| MBB/WBB Alabama 82, Vanderbilt 78. Tide improves to 18-5, 13-1 in the SEC.

Once again low basketball IQ.
Maybe that is it. Play fast but that does not mean to not play smart. It is like they have been programmed to go full throttle at all times when at other times it is best to take care of the dang ball. You are up 7 points so you push it AND turn the ball over. Jones also has to play smarter when he is playing with foul trouble. When it is all said and done the Defense and the free throw shooting is the real identity of this team. The difference today.

Good to see Bruner back and was shocked how much he got/had to play. With that said this team will not go deep in the tournament playing this way in my opinion. To up and down. Same can be said about the SEC tournament. Would love to be wrong but doubt it.

In a long season you have games like this hard to get up for one of the worst teams in the conference our shots did not fall and they shot well.
This team needs to play smarter don't foul jump shooters late in the game with a lead the clock is your friend and cut down on the dumb fouls.
As far as the dance we will go as far as our defense and shooting take us. As for today a win is a win.

Roughly 35 minutes before tipoff Saturday, Reese came to his head coach with an idea. Despite playing an integral role for the Tide over his four-year career, the senior asked to start Senior Day on the bench in favor of Barnes.

Originally, Oats hadn’t thought about starting the senior walk-on. Although after some consideration, the head coach decided to start both players, handing Barnes the first start of his college career in front of his family inside of Coleman Coliseum.

“Tyler, I could tell by his face when I told him he was going to start, he was super excited,” Oats said. “He’s a great kid. I know he doesn’t get to play much, but you see him on the side.”

Alabama started in a zone defense with Barnes on the court. While the Louisville, Ken. native missed his only shot of the game, he recorded a rebound before checking out of the game with 17:07 remaining in the half.

I have apparently gotten confused and off schedule

I thought wins on weekdays were when we looked for reasons UA won’t go deep in the tourney and wins on the weekend we’re when we expressed optimism that they would make a deep run

this weather and the batflu have apparently made me as doddie as Smiling Joe

How many minutes were we into the game yesterday when they went with "Stackhouse is the best dressed coach...?" I KNOW it was within the first five minutes of the game. As soon as I heard it start, 'mute.'

Couple of thoughts...

-The early Saturday games still seem to be an issue for this team. Hopefully they get afternoon/evening draws in the tournament.

-I've watched a handful of Vandy games this year. At times, they show flashes on offense. On defense, not real strong. But they have really underachieved this year, especially with a combo like Pippen Jr. and Disu. No real excuse for them to not have a couple more SEC wins in the league this year.

-Herb Jones brings so much to this team, but when he's on the bench in foul trouble (or fouled out), it hurts. It seems like he gets called for a couple of really picky fouls each game, but lately he's also had a few that he made out of frustration. Hopefully, those stop.

-The shooting from 3 gave me flashbacks to "Maui" Invitational. Though I will say, a lot of the misses were open looks...

-Quinerly will drive me nuts with some of his passing and ball handling, but he seems to step up and hit big 3's when Bama really needs them.

-Reese was +23 yesterday, easily the highest on the team. Also, really cool of him to offer to give up his starting spot to Tyler Barnes for Sr. Day. Then they both start, and Reese drills a 3 to open it up. Would have been awesome if Barnes had hit his too.

-Nice to see Brunner back out there. He's obviously not 100% yet, but will hopefully get there soon. Getting the rust knocked off heading into March will be big.

-Hoping Primo's back issue is something that doesn't linger much longer.

-Magic scoreboard number this season has been 80. When UA score at least 80, they're 15-0. When they fail to get 80. they're 3-5.

2 of the worst things I’ve seen lately...

These John Thompson towels that coaches are wearing every game are a tad ridiculous.

Watched most of the Duke/UVA game last night. In the 2nf half, a ref was explaining a reviewed call to Coach K and got too close I guess? Jay Bilas who was on the broadcast call, says... “looks like that violates the 6 feet protocol there, not sure that’s necessary...” He wasn't being sarcastic.

Hopefully they get afternoon/evening draws in the tournament.
12 PM ~ as of today it would be the winner of UK - MSU.
Watched most of the Duke/UVA game last night. In the 2nf half, a ref was explaining a reviewed call to Coach K and got too close I guess? Jay Bilas who was on the broadcast call, says... “looks like that violates the 6 feet protocol there, not sure that’s necessary...” He wasn't being sarcastic.
Oh, that's rich. Funny.

OSU vs UM this afternoon at lunch. It'll give some Bama fans perspective on B1G basketball if they take the time to watch.

*If UK can get on a bit of a run Bama wouldn't see them as their first game: they'd collide Saturday. A lot are saying "watch out for UK, they're coming together at the right time." I'm not convinced.

Couple of thoughts...

-The early Saturday games still seem to be an issue for this team. Hopefully they get afternoon/evening draws in the tournament.

-I've watched a handful of Vandy games this year. At times, they show flashes on offense. On defense, not real strong. But they have really underachieved this year, especially with a combo like Pippen Jr. and Disu. No real excuse for them to not have a couple more SEC wins in the league this year.

-Herb Jones brings so much to this team, but when he's on the bench in foul trouble (or fouled out), it hurts. It seems like he gets called for a couple of really picky fouls each game, but lately he's also had a few that he made out of frustration. Hopefully, those stop.

-The shooting from 3 gave me flashbacks to "Maui" Invitational. Though I will say, a lot of the misses were open looks...

-Quinerly will drive me nuts with some of his passing and ball handling, but he seems to step up and hit big 3's when Bama really needs them.

-Reese was +23 yesterday, easily the highest on the team. Also, really cool of him to offer to give up his starting spot to Tyler Barnes for Sr. Day. Then they both start, and Reese drills a 3 to open it up. Would have been awesome if Barnes had hit his too.

-Nice to see Brunner back out there. He's obviously not 100% yet, but will hopefully get there soon. Getting the rust knocked off heading into March will be big.

-Hoping Primo's back issue is something that doesn't linger much longer.

-Magic scoreboard number this season has been 80. When UA score at least 80, they're 15-0. When they fail to get 80. they're 3-5.

2 of the worst things I’ve seen lately...

These John Thompson towels that coaches are wearing every game are a tad ridiculous.

So what is up with the towel? I saw that but could not tell. Is it part of BLM or something else?

Kind of sad that Bruner will only get one year at Bama. We do need him but it is going to take some time for him to get back into playing shape. Reese has been a pleasant surprise but more so from showing leadership through his unselfishness.

The scorers like Petty just mysteriously disappear. Been doing this for at least the last 6 or 7 games so it is no fluke at this point in my view. Now if there were to get dialed in going into the tournament Bama would be a handful for anyone. They could jus as easily go in and struggle. Fortunately they have found a way to win even during the struggle games.

Would be nice to truly get fully healthy and see if we can find the lights out magic the team was hitting with early on in SEC play. Will need it at Arky and in the SEC tournament and for sure in the NCAA tournament.

12 PM ~ as of today it would be the winner of UK - MSU.

Oh, that's rich. Funny.

OSU vs UM this afternoon at lunch. It'll give some Bama fans perspective on B1G basketball if they take the time to watch.

*If UK can get on a bit of a run Bama wouldn't see them as their first game: they'd collide Saturday. A lot are saying "watch out for UK, they're coming together at the right time." I'm not convinced.

Thus Kentucky team reminds me of the last few Alabama teams. A team that can beat you any day of the week, but one that turnovers puts on the wrong side, even though very close in most games.

Watched. Both looked like a handful. Good players down low with good ball handlers that can shoot. Biggest difference was on D. Bama should get open shots but can they make them?

Not sure what I was supposed to see in your eyes.

Back
Top Bottom