| RECRUIT šŸˆ 2024 Transfer Portal Thread - April 16th thru April 30th

Probably what @TerryP mentioned above earlier. Likely that Parker would be back and that he would still have to compete for the job. James may have assumed that the job was his since he held for the majority of Spring when Parker stepped away.
Yesterday I thought this was a bit of a surprise. Today I'm thinking I should have seen this coming in week two of camp.

Do you remember when DeBoer made the comment about Parker's situation? He's fine, he'll be back, etc.? To steal from Bill Engvall, "Here's your sign!"

I foolishly, casually, assumed Parker was sliding into the #2 role and he was good with that. What the hell was I thinking? IF he was told that in spring camp he'd be gone! He's not going to sit and watch James play when he was starting last season looking at a title. A guy of his caliber would start immediately in a lot of places; and get paid well.

SO...where would that leave Brockermeyer? Let's say he starts. Do they slide Parker to guard to keep him starting? Okay, let's assume they do that. What do they do with Booker?

I'll argue the two strongest positions on the line are the two guards. So, in order to 'placate' either of the two centers they disrupt the guards?

Yeah, I know. 20/20 hindsight. But, I'm still sort of kicking myself in the ass for not thinking it through three weeks ago.

Yesterday I thought this was a bit of a surprise. Today I'm thinking I should have seen this coming in week two of camp.

Do you remember when DeBoer made the comment about Parker's situation? He's fine, he'll be back, etc.? To steal from Bill Engvall, "Here's your sign!"

I foolishly, casually, assumed Parker was sliding into the #2 role and he was good with that. What the hell was I thinking? IF he was told that in spring camp he'd be gone! He's not going to sit and watch James play when he was starting last season looking at a title. A guy of his caliber would start immediately in a lot of places; and get paid well.

SO...where would that leave Brockermeyer? Let's say he starts. Do they slide Parker to guard to keep him starting? Okay, let's assume they do that. What do they do with Booker?

I'll argue the two strongest positions on the line are the two guards. So, in order to 'placate' either of the two centers they disrupt the guards?

Yeah, I know. 20/20 hindsight. But, I'm still sort of kicking myself in the ass for not thinking it through three weeks ago.

And .... somewhat anyway.....
Still all of fall camp and injuries....and game bangs and bruises....
Who has more contact ...head on head...than olineman...really..

I cant see coaches...telling someone....someone who has played on oline all year....with 1s....they dont have a job a with 1s... because even if they dont....#2s are important as hell......
And to work hard for so many years....to get there....

Strange

Did we ever figure out what happened with Brailsford? We all assumed it was a bad attitude towards not being given the starting spot. Was it more personal or still an attitude adjustment that was needed?

Who assumed that? This is the first time I've seen anyone mention attitude.

We, the board, had spoken on here why he was not at practice and some speculation was he was upset for not just being given the first team reps over Brockermeyer. Although I thought it was odd he transferred and I never heard of him dressing for a practice. Did he in fact practice at all for Alabama yet?

We, the board, had spoken on here why he was not at practice and some speculation was he was upset for not just being given the first team reps over Brockermeyer. Although I thought it was odd he transferred and I never heard of him dressing for a practice. Did he in fact practice at all for Alabama yet?
He did practice with the team before stepping away. it was personal matter.. not related to the team.

I'm not saying this is the case.

This smells like compliance; a 'red tape' issue.
Saw this hinted last night! A class or credits issue.
Like you said earlier, do you move Booker or Roberts to slide Brailsford into a starting role and keep Brockermeyer at center? HELL NAW!!!
@BamaFan334 I recall a few people asking on here if it might be ā€œhe was upset that he wasnā€™t given the starting roleā€ . I didnā€™t think too much of it because it didnā€™t really seem likely. Personally, I thought it might have been a family issue that may have had him stepping away, like a sick parent or grandparent.
I take it that DeBoer and the OL coach met with JB and put it out there straight and to the point. JB didnā€™t like what he heard, so he jumped.

I don't understand this move at all. VERY VERY little chance, almost impossible he unseats Beck unless Beck gets injured. they paid him a lot of money to come back. Even if you wanted to play the "get developed" card, where is the history where he gets developed in Athens over a lot of other places?
If he did get hurt them, he might as well transfer! Just look at the last two QB that got hurtled never make it back.

Alabama offered him in the previous portal when he went in after his coach left for Bama.

Pretty sure he holds that offer still, and he'll be one of our big pick-ups to shore up a defense that needs a little more experience.

If you don't know, this is his 2nd time in the portal. He went in and then withdrew his name after he was wanting to follow Kane Wommack to Bama. Then the coaches, staff, and friends talked him into staying. Now it seems Bama has decided to call on him again and I don't think they can keep him there this time. NIL And possibility of finding himself playing on Sunday's is probably a big reason he's jumping to Bama.

Alabama offered him in the previous portal when he went in after his coach left for Bama.
A bit of a strange story. Off the top of my head ...

When his name first popped up I remember he was projected to be the back-up MIKE at USA. The the projected starter for this year started last year and was one of the guys that followed Wommack to USA from IU.

I mentioned there are a few guys still considering entering the portal. I can see the possibility he would be brought in as a back-up to Lawson and Campbell. (Jefferson, as a senior, is sitting behind a sophomore on the depth chart.)

A bit of a strange story. Off the top of my head ...

When his name first popped up I remember he was projected to be the back-up MIKE at USA. The the projected starter for this year started last year and was one of the guys that followed Wommack to USA from IU.

I mentioned there are a few guys still considering entering the portal. I can see the possibility he would be brought in as a back-up to Lawson and Campbell. (Jefferson, as a senior, is sitting behind a sophomore on the depth chart.)
Pretty sure he started last year, but maybe an injury derailed something?

With 56 tackles in one bowl game? You sure you got the same person here?
56, for the season. I think Miller had 68 or 69. They were neck and neck for total tackles on the season.

If you look up the USA 2023 depth chart you'll see Miller listed as the starting MIKE on every one (at least every one I've seen.) As mentioned earlier, Wommack brought him in to the program as his starting MIKE: same role he had at IU when Wommack was there.

Both Miller and Jacobs saw a lot of playing time (evidenced by games played and the number of tackles.) The starting role went to seniority and experience (with Miller.) GP reflects Miller's DNP in the bowl vs EMU. (Yeah, I decided to look it up. :devilish: )

Screenshot 2024-04-27 2.29.09 AM.png

Back
Top Bottom