| MBB/WBB Women's team 1-6 in SEC play now

Should be Curry's last year, despite making it to round 32 last season. Barring a miracle, Byrne will have a tough decision to make.

Honestly, I think an argument can be made that this is the toughest job to be successful on UA's campus. Hardly any fan support, bad home venue, and not an attractive recruiting destination.

Should be Curry's last year, despite making it to round 32 last season. Barring a miracle, Byrne will have a tough decision to make.

Honestly, I think an argument can be made that this is the toughest job to be successful on UA's campus. Hardly any fan support, bad home venue, and not an attractive recruiting destination.

Curry can’t recruit and certainly can’t make in game adjustments. She’s had plenty of time to at least build a competitive program. As for the fan base, if they were winning some SEC games and being competitive there would be more fans in the stands. Also if Dawn Staley or Kim Mulkey were coaching the fans would be there. As for recruiting destination, seems like football, men’s basketball, softball, gymnastics, golf, and etc are “OK” destinations. As for a coaching change, there may be one current successful SEC head coach that would probably, at least, talk with AD Bryce. Former Alabama player and current Georgia head coach, Joni Taylor.

As for recruiting destination, seems like football, men’s basketball, softball, gymnastics, golf, and etc are “OK” destinations.
These programs are better than 'OK' recruiting destinations because of tradition, better fan support, and recent success. Other than top notch practice facilities, what is the selling point for the women's program? Comparing it to the men's program is apples to oranges to me.

Byrne has a tough decision because luring the right coach to turn the program around is more difficult.

You bring up a good name though in Joni Taylor though. Hopefully boosters can give Byrne enough support to hire her. It might be tough though considering how long she's been at UGA.

I don't think our women's program should be as bad as its been.

These programs are better than 'OK' recruiting destinations because of tradition, better fan support, and recent success. Other than top notch practice facilities, what is the selling point for the women's program? Comparing it to the men's program is apples to oranges to me.

Byrne has a tough decision because luring the right coach to turn the program around is more difficult.

You bring up a good name though in Joni Taylor though. Hopefully boosters can give Byrne enough support to hire her. It might be tough though considering how long she's been at UGA.

I don't think our women's program should be as bad as its been.

If you look at some of the current programs I mentioned......football. fan support was really down during the Shula years. CNS brought it back. Basketball fan support was down during CAG and CAJ years. CNO is bringing some back. Softball has really grown under CPM. Gymnastics had great fan support under CSP and continues under CDD. If you pay top women's basketball coaches top money they will come to Tuscaloosa and they will be able to recruit better players and win. If you look around the SEC.....Staley at SC...2.9 million.....Mulkey at LSU 2.5 million...Harper at Tennessee 800,000, Taylor at Georgia 850,000. Neighbors at Arkansas 600,000. Harris at Auburn , first year, 570,000. Curry at Bama 275,000. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out if the AD is interested in having a good women's basketball program that the coaches are not out there. The question is, Does the AD want a competitive program or just let it ride as is?

If you look at some of the current programs I mentioned......football. fan support was really down during the Shula years. CNS brought it back. Basketball fan support was down during CAG and CAJ years. CNO is bringing some back. Softball has really grown under CPM. Gymnastics had great fan support under CSP and continues under CDD. If you pay top women's basketball coaches top money they will come to Tuscaloosa and they will be able to recruit better players and win. If you look around the SEC.....Staley at SC...2.9 million.....Mulkey at LSU 2.5 million...Harper at Tennessee 800,000, Taylor at Georgia 850,000. Neighbors at Arkansas 600,000. Harris at Auburn , first year, 570,000. Curry at Bama 275,000. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out if the AD is interested in having a good women's basketball program that the coaches are not out there. The question is, Does the AD want a competitive program or just let it ride as is?
Fan attendance and interest actually increased every year under Grant until it was obvious in 2014 that nothing was going to change. That's when it declined. Grant's second year and third years provided some of the best atmospheres in Coleman Coliseum since Wimp. Avery actually had great attendance every year he was the HC. We averaged 13k, 11k, 11k, and 13k during his entire tenure here. Despite a false narrative that we are a "football school", our fan support for our men's basketball program is actually one of the bright spots for the program, despite having the most outdated and worst home venues in the conference. Its a strong selling point to why we desperately need a new arena because support has been there.

But you make a solid point that we'll start taking women's basketball more seriously when we see the investment. LSU went out and hired Mulkey and their program is reaping the benefits already. But I wonder if Byrne is even capable of making a splash hire if he doesn't have support from the administration and boosters. He was given the green light to do this after renegotiating Avery's buyout (which was a ludicrous contract thanks to Battle) and go out and get his man. All other selling points aside, the right coach won't first come here unless we're willing to fork over solid $. I think we can do better than Curry, but it will have be better than under 300k.

I think WBB should go back to playing most all of their games in Foster... it's a better setting for that product and a really underrated venue (granted the history adds to it). No reason though that Bama can't have a top 5 SEC program though with the right coach running things.

But really........
Been to a few games....couple...maybe one...

Lot of sports dont do much if anything for me...(soccer...volleyball...etc)

Of course..not a big bball fan at all...anyway

But...do love softball n football...bout it

Beat Auburn last night to complete the sweep over them. That's three straight three-season sweeps vs them.

I think the new arena will do this program a lot of good.
This was a good win but this also should be CKC's last year. She can barely compete with average and below average teams. Bama's women's basketball should be competing for championships right along with SC, LSU, and etc. Time for the AD to get serious about the program. find a top tier coach, and pay top dollars.

Back
Top Bottom