| FTBL 2024 Heisman odds released today (via FanDuel)

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
Hope those putting money on McCarthy this week get their money returned when he announces he's going pro... LOL

GDBsT44W4AAqgKv

My brother and I were talking at church Wednesday night, the 2 teams that lost in the final 4 will be SEC schools next year. The 2 winners? 2024 B1G teams. A shift occurring?

IMO, it more a lighting in a bottle type scenario, but it was also about time for the SEC to falter... With teams like Oregon, UW, and USC being added though, the BIG will get a bump overall in quality that will show up going forward... and the path to the title is going to be more difficult for everyone starting next season with the additional game(s)... just more pitfalls. But, even this season... Bama had their chances and I felt had the win all but secured until two 4th quarter blunders (fumble and penalty). Had Bama won, they'd be favored over UW (not that it would mean much, just saying). For that matter, UGA would be favored over both teams too. Bottom line, IMO, Big Ten is now bolstered, but SEC is still king overall in terms of athletes, coaching, etc.

IMO, it more a lighting in a bottle type scenario, but it was also about time for the SEC to falter... With teams like Oregon, UW, and USC being added though, the BIG will get a bump overall in quality that will show up going forward... and the path to the title is going to be more difficult for everyone starting next season with the additional game(s)... just more pitfalls. But, even this season... Bama had their chances and I felt had the win all but secured until two 4th quarter blunders (fumble and penalty). Had Bama won, they'd be favored over UW (not that it would mean much, just saying). For that matter, UGA would be favored over both teams too. Bottom line, IMO, Big Ten is now bolstered, but SEC is still king overall in terms of athletes, coaching, etc.

I'm wondering if a new coaching and game strategy is necessary for the deeper conferences and 12-Team Playoff? You're no longer needing to go undefeated. You have to manage two more games. What does that look like? Obviously you play every game to win and with these schedules you gotta bring it each week, but curious if anything changes, because that heightened intensity isn't stable for anyone for that long.

I agree with you. They were 1 score away in both games last year from having a B1G national championship game. And this year it’s happening, at least with teams that will be in that conf going forward.

I will add, Michigan was not slower as a team than us Monday night. Their DB’s were all over our WRs, their LB’s were fast, the big guys could run. I didn’t see a difference like we sometimes do in speed. But could have just been me.

I agree with you. They were 1 score away in both games last year from having a B1G national championship game. And this year it’s happening, at least with teams that will be in that conf going forward.

I will add, Michigan was not slower as a team than us Monday night. Their DB’s were all over our WRs, their LB’s were fast, the big guys could run. I didn’t see a difference like we sometimes do in speed. But could have just been me.

You were there, so a better seat than me, but I don't think the challenge to locking down our receivers is in the first two seconds of the play, it's when you're defending for four or five and that wasn't happening due to pressure. I'm also not sure if speed was more of the culprit with the front seven as it were the numbers and just brute power. They outmanned us and overpowered us from what I saw. We started rolling once they didn't blitz and outman us on the front and we started moving the ball. I do feel they were stronger than we were.

I agree that it didn't show up well, and the gap overall was smaller than I anticipated. Didn't help that UA had guys like Lawson running around on 1 leg... made him look like he was wearing cinder block shoes. I thought going in, on offense, UA would really attack the perimeter and get guys in space and away from their deep, athletic DL. That didn't happen much at all, which is where I think the speed could have been a big advantage for UA. And I'm still bumfuzzled about the lack of touches for Law... really thought he was going to be used as a big weapon in the regard as well. But credit still goes to UM... I knew they'd be tough, physical, and not bashful about playing Bama. Harbaugh has finally gotten all that into their DNA. If they can maintain that after he (likely) bolts to the NFL, then I think they have a good chance of maintaining their position within the Big Ten, which currently resides above Ohio State.

Back
Top Bottom