| FTBL Wrong, but I think it's funny

c5vetman

That Michigan is having such a hard time, publicly no less, finding a coach. First the one name that EVERYONE thinks is a lock, Les, turns them down, and now Schiano.

SO much for "no one wanting to coach at Alabama", now it seems that no one wants to coach at UM.

I don't see it sensationalized as much as Bamas situation was.
I don't see the media blasting them nearly as much.
Of course I expected this from the media.

Someone needs to tell their delusional fan base that it is over. The Michigan job is not what it was 20 years ago. No body wants to go there and live in the Bo's shadow.

Thats what ESPN and others were saying about us last year. Is anyone saying that about Michigan? Did they learn their lesson after they dogged us out and then we turned out hiring CNS?

I think Michigan and Arkansas both need to look for someone from the assistant coaches ranks. There are only a few big names out there and I don't think they will be leaving any time soon.

rammajamma said:
Someone needs to tell their delusional fan base that it is over. The Michigan job is not what it was 20 years ago. No body wants to go there and live in the Bo's shadow.

uuuh no job is what it was 20 years ago. the best jobs are at places with modest expectations because even the "small" programs are now paying their coaches millions. that's why you see coaches rejecting the traditional powers in favor of remaining at places like Rutgers, Wake Forest, West Va, South Florida, Louiville, etc.

think about it - if you are a talented coach, why move to a pressure cooker at a salary of 3-4 million dollars and little job security when you can stay put with little to moderate pressure, make 1-2 million, sleep well at night, enjoy your family, and perhaps make a name for yourself by achieving something that has never before been achieved at your school?

simply put, when the smaller programs began to put dollars behind their programs, that's when the coaches began to look differently at job openings at the traditional powers.

oh and one more thing i meant to add: in addition to the increased coaching salaries and overall financial commitment to football programs by smaller schools, you can't overlook the role that the spread offense has played in the difficulty of traditional powers finding coaching replacements.

the spread offense has allowed teams with poorer talent to compete with superior teams. so while the spread has been the equalizer between the have's and have-not's on the field of play, it has also helped keep the traditional powers from attracting the best coaches in america.

I know that the media hasn't jumped all over it, mostly because this is their first coaching search in what? 12 years? Whereas we were on our 5th in about 10 years. But, I just think that it's funny that even though they haven't had to look for a lot of coaches, and that there is, obviously, some job security there since Michigan has stunk for the last several years, they STILL can't find some one that thinks this is the greatest job ever. Not even ole' Miles turned them down, and he was supposedly salivating over the opening.

c5vetman said:
...there is, obviously, some job security there since Michigan has stunk for the last several years,

over the last decade consider Michigan's stats:

- averaged 10 wins per season
- finished 1st or 2nd in the BigTen 8 times
- 1 national title

c5vetman said:
I just think that it's funny that ... they STILL can't find some one that thinks this is the greatest job ever.

why is it funny? have you not learned from Bama's experiences that jobs at traditional powers are no longer generally perceived as the best jobs by those in the profession? let's face it, jobs at traditional powers will usually only attract coaches with a hell of a lot of self-confidence and dare i say arrogance.

There was (another) rumor going around down here in de swamps that Miles' buyout was something like $10 million. Looks like it's only $1.25 mil, though.

Back
Top Bottom