| FOOD 10 Alabama food brands you should know

A couple I would add...

ALAGA Yellow Label Syrup... similar to Golden Eagle. And Alabama Sunshine Hot Sauce... newer to the scene, but good stuff.
Golden Eagle over Yellow Label, given outside ownership/operation, and if you're going to include Dale's might've included all the sauces offered in groceries, from Dreamland on down.

I'll put in a plug for the best cheesecake I've ever had, anywhere, not just Alabama. "That Cheesecake" from Tuscaloosa is a white chocolate variety that's killer. Originally a catering-only offering, it's grown to be offered at the Market on Saturdays in Tuscaloosa, it's been the signature dessert at the former Desperado's and the current Southern Ale House in T'town for some years (won best dessert in Tuscaloosa Magazine), and you can buy a smaller version of it at Mark's Mart in Northport, but not Selma yet. They sell in bulk to companies (like stock brokers and the like) to give to their customer base each year at Christmas, and one company builds a special shipping crate to ship a few hundred of them to their home office every year...in Chicago.

Golden Eagle over Yellow Label, given outside ownership/operation, and if you're going to include Dale's might've included all the sauces offered in groceries, from Dreamland on down.

I'll put in a plug for the best cheesecake I've ever had, anywhere, not just Alabama. "That Cheesecake" from Tuscaloosa is a white chocolate variety that's killer. Originally a catering-only offering, it's grown to be offered at the Market on Saturdays in Tuscaloosa, it's been the signature dessert at the former Desperado's and the current Southern Ale House in T'town for some years (won best dessert in Tuscaloosa Magazine), and you can buy a smaller version of it at Mark's Mart in Northport, but not Selma yet. They sell in bulk to companies (like stock brokers and the like) to give to their customer base each year at Christmas, and one company builds a special shipping crate to ship a few hundred of them to their home office every year...in Chicago.

Agree, 100%... but I like both. I almost went down the sauce/seasoning road... but it gets muddy too. Olllie's BBQ sauce though is a personal favorite. Aliso, some of Pilleteri's stuff.

Golden Eagle Syrup: Three or four years ago I had a bumper crop of honey. Each year I put a sign up in the front yard and sell it off the front porch on the honor system. That year I had an Iranian guy stop, knock on the door and ask if he bought 2 gallons of honey in pint jars would I give him a discount. I was selling it for $8 a pint at that time.

I thanked him but said "no, I don't have any problem selling it." He bought 16 pints and left. A day or so later another guy stopped by and told me, "I bought a jar of your honey from the Marathon gas station on Hwy 24. It's really good." I thanked him and after he left drove over to the store to see what was going on because I have never sold any honey except at my house.

On a display rack near the cash register was a sign saying LOCAL HONEY and a dozen of my jars of honey, still with my card attached, and a dozen more pint jars without my card. I asked the lady at the counter if this was all local honey and she said "yes." The price was $13 per pint jar. About that time the Iranian guy walks in from the back and says, "your honey is a good seller, I've already sold 8 jars!"

I said, "but you only bought 16 jars, where did these other jars of honey come from?" He smiled and said, "I'm a good business man! I mix your honey, half a jar, with half a jar of Golden Eagle syrup and people love it."

I asked, "so these jars with my cards are half Golden Eagle syrup?" "Yes!" with a big smile he said. I told him I wanted my cards back because that wasn't 100% honey anymore. He didn't like it but I cut the ribbon I tie the cards on the jars with, collected my cards and left.

Golden Eagle syrup at that time was just under $3 a pint.

Golden Eagle Syrup: Three or four years ago I had a bumper crop of honey. Each year I put a sign up in the front yard and sell it off the front porch on the honor system. That year I had an Iranian guy stop, knock on the door and ask if he bought 2 gallons of honey in pint jars would I give him a discount. I was selling it for $8 a pint at that time.

I thanked him but said "no, I don't have any problem selling it." He bought 16 pints and left. A day or so later another guy stopped by and told me, "I bought a jar of your honey from the Marathon gas station on Hwy 24. It's really good." I thanked him and after he left drove over to the store to see what was going on because I have never sold any honey except at my house.

On a display rack near the cash register was a sign saying LOCAL HONEY and a dozen of my jars of honey, still with my card attached, and a dozen more pint jars without my card. I asked the lady at the counter if this was all local honey and she said "yes." The price was $13 per pint jar. About that time the Iranian guy walks in from the back and says, "your honey is a good seller, I've already sold 8 jars!"

I said, "but you only bought 16 jars, where did these other jars of honey come from?" He smiled and said, "I'm a good business man! I mix your honey, half a jar, with half a jar of Golden Eagle syrup and people love it."

I asked, "so these jars with my cards are half Golden Eagle syrup?" "Yes!" with a big smile he said. I told him I wanted my cards back because that wasn't 100% honey anymore. He didn't like it but I cut the ribbon I tie the cards on the jars with, collected my cards and left.

Golden Eagle syrup at that time was just under $3 a pint.
It was probably out-of-date Golden Eagle to boot...

Back
Top Bottom