in mind... Penta has given up her share of HR's this year (19 of them to be exact)... so maybe, Bama can connect on a few this weekend, when runs will likely be at a premium. On the flip side, auburn's offense is actually a tick below Bama's... so both are in the anemic department. On paper, these look like low scoring, 2-0, 3-1 type games. In the end, I don't really care how it gets done at this point, but I would like to see Bama win their 2nd SEC series of the year and send Mickey Dean into the sunset with a final home series loss.

As of 4/30 D1 Softball has Bama as a 15 seed hosting Clemson, Michigan, and USC Upstate. Winner of that regional would get the pleasure of playing the winner of the Norman, OK regional.

Best chance to make OKC would be to climb to the 13 seed and then play the winner of the Stanford regional. Stanford can't hit either so scoring 1 or 2 against Canady might be enough to make it back. As of now the 13 seed is projected to be Florida playing a very weak regional compared to others with Villianova, UCF, and FAU.

As of 4/30 D1 Softball has Bama as a 15 seed hosting Clemson, Michigan, and USC Upstate. Winner of that regional would get the pleasure of playing the winner of the Norman, OK regional.

Best chance to make OKC would be to climb to the 13 seed and then play the winner of the Stanford regional. Stanford can't hit either so scoring 1 or 2 against Canady might be enough to make it back. As of now the 13 seed is projected to be Florida playing a very weak regional compared to others with Villianova, UCF, and FAU.

Hadn't seen that projection, but I just went and found it. Based on their projections, sliding up to 13th seems well within reach if Bama closes this out with some wins.

Bama is now sitting at #15 in RPI after last night's loss. Oddly enough Louisiana is now at #14 despite losing to Troy last night. We really need to win both of these games against Auburn to host a regional.

Back
Top Bottom