| BSB/SB šŸ„Ž#17 Alabama v. #13 Texas A&M: Tide wins game two to even series. (Sunday, 1CT on ESPNU)

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
Much like the baseball team, this will be a tough series for Bama, but they get them at home... will have strong crowds... and all 3 will be televised. Big opportunity for Bama to get back into the top half of the SEC standings.. they currently sit at 6-6 (8th in the league). A&M is 10-5.

Well the Bama softball team got a big azz whipping by A&M 17 - 6 in the second game of the 3 game series. Itā€™s obvious after watching several games this season Murphy has major problems all brought on by his lack of keeping up with the changes of the game over the last several years. A decline in talent, no player development especially the offense and etc.

šŸ‘. I think that would fall under the category of COACHING

Hasn't been ideally good (consistently) since 2017 'ish. IMO, it's one of many small issues that has snowballed... but someone is going to have to really lay out a well thought out, non-emotion based blueprint going forward other than, "Fire Murphy." Mostly because, firing Murphy will not be an option right now whether I agreed with it or not (and for the record, I don't).

Hasn't been ideally good (consistently) since 2017 'ish. IMO, it's one of many small issues that has snowballed... but someone is going to have to really lay out a well thought out, non-emotion based blueprint going forward other than, "Fire Murphy." Mostly because, firing Murphy will not be an option right now whether I agreed with it or not (and for the record, I don't).
IMO.Murphy is going to have to get really serious about recruiting and the transfer portal. The talent level is middle to bottom
in the SEC. I agree thereā€™s been a decline since around 2017. Veteran players on this team ( I wonā€™t call any names) have regressed over the past 2-3 years. This season is practically over for this team. Offense has been terrible, not only this year, but for several. Another big issue this year is pitching. KB is it and sheā€™s not elite. In the past Murphy had Fouts and others to cover for the inept offense, not this year. Maybe there will be some improvement this season. RTR

IMO.Murphy is going to have to get really serious about recruiting and the transfer portal. The talent level is middle to bottom
in the SEC. I agree thereā€™s been a decline since around 2017. Veteran players on this team ( I wonā€™t call any names) have regressed over the past 2-3 years. This season is practically over for this team. Offense has been terrible, not only this year, but for several. Another big issue this year is pitching. KB is it and sheā€™s not elite. In the past Murphy had Fouts and others to cover for the inept offense, not this year. Maybe there will be some improvement this season. RTR

I wholeheartedly agree with that. I said last year he needed to be more flexible in who he takes instead of making sure players check every single box. The exodus of those freshmen girls a couple years ago bothered him, and IMO, sent him back deeper into his "checked boxes" tendency. I'm not ever going to deliberately call out a UA athlete in any sport, especially one who is giving their all and such... but the roster from top to bottom (especially the position spots) is lacking the overall talent needed at this point. And in the portal, he's going to have to be more aggressive, again IMO. But, I will also say that the rise of the SEC as a whole in recent years from the flood of money into the conference, which has been poured into all the other softball programs, was bound to be an equalizer to a big degree. Other teams are now much more talented than they used to be, the level of coaching is better, some girls that Bama would have signed several years ago are instead going elsewhere... hell, it's weird seeing MSU be good at softball now, but they are a perfect example. They were putting just enough into it to stay afloat, then decided to get serious and it's night and day from just a couple years ago. SEC Softball has officially turned into SEC Baseball, where year to year, top to bottom, there isn't much separation.

I don't see the pitching being as bad as you do, but they've had some bad moments. 30% of the runs given up have been unearned. That's a big problem than has made the pitching look worse than it is. Also, the offense hasn't helped them out at times. But the staff ERA is under 2.00. Hard to ask much more than that. Honestly, post Fouts, that's better than I was expecting.

But again, I completely agree that Murphy needs to step back and reevaluate some things. I just don't agree with some (a few here and many of them elsewhere) who say that he needs to be fired. That's a non-starter.

Why? What has he done to keep his job? Been 12 years now. You would be fired at your job for regressing like this. The last two games have had how many errors? It's softball, that should be extremely minimized with how the bats are made and size of the playing field. I've made my feelings known why I'm not a fan of him. No offense to women, but he may be able to swwoze over young women, but two very close other people I know have said he cares more about how he comes across than he truly does any of his coaches and players. All perception I've heard. Starting to clearly see he's being outcoached every year. I don't necessarily buy a money influx causing this because a good coach makes up the difference. Look at Oats and Saban dealing with smaller NIL purses than many of our opponents.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom