| FTBL 2023~ Gonna be a different bama team altogether

Weaker is a subjective term if you're going to use it. Unless you've got something that can be pointed to objectively and define as weak.

'07, '10, '16, '21
Of course it's subjective. We all sharing opinions here.

Off the top of my head, it seems like there's always been back ups we can't wait to see as starters. But I just haven't heard much about our back ups this season. Maybe I've been out of the information loop, but it just seems that the chatter about back ups is much quieter these days. Besides, Oatis and Turner, who would you say are difference makers returning from this year's roster?

Milroe has a big arm and can chuck it, the issue is his accuracy isn't even on the level of hurts. I don't see much of a path for him to take the reins next year, he may even transfer out after spring ball unless they can convince him to play slot or something. I expect Simpson to be the one who takes the reins going into next years season. May not be the one who starts all year, they are high on some of the freshman QBs coming in.

Besides, Oatis and Turner, who would you say are difference makers returning from this year's roster?
Of the seven mentioned earlier, five fit that bill.

Latham, McLaughlin, and Booker from the offensive line.
Oatis, Burroughs, Smith, Latham, and Eboigbe (hopefully) along the defensive line.
Braswell and Turner to name two in the linebacking corps. Other, like Blackshire, will be overlooked due to this years injuries.
McKinstry, Moore, Arnold, possibly Ricks as well for the defensive backfield.
Burnip on special teams...

What's that, 18?

Let's see here. 🤔

The things I agree with ...

And I really don't agree with it being that different of a team.

IE: For the four receivers we're looking at Burton, Brooks, Prentice, and Benson. One unknown with Benson but he is a JUCO AA..

As another: For the three running backs we'll see we're looking at McClellan, Williams, and Miller. I don't know how soon we'd see Young or Haynes—they aren't early enrollees.

I don't see a lot of difference, and that's just two groups.
I don't see a need to address "weakest returning," unless you can find it in the two groups mentioned.
Ok.......
Skilled positions gone......QB.....RB......nfl types gone.. #2 good at RB...others with potential...but tough to replace those 2
Receiver..Holden..jojo....eeee not that hard to replace...and some back....but no body has stood out anyway..
TE...Latu..was excellent...
OL...wasnt that good and lost some backups amd a starter....

So on offensive...can say...lots of undiscovered potential...but lots of starters and key backups...gone

On D...losing WA...branch...Battle...to to...dale ( i think)...others to go finishing...or transferring.... but core of starts gone

PK...Reichert. Big lost...

Thats a lot of lost...lot of potential back...but....

Besides, Oatis and Turner, who would you say are difference makers returning from this year's roster?
McKinstry coming back is pretty big. Not only because this will be his third year as a starting CB, but he was one of the best punt returners in the country last year.

RB is loaded led by McClellan. As good as Gibbs was, McClellan deserved more touches and a better scheme from his OC. With BOB (hopefully) gone after the NFL season concludes, Alabama really needs to go back to being able to be more physical and then reintroducing how to utilize RBs in space.

Brooks, Bond, and Prentice have all shown to be really good skill players. Bond and Prentice seem to be guys that can get YAC and are dangerous in space. Burton needs to be more consistent, but he did finish the season well.

There's plenty of talent on defense. But that side of the ball will only go as far as its coordinator. I don't believe Alabama will ever be elite under Golding. So until he's gone, I won't make any predictions. But there is plenty of talent returning for Alabama to be elite again. It just comes down to coaching.

McKinstry coming back is pretty big. Not only because this will be his third year as a starting CB, but he was one of the best punt returners in the country last year.

RB is loaded led by McClellan. As good as Gibbs was, McClellan deserved more touches and a better scheme from his OC. With BOB (hopefully) gone after the NFL season concludes, Alabama really needs to go back to being able to be more physical and then reintroducing how to utilize RBs in space.

Brooks, Bond, and Prentice have all shown to be really good skill players. Bond and Prentice seem to be guys that can get YAC and are dangerous in space. Burton needs to be more consistent, but he did finish the season well.

There's plenty of talent on defense. But that side of the ball will only go as far as its coordinator. I don't believe Alabama will ever be elite under Golding. So until he's gone, I won't make any predictions. But there is plenty of talent returning for Alabama to be elite again. It just comes down to coaching.

I understand what @50+yeartidefan is saying. We aren't bringing back a super star at any position really. Where we've had the Julio's, Ingram's, Richardson's, McCarron's, Cooper's, Ha Ha's, Mosely's, Ragland's, Ridley's, Henry's, Allen's, Harris/Leatherwood/Smith's, Surtan's, Anderson's, and Young's, we simply will not have that next year under Saban. No one is saying we have zero talent. I think his comments were taken way out of context.

To your point, correct, we have to find our identity next year, and on offense that will sit with a new offensive coordinator and who ends up being our starting quarterback. McClellan is a great back to start with. Bringing in two stud Freshmen backs will help with depth as we allow McClellan to handle most carries. May look into bringing Henderson back to tailback and building a little more seasoned depth with a guy that has a year in the program now.

Receiver, still a lot of work to do. The future looks bright, yes, but we also thought that this year. Bond, Law, and Prentice (talk about a law firm name) have got to show they can produce for a full season, and hopefully with more looks and playing time they can build consistency. Brooks back is big. One can only hope Burton continues to buy into the program and step up and learn to be more mature. Would be nice to have Latu back. Some folks don't like him, but I have personally see him grow leaps and bounds from a defensive end they recruited in. He'd be an asset for a new quarterback.

Offensive line seems to be filling in some starters and I think without many big names we have enough talent to be under the radar good.

Defensively there are a lot of questions if you ask me. Defensive line do we have anyone that can put their hands in the dirt and create a wall like Oatis did for us? At linebacker can we get a little more out of Turner and Braswell? Can Keely come in like Turner did and turn some heads? We know Lawson is going to be an upgrade in the middle. He reminds me of Reuben Foster with how fast and physical he is. He doesn't guess, he reacts. Throw in Blackshire and I think you got two studs holding down the middle. Secondary, unsure of what will happen here, especially if Ricks goes Pro. Arnold needs to move to Safety and roam the secondary. He will be lights out in my eyes (think Battle last year). Moore takes over for Branch and I think with a little more aggression he will be able to make that a positive spot for us. Probably needs to add a little weight so he can help come down in the box as well as help in the flats with bigger backs and tight ends.

I think we have some great recruits coming in that can add some depth as well as find some playing time, but once again, we have no real superstars like in years past, and I think that's what 50+ was intending to mean.

I understand what @50+yeartidefan is saying. We aren't bringing back a super star at any position really. Where we've had the Julio's, Ingram's, Richardson's, McCarron's, Cooper's, Ha Ha's, Mosely's, Ragland's, Ridley's, Henry's, Allen's, Harris/Leatherwood/Smith's, Surtan's, Anderson's, and Young's, we simply will not have that next year under Saban. No one is saying we have zero talent. I think his comments were taken way out of context.

To your point, correct, we have to find our identity next year, and on offense that will sit with a new offensive coordinator and who ends up being our starting quarterback. McClellan is a great back to start with. Bringing in two stud Freshmen backs will help with depth as we allow McClellan to handle most carries. May look into bringing Henderson back to tailback and building a little more seasoned depth with a guy that has a year in the program now.

Receiver, still a lot of work to do. The future looks bright, yes, but we also thought that this year. Bond, Law, and Prentice (talk about a law firm name) have got to show they can produce for a full season, and hopefully with more looks and playing time they can build consistency. Brooks back is big. One can only hope Burton continues to buy into the program and step up and learn to be more mature. Would be nice to have Latu back. Some folks don't like him, but I have personally see him grow leaps and bounds from a defensive end they recruited in. He'd be an asset for a new quarterback.

Offensive line seems to be filling in some starters and I think without many big names we have enough talent to be under the radar good.

Defensively there are a lot of questions if you ask me. Defensive line do we have anyone that can put their hands in the dirt and create a wall like Oatis did for us? At linebacker can we get a little more out of Turner and Braswell? Can Keely come in like Turner did and turn some heads? We know Lawson is going to be an upgrade in the middle. He reminds me of Reuben Foster with how fast and physical he is. He doesn't guess, he reacts. Throw in Blackshire and I think you got two studs holding down the middle. Secondary, unsure of what will happen here, especially if Ricks goes Pro. Arnold needs to move to Safety and roam the secondary. He will be lights out in my eyes (think Battle last year). Moore takes over for Branch and I think with a little more aggression he will be able to make that a positive spot for us. Probably needs to add a little weight so he can help come down in the box as well as help in the flats with bigger backs and tight ends.

I think we have some great recruits coming in that can add some depth as well as find some playing time, but once again, we have no real superstars like in years past, and I think that's what 50+ was intending to mean.
Exactly....but potential is only that...
And the holes are hugh...with a tough schedule...

Someone told me the other day that 2023 would be "the year". I don't see it. If 2022 wasn't it, then I don't see how 2023 will be with so many question marks at key positions. To say it would take some massive overachieving would be a BIG understatement

Someone told me the other day that 2023 would be "the year". I don't see it. If 2022 wasn't it, then I don't see how 2023 will be with so many question marks at key positions. To say it would take some massive overachieving would be a BIG understatement

It all starts with the defense. The offense has carried the defense recently, and now it's time for the defense to work with the offense. With our schedule and breaking in a new full time quarterback, we're going to need a stingy defense to allow the offense to hit its stride.

It's 2008 again except we don't have John Parker.

We should be ok with our OLB crew. Hopefully the ILB crew can be more physical on stopping the run than this past crew. Time and time again the runners carried our guys past the 1st down maker. Trying to cover receivers will continue to be a struggle and that is for every team in todays passing game. JMO but I was never high on 2 or 9 at safety but I may really be wrong on that crew. DB's may be a wash.

Both Ten Bears and I agree that the interior DL for Bama (not a bad group) was the primary reason we just couldn't get off the field on 3rd down against those teams that were somebody. Do we have anybody that can whip the guy blocking him and make the play without a blitz that weakens you elsewhere? You can't expect the DC to outsmart the other teams play after play and game after game. OSU drug Will's bunch all over the field last Saturday. Pete isn't Bill Oliver I know but the Jimmy and Joe's have to get better.

JMO if K-State was in the West then 8-4 is about where they would be and if the East then they would be the 3rd best team in that side.

Let's see how Nick views his staff in these next 2-4 weeks.

Oatis, Burroughs, Smith, Latham, and Eboigbe (hopefully) along the defensive line.
Braswell and Turner to name two in the linebacking corps. Other, like Blackshire, will be overlooked due to this years injuries.

What's that, 18?
I really hope Eboigbe can make it back. All that dude does is make plays

2023~ Gonna be a different bama team altogether​

Well, yes... it is every year.

We always have exiting talent and up and coming talent that is yet to be seen. I'm not all that sure what the point is with the thread.

We still have very talented players on the team with experience and many talented players that will get their first chance to shine. I haven't seen Saban and staff slacking at recruiting in the last few years.

2023 will be a different team as was 2022 and 2021 and 2020... It will have it's own issues and it's own leadership moment it's own disappointments and it's own surprises. Isn't that what makes College Football so great ?

I sure hope so. But something tells me that they are with Saban until he retires
Why? Do you think he is oblivious to the drop off in total execution?

His two chief lieutenants are somewhat decent strategists, but the worst sin they have committed is the lack to inspire confidence and discipline within their respective units. As much as I loved our win against the Barn in 2021, that Bama team had no business getting their ass handed to them like they did 90% of the game; especially against a 6-5 Auburn team.

Alabama had the same lethargic energy at many points in this season. That comes down to coaching.

What's that, 18?
I haven't seen enough of most of these players to be as optimistic. I remember the days when true freshmen would enter the game and just wow us. I have seen less and less of that ever since the ridiculous '17 class. Please offer me comfort if I'm missing some players. 🙏

Noticeably absent from your list are any offensive skill players. I don't disagree either. In today's era, that scares me about next season.

Back
Top Bottom