| BSB/SB đźĄŽ#17 Alabama v. #13 Texas A&M: Tide wins game two to even series. (Sunday, 1CT on ESPNU)

The last two games have had how many errors? It's softball, that should be extremely minimized with how the bats are made and size of the playing field.
The defense has been terrible the last 2 days, and bad overall this season. But honestly not sure what that last part even means. They make the same type of errors we see baseball players make. And they're female. Most females can't navigate a Publix parking lot without hitting a curb... not sure why fielding a smoked grounder and making a quick throw to first should be easier for them.

I've made my feelings known why I'm not a fan of him. No offense to women, but he may be able to swwoze over young women, but two very close other people I know have said he cares more about how he comes across than he truly does any of his coaches and players. All perception I've heard.
I remember you've said you don't care for him and have heard stuff about him. That's fine. I personally haven't ever really heard anything bad that I recall, and that includes one of his former neighbors who spoke with him often. Most of his former players love him... But, I'm sure I could find someone who says he's an ass if I looked hard enough. Could easily do the same for Oats and obviously Saban (who was indeed an ass, daily).

Starting to clearly see he's being outcoached every year.
Who all has outcoached him? List please.

I don't necessarily buy a money influx causing this because a good coach makes up the difference. Look at Oats and Saban dealing with smaller NIL purses than many of our opponents.
You can buy what you wish, but it's an undeniable fact that money from the ESPN/SEC Network deals helped boost several SEC softball programs, starting with things like facilities. It caused a trickle-up effect. If you want to categorize that as an excuse, feel free. I didn't really intend it that way, but it's a valid and yes, real, reason why the SEC as a whole is now so good. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing either, at least for the sport.

Really needs a fire lit under his ass when it comes to portal and recruiting. Going after those that “check the boxes” is lazy and antiquated. Sounds like some football coaches when it comes to QB position, “ got to be at least 6’3” 225 before we will look at him!” Kids like Jalen, Tua, and Bryce would’ve never got a shot! It’s the same in other sports, including softball. Personally, I don’t give a shit what they look like, I want kids that can play ball! Go out and recruit athletes and stop with the cookie cutter bullshit!
An upgrade at defensive assistant may be needed, that is if he has one. Some new ideas with fresh eyes!!

Really needs a fire lit under his ass when it comes to portal and recruiting. Going after those that “check the boxes” is lazy and antiquated. Sounds like some football coaches when it comes to QB position, “ got to be at least 6’3” 225 before we will look at him!” Kids like Jalen, Tua, and Bryce would’ve never got a shot! It’s the same in other sports, including softball. Personally, I don’t give a shit what they look like, I want kids that can play ball! Go out and recruit athletes and stop with the cookie cutter bullshit!
An upgrade at defensive assistant may be needed, that is if he has one. Some new ideas with fresh eyes!!

I probably should have been more specific there… it’s more about being a perfect fit within the team, not about their abilities on the field. Problem is, doing the former can significantly shrink the pool of the latter if you keep squeezing it too much. Basically, in an effort to avoid potential bad apples, he’s handcuffing himself to a degree. He’s also been on the wrong side of some negative recruiting type stuff, but with the way the league is now, that’s part of the territory.

With my daughter being close to recruiting age for softball (Sept 1 of Junior year), we have been to tons of camps in the southeast. We have been to 3 Bama camps and they have by far pulled in the deepest pool of talent of all the schools we have been to (mostly SEC schools). I am just mentioning that to say if we land a few of those kids then Bama will be in good hands for quite a while. It is still a highly coveted destination for many elite players.

BTW, Kayla Beaver is elite. Kid is an absolute stud. I'm not sure how anyone could possibly disagree.

Also, Murph is the infield coach.

I do find it interesting that while watching the games my 15 year old daughter is constantly asking why does Bama try to pull every drop ball. She knows you have to get below the ball and drive it to right center (for a righty of course). I am a big Murph fan but sometimes I wonder what advice they are getting on things.

With my daughter being close to recruiting age for softball (Sept 1 of Junior year), we have been to tons of camps in the southeast. We have been to 3 Bama camps and they have by far pulled in the deepest pool of talent of all the schools we have been to (mostly SEC schools). I am just mentioning that to say if we land a few of those kids then Bama will be in good hands for quite a while. It is still a highly coveted destination for many elite players.

BTW, Kayla Beaver is elite. Kid is an absolute stud. I'm not sure how anyone could possibly disagree.

Also, Murph is the infield coach.

I do find it interesting that while watching the games my 15 year old daughter is constantly asking why does Bama try to pull every drop ball. She knows you have to get below the ball and drive it to right center (for a righty of course). I am a big Murph fan but sometimes I wonder what advice they are getting on things.

I was hoping you would add some thoughts here… 👍🏻

1. The defense has been terrible the last 2 days, and bad overall this season. But honestly not sure what that last part even means. They make the same type of errors we see baseball players make. And they're female. Most females can't navigate a Publix parking lot without hitting a curb... not sure why fielding a smoked grounder and making a quick throw to first should be easier for them.

2. I remember you've said you don't care for him and have heard stuff about him. That's fine. I personally haven't ever really heard anything bad that I recall, and that includes one of his former neighbors who spoke with him often. Most of his former players love him... But, I'm sure I could find someone who says he's an ass if I looked hard enough. Could easily do the same for Oats and obviously Saban (who was indeed an ass, daily).

3. Who all has outcoached him? List please.

4. You can buy what you wish, but it's an undeniable fact that money from the ESPN/SEC Network deals helped boost several SEC softball programs, starting with things like facilities. It caused a trickle-up effect. If you want to categorize that as an excuse, feel free. I didn't really intend it that way, but it's a valid and yes, real, reason why the SEC as a whole is now so good. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing either, at least for the sport.

1. Sorry man, but this is a terrible comment as there are countless girls that can field a ball better than a lot of male players. My comment derives from the absolute terrible fielding this team is showing, and the one last year that had errors as well and could not overcome them. In softball the bats aren't as hot as baseball bats and if you ever watch a game up close or have someone you know that plays and you watch closely, you can hit a ball on 98% of the bat and it just dies in softball. That 2% is hit really hard and you can tell as soon as it's hit due to the sound. That means there are many more playable balls than you would see on a baseball diamond for instance. Smaller field means smaller area to cover. I personally feel there shouldn't be as many errors as we are seeing. A top notch coach and program??? You wouldn't have this.

2. Everyone has an opinion, I just know the ones I've heard worked under him and said he treats his staff less. The smiles and exuberance on TV is not what is seen behind the scenes when the cameras aren't rolling is what I was told. Difference between Saban and Murphy, is Saban never hid what and who he was. He demanded excellence and that's what he got. He never had lulls. Unless you count two or three losses in one season a lull. Same with Oats. He does not apologize or try and come across as anything other than a high intensity guy that expects the most.

3. Who has outcoached him? SEC Standings back to 2015. Not terrible, not great, but plenty of other teams outperforming, and this is just in the SEC.1713318594385.png1713318627259.png1713318652393.png1713318666172.png1713318681564.png1713318703974.png1713318718903.png1713318739219.png1713318751480.png1713318765442.png

4. Money always helps, you're right. I was under the impression money was never an issue at Alabama, muchless what I am expecting to be our highest profile women's program. I don't think money can be used as a reason we have fallen as far as we have without a pitcher like Montana, Traina, Osorio, Littlejohn etc. We have had the arms, we have had the bats, All-Americans, Olympians, we've had it all, and all around the same era for the most part. The Rhoads Family donated a lot of money to this program and it was a hot name for a long time now, so what has cooled or what has kept it from blossoming like so many other programs? If we are in fact getting the players, then why has development not occurred and why are we not seeing the results a Top 10 program should see?

@Tidexc1 , I always enjoy your comments about ball because you're in it like I am with baseball. My comment to you about Alabama still being a hot name and bringing deep levels of recruits is, well so is Notre Dame in football, but they aren't a threat for the National Championship or what any of us would consider a top tier program in today's game. It's very much a sought after program and an offer thousands would love to have, but in the end they're another Tier 2 or Tier 3 program that isn't a true threat, and I feel the same could be said about our softball program right now. Last year without Montana, it would have been uglier than this year, and she fought through injuries to give her team a shot. Understand what I mean by this because we all know most teenagers think they know it all, but if your 15 year old is questioning what is going on, and more than once, is that not a sign of things going on and being displayed?

1. Sorry man, but this is a terrible comment as there are countless girls that can field a ball better than a lot of male players. My comment derives from the absolute terrible fielding this team is showing, and the one last year that had errors as well and could not overcome them. In softball the bats aren't as hot as baseball bats and if you ever watch a game up close or have someone you know that plays and you watch closely, you can hit a ball on 98% of the bat and it just dies in softball. That 2% is hit really hard and you can tell as soon as it's hit due to the sound. That means there are many more playable balls than you would see on a baseball diamond for instance. Smaller field means smaller area to cover. I personally feel there shouldn't be as many errors as we are seeing. A top notch coach and program??? You wouldn't have this.

I agree, and have said as much, that the defense has been bad. But every point you're throwing out there has a counterpoint to it. Smaller area also means plays/throws have to be made faster. More playable balls, routine or not, will simply equal more errors... for any team. But again, yes, the amount of errors (and the type of errors) is very concerning and needs to get fixed.

2. Everyone has an opinion, I just know the ones I've heard worked under him and said he treats his staff less. The smiles and exuberance on TV is not what is seen behind the scenes when the cameras aren't rolling is what I was told. Difference between Saban and Murphy, is Saban never hid what and who he was. He demanded excellence and that's what he got. He never had lulls. Unless you count two or three losses in one season a lull. Same with Oats. He does not apologize or try and come across as anything other than a high intensity guy that expects the most.

Ok. I don't really understand how any of this factors into any of this honestly. That should have probably been my reply in the previous post and just left it at that. We are unlikely to find much common ground here but regardless, I don't see the relevance.

3. Who has outcoached him? SEC Standings back to 2015. Not terrible, not great, but plenty of other teams outperforming, and this is just in the SEC.

Was hoping for some actual names there instead of some discombobulated W/L charts. But if that's the metic, then let's use it (not sure why standings stopped it '15, but that's ok). So if I'm seeing the final standings right going back those years (and taking out the '20 COVID year), the only teams that had a higher average finish than Bama is Tennessee (barely) and Florida (who is well ahead of both). But if we dig a little deeper on the Vols, and you'll allow me that "outperforming" would also include postseason success, then we see that since '15, Tennessee has had just 2 WCWS appearances and failed to make it out of Regional play 3 different times. Alabama... 5 WCWS appearances and failed to make it out of Regional play only once. Florida's run during that same time period is ahead of Bama's, mostly because of their WCWS title in '15 (other than that, the postseason resume is very similar).

4. Money always helps, you're right. I was under the impression money was never an issue at Alabama, muchless what I am expecting to be our highest profile women's program. I don't think money can be used as a reason we have fallen as far as we have without a pitcher like Montana, Traina, Osorio, Littlejohn etc. We have had the arms, we have had the bats, All-Americans, Olympians, we've had it all, and all around the same era for the most part. The Rhoads Family donated a lot of money to this program and it was a hot name for a long time now, so what has cooled or what has kept it from blossoming like so many other programs? If we are in fact getting the players, then why has development not occurred and why are we not seeing the results a Top 10 program should see?

I think you kinda answered your own question in a way there. Generous support and donations from a select few (namely Ann Rhoads) helped put Alabama ahead of (most of) the pack in terms of facility upgrades years ago. Murphy, together with the support, snowballed Alabama into a power. Eventually, along came the TV money and some other schools poured a lot of that into their own softball programs... a Build it and they they'll come approach in a way. After that, NIL and collectives kicked in, which again, is helping others catch up. It isn't, IMO, so much that Bama is falling off the mountain, it's others are climbing higher. Basically, to use your term if I may, Bama blossomed years ago... here lately, some other schools finally have as well. Look at Florida the last couple of years... they're not running through the league like a hot knife through butter lately either, unlike a few years ago.

Also, to backtrack some, money is always an issue (to a degree) at Alabama. UA has nice things, much nicer than most, but they are far from having an unlimited stream of cash. There's a reason Byrne begs for donations. There's a reason why the basketball arena keeps getting punted. And now, the need to have these stupid collectives only makes it worse.

That last part about getting the players? IMO Bama is NOT getting the players they need. And they haven't held onto a couple of the ones they did get that they needed. The overall talent the last couple of years has been below what it should be, IMO. There's immediate issues that need to be shored up, like the defensive play which we hit on... but Murphy is going to have raise the talent level some if he wants to win another WCWS title. My point from earlier in the thread though is, he's either going to get that chance or he's going to decide to walk away... he ain't getting fired in the foreseeable future.

1. Sorry man, but this is a terrible comment as there are countless girls that can field a ball better than a lot of male players.
A critique talking about two different sports? Girls field better than guys ... and then 98% of balls hit in softball are soft?

Wow...normally don't quit after one or two sentences. I'm outta this one.

A critique talking about two different sports? Girls field better than guys ... and then 98% of balls hit in softball are soft?

Wow...normally don't quit after one or two sentences. I'm outta this one.

You have to compare them to share sort of point. Women are more technical than men, they break things down further and are more mechanical. That's how it is in most aspects of life. Just look at softball, basketball, and gynmastics, way more technical than men. The point about the bats is just the equipment. I can't help that's true. Still a very challenging sport, but with bigger stronger men using aliminum bats and the ball moving faster, it all makes sense.

I agree, and have said as much, that the defense has been bad. But every point you're throwing out there has a counterpoint to it. Smaller area also means plays/throws have to be made faster. More playable balls, routine or not, will simply equal more errors... for any team. But again, yes, the amount of errors (and the type of errors) is very concerning and needs to get fixed.

Ok. I don't really understand how any of this factors into any of this honestly. That should have probably been my reply in the previous post and just left it at that. We are unlikely to find much common ground here but regardless, I don't see the relevance.

Was hoping for some actual names there instead of some discombobulated W/L charts. But if that's the metic, then let's use it (not sure why standings stopped it '15, but that's ok). So if I'm seeing the final standings right going back those years (and taking out the '20 COVID year), the only teams that had a higher average finish than Bama is Tennessee (barely) and Florida (who is well ahead of both). But if we dig a little deeper on the Vols, and you'll allow me that "outperforming" would also include postseason success, then we see that since '15, Tennessee has had just 2 WCWS appearances and failed to make it out of Regional play 3 different times. Alabama... 5 WCWS appearances and failed to make it out of Regional play only once. Florida's run during that same time period is ahead of Bama's, mostly because of their WCWS title in '15 (other than that, the postseason resume is very similar).

I think you kinda answered your own question in a way there. Generous support and donations from a select few (namely Ann Rhoads) helped put Alabama ahead of (most of) the pack in terms of facility upgrades years ago. Murphy, together with the support, snowballed Alabama into a power. Eventually, along came the TV money and some other schools poured a lot of that into their own softball programs... a Build it and they they'll come approach in a way. After that, NIL and collectives kicked in, which again, is helping others catch up. It isn't, IMO, so much that Bama is falling off the mountain, it's others are climbing higher. Basically, to use your term if I may, Bama blossomed years ago... here lately, some other schools finally have as well. Look at Florida the last couple of years... they're not running through the league like a hot knife through butter lately either, unlike a few years ago.

Also, to backtrack some, money is always an issue (to a degree) at Alabama. UA has nice things, much nicer than most, but they are far from having an unlimited stream of cash. There's a reason Byrne begs for donations. There's a reason why the basketball arena keeps getting punted. And now, the need to have these stupid collectives only makes it worse.

That last part about getting the players? IMO Bama is NOT getting the players they need. And they haven't held onto a couple of the ones they did get that they needed. The overall talent the last couple of years has been below what it should be, IMO. There's immediate issues that need to be shored up, like the defensive play which we hit on... but Murphy is going to have raise the talent level some if he wants to win another WCWS title. My point from earlier in the thread though is, he's either going to get that chance or he's going to decide to walk away... he ain't getting fired in the foreseeable future.

Not cherry picking the stats to 2015, it was just as far as the website went backwards in my quick response. That's just the SEC as I said, more programs outside of there. As far as names instead of teams, just take those coaches. Alabama has been gifted regionals and to be fair, some pretty good draws considering the team's performance. It has been discussed here before.

As far as my comments about him, can't shake the relevance of the point as it's simply another piece of the puzzle that shares maybe he's not the guy everyone perceives. Maybe he's in fact not a great coach and has simply been fortunate to have the right pieces at the right time. That's not as creative as it may sound. Plenty of coaches out there rise theough the ranks off a winner and simply cannot replicate it.

I'm not saying he's worthless and there are 100 better. I'm saying he's ran his course and is showing he isn't the guy that can lead the program into the new era. To me it appears his window has closed. Due to the large amount of pist season teams that get in, he'll get his team a bigmd, but as a top tier program fighting for a Championship, I don't think that'll happen. Alabama has not been a serious threat in the college world series the last couple of times, and it was literally one person it hinged on, Montana Fouts.

Wanted to add about your field comments. You are 100% correct and it's to my piint you have to be quick and technical. Where is that talent or development? The other comment about hit balls though was to the point is these plays are make able and not some Herculean effort, routine stuff for them. My other point to this is the lack of area to cover, so fielding can easily be focused on compared to athleticism that goes into covering a larger area. Something is a miss. You just don't see these mistakes from well coached teams.

It was hitting, now fielding, so I'm not blaming our players because they received scholarships based on decorated careers and are likely holding offers at other top flight universities. They are accountable to an extent, but there is a bigger problem somewhere.

Last edited:
Several points to consider:
We all know our hitting has been lacking for several seasons now. Guess what, the players know that too. And it puts way more pressure on the defense and pitching when they know scoring 4 or 5 runs in a game in unlikely. That pressure can lead to more mistakes unfortunately.

On the hitting side, I, oddly enough, don't believe it is a mechanical issue. I believe it is an approach issue. Take Abby Duchscherer for example. Her swing is night and day better mechanically now than it was just last year. Granted she has outside hitting coaches but the vast majority of the work is done in house. I believe they are getting the right advice on the mechanics but lack in the way to attack a pitcher.

As far as fielding being easier for softball, I don't pay much attention to baseball but in softball an elite exit velo is 75-80 mph. A 3B is about 50-55 feet from home. Not much reaction time. Also, with the bases at 60 ft, one bobble in softball usually equals safe at first.

Several points to consider:
We all know our hitting has been lacking for several seasons now. Guess what, the players know that too. And it puts way more pressure on the defense and pitching when they know scoring 4 or 5 runs in a game in unlikely. That pressure can lead to more mistakes unfortunately.

On the hitting side, I, oddly enough, don't believe it is a mechanical issue. I believe it is an approach issue. Take Abby Duchscherer for example. Her swing is night and day better mechanically now than it was just last year. Granted she has outside hitting coaches but the vast majority of the work is done in house. I believe they are getting the right advice on the mechanics but lack in the way to attack a pitcher.

As far as fielding being easier for softball, I don't pay much attention to baseball but in softball an elite exit velo is 75-80 mph. A 3B is about 50-55 feet from home. Not much reaction time. Also, with the bases at 60 ft, one bobble in softball usually equals safe at first.

A hitter's approach is a major piece of the hitting puzzle, and that's why hitting a baseball/softball is the toughest thing to do in sports. With our 10U team, we are preaching "come to the plate with a plan". We started the approach last year at 9U, but it was a tough concept to grasp, but most are understanding that this year. They all still want to come up and smash the ball, but are starting to understand counts better and expectations as far as pitches. Softball is way different than baseball, because the ball grip can be hidden longer and the spin is harder to see due to mound to plate distances compared to baseball.

As far as fielding, you are correct that it's a quicker reaction and therefor not much room for a bobble. When comparing elite velo, you want to think you're also comparing it to elite talent as well, and that's where the hang up is. Are other programs seeing the regression in field play?

Exit velo averages for baseball just for reference...

1713365028420.png

Just a quick look at the differences between bats and why it's more difficult to hit a softball harder than a baseball due to smaller sweet spot.

Not cherry picking the stats to 2015, it was just as far as the website went backwards in my quick response. That's just the SEC as I said, more programs outside of there. As far as names instead of teams, just take those coaches. Alabama has been gifted regionals and to be fair, some pretty good draws considering the team's performance. It has been discussed here before.

As far as my comments about him, can't shake the relevance of the point as it's simply another piece of the puzzle that shares maybe he's not the guy everyone perceives. Maybe he's in fact not a great coach and has simply been fortunate to have the right pieces at the right time. That's not as creative as it may sound. Plenty of coaches out there rise theough the ranks off a winner and simply cannot replicate it.

I'm not saying he's worthless and there are 100 better. I'm saying he's ran his course and is showing he isn't the guy that can lead the program into the new era. To me it appears his window has closed. Due to the large amount of pist season teams that get in, he'll get his team a bigmd, but as a top tier program fighting for a Championship, I don't think that'll happen. Alabama has not been a serious threat in the college world series the last couple of times, and it was literally one person it hinged on, Montana Fouts.

Wanted to add about your field comments. You are 100% correct and it's to my piint you have to be quick and technical. Where is that talent or development? The other comment about hit balls though was to the point is these plays are make able and not some Herculean effort, routine stuff for them. My other point to this is the lack of area to cover, so fielding can easily be focused on compared to athleticism that goes into covering a larger area. Something is a miss. You just don't see these mistakes from well coached teams.

It was hitting, now fielding, so I'm not blaming our players because they received scholarships based on decorated careers and are likely holding offers at other top flight universities. They are accountable to an extent, but there is a bigger problem somewhere.

You may well prove to be right... I was intrigued by how he was going to handle the "off-season" last summer/fall, and I gave it mixed reviews... this upcoming off-season will be another (even bigger) test. As of today, OU and Texas both knock UA (and pretty much everyone else) down 2 pegs the second they walk in the door... he's going to have to get try and stay ahead of that in terms of talent. I think we differ on his ability to coach them, but that's the next part of the equation anyway... IMO, even Patty Gasso ain't going to take the current roster and do her usual OU type things with it. And I'm certainly not trying to down the players... I love and support any of them that wear the UA jersey and give their all. But in reality, it's kinda like the baseball team... they are pretty much a .500 level roster in league play this year, but I support the hell out of them. It's just a tough ass league.

You may well prove to be right... I was intrigued by how he was going to handle the "off-season" last summer/fall, and I gave it mixed reviews... this upcoming off-season will be another (even bigger) test. As of today, OU and Texas both knock UA (and pretty much everyone else) down 2 pegs the second they walk in the door... he's going to have to get try and stay ahead of that in terms of talent. I think we differ on his ability to coach them, but that's the next part of the equation anyway... IMO, even Patty Gasso ain't going to take the current roster and do her usual OU type things with it. And I'm certainly not trying to down the players... I love and support any of them that wear the UA jersey and give their all. But in reality, it's kinda like the baseball team... they are pretty much a .500 level roster in league play this year, but I support the hell out of them. It's just a tough ass league.

You're right, Roll Tide baby.

Back
Top Bottom