Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mark Richt

• Nick Saban

• Steve Spurrier

• Total voters
I wouldn't trade Saban for any of them, but I'd say Spurrier, Richt, and Meyer are all top shelf. Richt still probably needs an NC ring on his finger before he can truly be mentioned with the others, but I'd take him over Fulmer who does have a ring.

Porterhouse said:
I wouldn't trade Saban for any of them, but I'd say Spurrier, Richt, and Meyer are all top shelf. Richt still probably needs an NC ring on his finger before he can truly be mentioned with the others, but I'd take him over Fulmer who does have a ring.

Richt is a very class act guy i have a lot of respect for him. He is gonna have to win something soon though
Sec east at least or he may be gone...

I voted Urban Meyer. If I had to give up Coach Saban, it would have to be him. Mainly because I think we can get a lot more years out of him, rather than SS.

callahan said:
Porterhouse said:

Richt is a very class act guy i have a lot of respect for him. He is gonna have to win something soon though
Sec east at least or he may be gone...

Yeah considering he won the SEC 2 years ago. :?

yea, I'd hardly say that Richt is on the hot-seat...I voted Spurrier, although I honestly would rather have Saban simply for his defensive knowledge

LOL someone must have been joking when they voted for Nutt

Totally unbiased - tie between Saban and Spurrier. Every time I go to vote for one, I'm reminded of certain qualities of the other. Take Spurrier's offensive mind and combine it with Saban's defensive mind, and that's the coach for me. 8)

Tubby is a good head coach, in that he can assemble one hell of a coaching staff, and he is able to make the gutsy calls at the right time and win ball games. But he doesn't do that much coaching on the practice field, which is why I have him tied for 3rd on my list with Urban Meyer. Its Spurrier, Saban, Tubby/Meyer,Richt, and the rest really don't matter.

I totally agree with Delta, but I remember when the coaching search began I wanted Spurrier first, then Saben 2nd choice. Spurrier has just proven himself longer. Hopefully, after a few years Saben will change my mind.

Saban vs. Spurrier is a tough call... very tough.

-Spurrier is an offensive genius, but relies heavily on others for a strong defense.

-Saban is a great defensive mind, maybe not on the genius level though, yet also knows a little about offense.

-In their prime, both are top notch recruiters, but Spurrier doesn't recruit with the same tenacity that he did at Florida. Saban is still a bloodhound. Both have a great eye for talent though, and both know how to develop it.

-As far as game day coaching and strategy, I'd say both are about even in that department, but it is hard to compare since both specialize on opposite sides of the ball.

Overall, it is pretty much a toss-up. If both were in the prime of their careers, it would be hard not to pick Spurrier... but if you are asking me to pick one today, I'd take Saban without much thought. There are some here that testify to the fact that Saban was my #1 choice when Shula got canned. Of course, I would have been plenty happy with the Old Ball Coach too.

I actually believe that we have the best coach in the conference with Nick Saban. But I have to admit that I almost......almost voted Bobby Johnson and here's why..

Saban is a great college coach. We all know that based on his track record. We all know that Spurrier is a great coach. I don't even need to elaborate on that. If BAMA hired either one of these guys Id'd be content as a puppy with 2 peeders.

Now I voted Saban but I almost voted Bobby Johnson. I have a lot of respect for the guy and what he's been able to do at Vandy. That's a tough tough situation to be in. He's turned them around somewhat and has Vandy thinking they can win games in the SEC. That mindset can be dangerous to teams like Florida and BAMA. Say what you want about Jay Cutler, but one player (even a great QB) doesn't make a team or a season. Johnson has done a phenominal job there in a short period of time.

In 2005 Vandy beat Tennessee and Arkansas. They lost, but actually beat Forida due to some shady offiating. Lost to Spurrier by 7 points and UK by 5.

In 2006 while breaking in a new QB Vandy finished 4-8 (only 1 game back from their 2005 record) but beat UGA. Vandy lost by 3 to BAMA, by 2 to ARK, 7 to Ole Miss and 6 to Florida.

Saban might be in one of the best sitautions as far as the really good coaches go, but IMHO Bobby Johnson might be doing the best job in the league at Vandy right now on game days.

I voted Darth Visor..... I too remember the scuttle-butt of Spurrier coming to Bama and I was about ready to piss myself. Main reason being is the fact that he and Bill Oliver are great friends and no doubt (in my mind) that CBO would have graced our sidelines again as a DC. What a dynamic duo that could have been.

Hindsight being what it is I'm glad we have Saban and here is why. Saban is younger and has the potential to stay longer (I'm not saying he will). Having said that. Spurrier can recruit a lot of talent, but it seems to be specific to his type offense. Remember how quick Zook took Florida to mediocrity? Granted Zook was not even a good coach, he was just considered a great recruiter. ( Urban Meyer can attest to that) I think that Spurrier probably will only coach 6-8 more years. After that, then what? SC will probably fall quite a few notches back down in the food chain. We all know how full the cupboard was when Saban left LSU. Miles is still riding that gravy train w/biscuit wheels. I will say that Miles has absolutely blown me away with how well he has recruited.....having said that I feel as though Miles walked into the same situation that Barry Switzer did for Dallas back in the mid 90's. If you can coach just a little bit your gonna win simply because you have better people at evey position against every team you face.

In summary I hope we keep Saban 10 years, but I know that in reality that may not be the case. However if he leaves in 5 years, we will still get at least 2-4 years of good football after he leaves because of the talent and type of athlete he will have in place. I feel at the minimum we will get good football for the same amount of years, unless Saban loves us as much as we love him. Then hopefully he can retire from here in about 10 years and leave us with several SEC and a few more MNC's on the mantle.

My vote is for Saban and that is based off of what he has done on in the SEC and the recruiting he is doing this year when Bama was a stalled program. His name has gotten the program rolling along nicely. My very close second choice would be Spurrier.

Struggled for a few seconds, but had to go with Saban. Of course, I've felt that way since the LSU days. It's still almost too close to call, but I just like his overall philosophy better.

Back
Top Bottom