WWII in HD

Tider27

Verified Member
Has anyone seen the special week long event that's been showing on the History Channel? I'm watching it for the second night and it's been amazing. It's shown at 8pm central every night and it's two hours long, very interesting stuff if you're interested in WWII. They're showing a lot of images and video that have never before been seen on television or to the public before. Revised in HD and in full color...pretty impressive stuff. Tons of great stories from real war veterans. Have to warn all of you that it is extremely graphic of course, but just thought I'd pass this along.

Last edited:
Extremely graphic and extremely moving. It is amazing what those men did, that burden they had to carry. What do you say to someone like that? To someone who has witnessed those things, did things they never imagined doing before. They were a different breed, that's for sure.

I certainly couldn't find the mental capability to do what they did. What they've seen and been through is simply something unexplainable, even after seeing it through combat reporter's eyes. It truly makes your heart swell with patriotism, that's for sure.

I caught about a half hour's worth last night. Incredible footage and remarkable stories of courage. I'm hoping it shows up on the On Demand menu so I can watch it a more convenient time.

The only information I've got is that a future DVD set will be released, saw that on a blog the other night. Also heard it had one of the highest ratings in the History Channel's history. Not too sure how credible that is but either way it was a amazingly educational WWII doc. A lot of things my father hadn't even heard and I consider him a book of knowledge on the war.

I watched most of it Wednesday night (I think) the night they did Iwo Jima and the allies letting the French go into Paris first. Some great stuff. Makes you realize just what these guys did. There was a lot more to Iwo Jima than that statue with the guys hoisting the flag.

Extremely graphic and extremely moving. It is amazing what those men did, that burden they had to carry. What do you say to someone like that? To someone who has witnessed those things, did things they never imagined doing before. They were a different breed, that's for sure.

Their efforts are legendary, but one of the episodes this week had a brief section of the superiors lamenting that the youngsters didn't have what it took to get the job done. They were proved wrong (spectacularly), but many of the exploits of our current military rival their WWII counterparts. History will judge the taking of Fallujah on a similar scale with the familiar battles of WWII. God bless them all.

RTR,

Tim

I have them all on the DVR, and plan on watching them on Thanksgiving.

On a similar note, I'm looking forward to the HBO mini series, "The Pacific." If it is anything like Band of Brothers (and it apparently is) in terms of quality and realism, it should be some good viewing.

Eugene Sledge (author of "With the Old Breed") was from Mobile and was my biology professor at Montevallo.

Back
Top Bottom