| FTBL '08 SEC coaching changes?

bamascw said:
What do yall think about Les Miles going to Michigan? Also, I agree that Nutt is getting close to being introduced to the back door at Arkansas. I would hate to see State fire Croom though, he is so hamstrung there...no way anyone will turn them around in 3 years.
I would hate to see MSU fire Croom myself. Much the same way that AU hated to see Shula go. Croom is not accomplishing anything. That team he has is in worse shape than when he got there.
I thank the coaching carousel gods that we got Shula instead of Croom. He's just not head coach material. He's did great as an assistant in the NFL, and he was bound to be happier.

bamafan850 said:
Question, why would a coach leave a top SEC team to coach at Michigan?

If Les is from there and that is where is heart is, then it pretty much doesn't matter.

Although Bryant was a Bama grad and he used the phrase "Momma Called", according to the book Turnaround, he almost stayed at aTm. He had been there 3 or 4 years at that point and was rolling along pretty well. Everything was in place and he was winning. Why go and do yet another rebuild job with a school of equal size, fan base, etc.....

While your heart might emotionally attach you to a particular school, it is still a business and he has to feed his family. Personally I think Les is 1 losing season away from getting canned. And while I have been really surprised at the momentum he has maintained in recruiting question still remains if he can keep up with 10 win seasons year in and year out.

Another perspective on leaving is if he feels the heat at LSU....He can head to his first love (Michigan) and get a 2-4 year break in the sense of "building" the program his way. While Michigan has no problem getting athletes he would still have to recruit players to his system.

Does this make sense or does it sound like just a bunch of rambling...As I typed I felt like a preacher that never made a point in his sermon. :D

WRT to Shula, I honestly think that he would have survived last year had it not been for the melt down against Mississippi State. Had he been willing to make some staff changes he might well have survived anyway.

rammerjammer said:
bamafan850 said:
Question, why would a coach leave a top SEC team to coach at Michigan?

If Les is from there and that is where is heart is, then it pretty much doesn't matter.

Although Bryant was a Bama grad and he used the phrase "Momma Called", according to the book Turnaround, he almost stayed at aTm. He had been there 3 or 4 years at that point and was rolling along pretty well. Everything was in place and he was winning. Why go and do yet another rebuild job with a school of equal size, fan base, etc.....

While your heart might emotionally attach you to a particular school, it is still a business and he has to feed his family. Personally I think Les is 1 losing season away from getting canned. And while I have been really surprised at the momentum he has maintained in recruiting question still remains if he can keep up with 10 win seasons year in and year out.

Another perspective on leaving is if he feels the heat at LSU....He can head to his first love (Michigan) and get a 2-4 year break in the sense of "building" the program his way. While Michigan has no problem getting athletes he would still have to recruit players to his system.

Does this make sense or does it sound like just a bunch of rambling...As I typed I felt like a preacher that never made a point in his sermon. :D

This does make sense. However, I do not see CNS leaving Bama for LSU. He seems to be the most hated man on their campus. It would be kind of like Fran coming back to Bama.

psychojoe said:
WRT to Shula, I honestly think that he would have survived last year had it not been for the melt down against Mississippi State. Had he been willing to make some staff changes he might well have survived anyway.

While that is a lot of fans perception, it is far from the truth. He lost the support of the Administration long before MSU. That being said, you saw the writers who cover Alabama come out and say he needs to be gone after the MSU game.

Back
Top Bottom