| FTBL You know, the defense is taking some heat..

I

imported_porkchop

... but I have to say that I personally am happy with the way our kids played tonight on defense. Yeah we have issues like a suspect secondary (and that hurt us tonight) and a minimal pass rush, but the kids played pretty well overall I thought. Not that FSU is a great rushing team, but give the defense credit for really going in and shutting that down for much of the night.

You have to remember that one of the TD's was a bust by the secondary late when our DB couldn't tackle the receiver. Things like that are technique and correctable. The overall talent level isn't but the overall talent level kept us in the game. It was an individual play by a DB taking the wrong approach that really cost us in the end. Make no mistake though....he was there. He provided the coverage. He just couldn't make the tackle. I mean, that is not nearly as concerning to me as our secondary just letting receivers run wild. While we're suspect and have been beaten deep at times this year it's not because of a lack of effort. It's really not even because the opposing receivers are wide open much of the time. It's just a disparity in talent.

I can live with that. If our kids are going out and playing their hearts out and are just overmatched then so be it. Atleast they have an idea of where they need to be on given coverages and it's not like teams are putting up 40 points and 400 yards passing on us week in, week out.

I was pretty happy with the way we played, save some techniqual things that can be corrected. The defense didn't lose the game tonight.

FWIW, I picked the score to be around 27-17. FSU has enough raw talent to score some points so for us to give up 21 is not concerning to me at all. We've got to start playing some offense again though.

I didn't have any problem with the D today. The fact that the O could do virtually nothing for 3 quarters insured that the D would eventually wear down and give up some points.

I still haven't been able to get my thoughts together about our offense today...particularly the QB play.

Did anyone else notice that our special teams seemed to regress today too?

Yeah. We looked horrible on special teams today. Bad punting, muffed return chances, poor judgements in the return game. We did not look good in that department today at all.

Tideboy said:
I didn't have any problem with the D today. The fact that the O could do virtually nothing for 3 quarters insured that the D would eventually wear down and give up some points.

I still haven't been able to get my thoughts together about our offense today...particularly the QB play.

To me the only place I am seeing progress is on the defense, it looks like everything else is regressing.

Our defense have kept us in the last two games. People that complain about our defense haven't played in a game where the offense has multiple 3 and outs in a row. It is impossible to play with intensity and a "spark" when you are only getting 3 plays off the field at a time.

Our defense gave up one big play tonight in man coverage. I believe #24 is a sophomore. He'll be ok. We are way ahead on defense than I thought we would be at this point.

When our offense starts to click this season and the defense actually gets some rest, we are going to be swarming late in the game!!

Roll Tide!!

Tideboy said:

Punt return was invisible today. Arenas looked like he had trouble finding the handle all afternoon.

Punting team was very inconsistent. It could have been the wind that played with the kicks. FSU's punting didn't seem to fare much better kicking the ball.

tidenumber1 said:
Tideboy said:

To me the only place I am seeing progress is on the defense, it looks like everything else is regressing.
Amen! Amen! Amen!

I was proud of our defense today. They played pretty good for most of the game, and I only consider them responsible for allowing 14 points. We practically gift-wrapped a touchdown for FSU by fumbling at the five.

Anyone who is down on the D hasn't been watching the O. You can't leave your D in 3/4 of the game and expect to win when the O is punting every series. Our D is doing just fine and keeping us in the games. We just need the O to wake up.

I was very proud of the defense today. I was telling my dad that it was odd in the beginning of the season we all thought our offense was the strong point and our defense is what would be the weakest link. But, now, the offense is regressing with every game and our defense in getting better with every game. I've supported JP all along and have given him benefit of the doubt. But, I'm done with that now. It's like he has just completely forgotten how to play the game. I just don't get it. With last week's loss, I still saw the silver lining. But, after today's loss, I see nothing (with the offense). Nothing... Our defense is improving and our offense is regressing. That's about it...

Agree with you all the way, Chop. I think that defense is progressing at an amazing pace considering how thin and inexperienced they are. They give their all on every down. Like you said, the blown plays that happen you can see are a result of things that can be corrected with a little coaching and experience.

On this note, I liked having Motley in the mix. I think that, when he gets back to full speed, he's going to give us a lot more push at the line.

Back
Top Bottom