| BSB/SB 2023 College Baseball Tournament Selection Show: Alabama selected as the 16 seed; hosting the Tuscaloosa Regional

TerryP

Staff
At this point I've not been able to find out when, or where, they are going to announce which schools will be hosting regionals. If you see something, say something. 🙃

Otherwise, starting tomorrow ...
  • Selection show: Noon ET on Monday, May 29, on ESPN2
  • Regionals: Friday, June 2 through Monday, June 5
  • Super Regionals: Friday, June 9 through Monday, June 12
  • First day of MCWS games — Friday, June 16
  • MCWS Finals — Start Saturday, June 24 (best out of 3)

INDIANAPOLIS – The NCAA Division I Baseball Committee announced the 16 regional sites for the 76th annual NCAA Division I Baseball Championship.

The 16 regional sites, with host institutions and records are as follows:

• Auburn, Alabama – Auburn (34-21-1)
  • Baton Rouge, Louisiana – LSU (43-15)
  • Charlottesville, Virginia – Virginia (45-12)
  • Clemson, South Carolina – Clemson (43-17)
  • Columbia, South Carolina – South Carolina (39-19)
  • Conway, South Carolina – Coastal Carolina (39-19)
  • Coral Gables, Florida – Miami (FL) (40-19)
  • Fayetteville, Arkansas – Arkansas (41-16)
  • Gainesville, Florida – Florida (44-14)
  • Lexington, Kentucky – Kentucky (36-18)
  • Nashville, Tennessee – Vanderbilt (41-18)
  • Stanford, California – Stanford (38-16)
  • Stillwater, Oklahoma – Oklahoma State (41-17) through games of 5/28
  • Terre Haute, Indiana – Indiana State (42-15)
  • Tuscaloosa, Alabama – Alabama (40-19)
  • Winston-Salem, North Carolina – Wake Forest (47-10)

"The full 64-team field, top-16 national seeds, first-round regional pairings and site assignments will be announced at Noon (ET), Monday, May 29. The one-hour program will be shown live on ESPN2. The committee will set the entire 64-team bracket through both the super regionals and the first round of the Men’s College World Series and will not reseed the field after play begins."

Was REALLY bored in the middle of the night and couldn't sleep. I put together my own regional seedings... not a guess of how it will actually go, just how I'd do it. The {parentheses) teams are the #2 seeds. I had reasons for most all of the seeding, but hell if I remember most of it. Just for fun...

1. Wake Forest (Northeastern)
2. Florida (North Carolina)
3. LSU (Dallas Baptist)
4. Arkansas (Oregon State)
5. Vanderbilt (East Carolina)
6. Clemson (Campbell)
7. Coastal Carolina (Duke)
8. Virginia (East Carolina)

9. Alabama (West Virginia)
10. Miami (Texas)
11. auburn (Southern Miss)
12. Stanford (TCU)
13. Kentucky (Indiana State)
14. Oklahoma State (Texas A&M)
15. South Carolina (UCONN)
16. Boston College (Tennessee)
Dayum! I think you missed ONE! Indiana State instead of Boston College.

Dayum! I think you missed ONE! Indiana State instead of Boston College.

Well, I think most all the teams were pretty well locked in but maybe 2-3 on the cusp, if that. I'll be interested where they slot the Vols tomorrow... they should probably be the highest 2 seed IMO, but regardless, they'll be a tough matchup for whatever regional draws them.

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama baseball will host an NCAA Regional at Sewell-Thomas Stadium from June 2-5.

The Crimson Tide will welcome three teams to Tuscaloosa. The opening round of NCAA Regionals will begin on Friday, June 2 and run through Monday, June 5. Each Regional is double-elimination with only one team advancing from each Regional site into NCAA Super Regional play.

Fans interested in attending the NCAA Tuscaloosa Regional can purchase all-session tickets for $60. All-session tickets include general admission and Right Field Terrace seating. Tickets will go on sale Tuesday, May 30 at 10 a.m. CT and can be purchased in-person at the Alabama Ticket Office windows located inside Coleman Coliseum or online by clicking here.

Alabama will be making its 26th all-time appearance in the NCAA Tournament and is a host-seed for the first time since 2006. The Crimson Tide holds a 71-51 (.582) overall record in the NCAA Tournament, including a 57-37 (.606) mark in Regionals. When in Tuscaloosa, the Tide holds a 9-2 (.818) mark in Regional play. Alabama has claimed seven Regional Championships in program history including titles in 1950, 1983, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2006, 2010.

Get all the latest information on the team by following @AlabamaBSB on Twitter and Instagram and on Facebook at Alabama Baseball. General athletic news can be found at UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and AlabamaAthletics on Facebook.

John Cohen? 🤷‍♂️
Likely!! Summbitch!!!!

For all of the talk from the D1 Baseball guys, it looked like a 10 or 11 seed was a lock.
You could see the disbelief on our guys faces because they know that we get through this weekend, we have to take on Wake Forest.
We take 3 of 4 from the Barn and have a stronger RPI and SOS I believe, yet they get a 13 seed!!! I hope Southern Miss skull drags them!!

A couple of thoughts... Just got home from being out and looked up the seeding. Was really surprised to see Bama at 16... didn't think they'd be any lower than 13 and certainly not below auburn who they beat 3 out of 4 times, including just days ago on a neutral field (plus UA has the higher RPI).

-For Bama, getting paired with Boston College kinda sucks. Should beat them and playing at home should help, but I don't think Boston College is going to be very intimidated. They've played some good teams... Wake, Clemson, Virginia, Duke, NC State, and Louisville. Side note, their first series of the season was @ Pepperdine... Bama was supposed to play a series there too, but it was cancelled because of rain. Looking ahead, if chalk wins out, Wake is 29-3 at home this season. They are really good, and even though the SEC runs the baseball show, Wake is certainly deserving of the #1 slot. Their non-conference schedule was trash, but they didn't lose a conference series all season. Pretty impressive.

-Stanford being that high is a joke. They haven't played a top 25 RPI team all season. Don't care how good they've been, I wouldn't reward shitty scheduling like that. I think Texas A&M takes them down. If so, a Texas A&M v. Texas Super Regional maybe? That would be fun.

-Clemson got the backhand from the committee... a #4 seed and they get to deal with the Vols? After last year's embarrassment, I expect Tennessee to play much better this time around, and they have the roster to make a deep run. Playing on the road has been their kryptonite though... they've been a different team, a much worse team, when having to travel.

-Southern Miss and Samford could cause auburn some problems if the Tiger's pitching reverts back to their midseason form after this little break.

-On paper, Arkansas has a nice path to Omaha. LSU and Vandy look promising as well. Florida should, but something tells me they are going to struggle a bit. Some good teams in their way, and a possibly looming South Carolina team swept them earlier this season.

I say all that to say this... I'm not going to pretend to be all that outraged by the seeding. At this point you have to beat the best teams anyway. If Alabama can get to the 2nd weekend and face Wake Forest, the Tide will have a chance. And who knows, Wake could pull a Tennessee trick from last year and bust their ass out of the gate. But, if Alabama can keep the rest of their arms healthy and the key bats stay hot like they have been, they can beat anybody in a best of 3 series. I'll be out of town and miss the regionals, but hoping they win, the Deacons fall, and they can bring a Super Regional back to Tuscaloosa... if so, I plan on being there.

Gs6NjjVn

10 of the 64 are from the Carolina's.

You'll also notice a few names we've talked about in future SEC discussions.

FIELD BY CONFERENCE (30)

Southeastern10 (Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Kentucky, LSU, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt)
Atlantic Coast8 [Boston College, Clemson, Duke, Miami (FL), NC State, North Carolina, Virginia, Wake Forest]
Big 126 (Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, West Virginia)
Pac-125 (Arizona, Oregon, Oregon St., Stanford, Washington)
Sun Belt4 (Coastal Carolina, Louisiana, Southern Miss., Troy)
Big Ten3 (Indiana, Iowa, Maryland)
American2 (East Carolina, Tulane)
Big East2 (UConn, Xavier)
Colonial2 (Northeastern, UNCW)
Conference USA2 (Charlotte, DBU)
America East1 (Maine)
Atlantic-101 (George Mason)
ASUN1 (Lipscomb)
Big South1 (Campbell)
Big West1 (Cal St. Fullerton)
Horizon1 (Wright St.)
Ivy1 (Penn)
Metro Atlantic1 (Rider)
Mid-American1 (Ball St.)
Missouri Valley1 (Indiana St.)
Mountain West1 (San Jose St.)
Northeast1 (Central Conn. St.)
Ohio Valley1 (Eastern Ill.)
Patriot1 (Army West Point)
Southern1 (Samford)
Southland1 (Nicholls)
SWAC1 (Florida A&M)
Summit1 (Oral Roberts)
West Coast1 (Santa Clara)
Western Athletic1 (Sam Houston)

A few of us were talking about heading up to Myrtle Beach / Conway for some food, drink, and a little baseball with Coastal. All I know so far is what a friend said, "They ain't cheap."
Single game tickets for Saturday are standing room only in the Right field terrace, $30 apiece on SeatGeek for the Winners Bracket game, $8 for elimination game. Still hoping to grab a pair there Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom