Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mark Richt

• Nick Saban

• Steve Spurrier

• Total voters
Bobby Johnson? Yeah that 15-43 record over the past five seasons is stellar -- especially when you consider that he had Jay Cutler -- a top 15 NFL draft pick -- on that squad.

I read today that Woody Widenhofer's record during his five year's at Vandy was 15-40. How is it that Johnson is still considered this great coach? His record is actually WORSE than Woody's.

Johnson's record against the SEC? 6-40. Wonder what Vandy would do in the all-powerful Big East?

How about his bowl record with Vandy? Oh, that's right, he hasn't taken Vandy to a bowl.

C'mon, Johnson is a nice guy coaching a squad with a loser mentality.

reger60 said:
Bobby Johnson? Yeah that 15-43 record over the past five seasons is stellar -- especially when you consider that he had Jay Cutler -- a top 15 NFL draft pick -- on that squad.

I read today that Woody Widenhofer's record during his five year's at Vandy was 15-40. How is it that Johnson is still considered this great coach? His record is actually WORSE than Woody's.

Johnson's record against the SEC? 6-40. Wonder what Vandy would do in the all-powerful Big East?

How about his bowl record with Vandy? Oh, that's right, he hasn't taken Vandy to a bowl.

Ouch.

Porterhouse said:
reger60 said:

Ouch.
Vandy has had a ruff run they was one of the teams that founded the SEC in the 30's have never won a sec championship and haven't had a winning season since 1982? I feel bad for them.

reger60 said:

Ouch is right.

All I'm saying is that for what he has to work with there and the situation he's in, you have to give the guy credit for the job he's done. Yeah the record isn't great but we're talking about Vandy here, not MSU or UK or Ole Miss. As bad as those teams are they don't appear to be handicapped by the same standards as Vanderbilt is.

Vandy just doesn't have the players other schools have but Johnson has done a nice job with what he's had to work with the last couple of years. They've lost a ton of close games and won a couple of big ones (for them). Yeah, I know they beat UT when UT was 5-6 but it's still UT and Vandy is .....well....Vandy.

As far as him having Cutler goes, that's nothing to me. Lots of teams have one great player and still lose a lot of games. All Vandy had was Cutler. One guy can't carry a team for any extended period. He can occasionally pull the rabbit out of the hat and get the team a big win but even then there are a lot of factors (like luck) involved. But on the other side of the coin Johnson was forced to go with Chris Nixson at QB last year and that kid couldn't start for any other team in the conference so...

As far as ranking the coaches goes, I wouldn't take him over Saban or Spurrier, but I do think that given a job like BAMA he would do very very well. I think he's done a good job at Vandy, but that's just me.

reger60 said:

I take a lot of things besides wins and losses into account when I determine who is the best coach. Johnson has had much much MUCH less to work with than anyone else on the list. This doesn't include just talent, although it's obvious that he has less to work with there than others as well.

I liked a quote by an NFL DB which said "If this guy can take a bunch of future doctors and lawyers and had them competing against the Florida Gators, this guy is a stud."

Now, that's obviously referring to Cutler. What's that say about the coach who takes those lawyers and doctors and has them competing against the BEST of the BEST in college football?

Not to mention that had Vandy not gotten ripped that game, they would have actually defeated the Gators.

Again, you can only look at wins and losses, which a lot of people do; but I look at a lot of other things. Just a difference of opinion, nothing to get too upset about.

Now, if we're just talking about success/wins/etc, then I would say that the best college coach is S squared.

Outlaw said:
reger60 said:

I take a lot of things besides wins and losses into account when I determine who is the best coach. Johnson has had much much MUCH less to work with than anyone else on the list. This doesn't include just talent, although it's obvious that he has less to work with there than others as well.

I liked a quote by an NFL DB which said "If this guy can take a bunch of future doctors and lawyers and had them competing against the Florida Gators, this guy is a stud."

Now, that's obviously referring to Cutler. What's that say about the coach who takes those lawyers and doctors and has them competing against the BEST of the BEST in college football?

Not to mention that had Vandy not gotten ripped that game, they would have actually defeated the Gators.

Again, you can only look at wins and losses, which a lot of people do; but I look at a lot of other things. Just a difference of opinion, nothing to get too upset about.

Now, if we're just talking about success/wins/etc, then I would say that the best college coach is S squared.

Maybe Vandy can get "Moral Victory National Championship" rings made for the boys. :roll:

I'm sorry if you're upset over my choice. It's just that as a future coach who has coached teams before, I understand that sometimes coaches' get judged solely on their records and everybody is hard up over wins and losses, which I particularly do not think is fair at all. You have to look at more than the amount of talent a coach has. Call it moral victories, call it whatever you want, I call it looking beyond the record box. You might think that's ludicrous, and I understand that many people do, and for that matter I was prepared to defend my choice because I knew how a lot of people view the success of a coach. That's just not my perspective.

A lot of people have thought that this means I am not competitive and that I don't have a desire to win. My only response to that is line up against me in any competitive sport or coach against me and you'll soon realize that is not the case at all.

Back
Top Bottom