| FTBL With DJ, Caddell and KB leaving

G

will we see the ball spread around more next year or will there be a go-to guy that steps up?

I assume a lot of this will depend on whether we get Julio or not.

At the beginning of the year Earl Alexander had several catches as did Mike McCoy. McCoy contributed a few more completions throughout the season, but Alexander pretty much disappeared in WR play.

I like Alexander's height and think he could be a weapon. We know Nikita Stover has potential, so will he be "the one"? If JPW is our QB he usually has a favorite. Just wondering who that might be.

Out of these players...

McCoy
Stover
Oakley
Alexander
Maze
Gibson and
Hanks...

I think people (rivals) will be asking "who the hell is Hanks" early on in the season. Maze isn't too far behind that as well.

JMO...

TerryP said:
Out of these players...

McCoy
Stover
Oakley
Alexander
Maze
Gibson and
Hanks...

I think people (rivals) will be asking "who the hell is Hanks" early on in the season. Maze isn't too far behind that as well.

JMO...

With that list of names and the ones coming in I think Oakley's days are behind him. I've heard such great things about Maze and Hanks yet don't know much myself. I remember when Maze signed with us it was a big deal.

Did Maze, Hanks and Gibson all redshirt?

Are all these guys listed under WR? With the recruits coming in the ball could get thrown around all game every game (which we know it won't) and there would still be guys not getting touches.

Terry, would any of these be TE material as well?

BamaDelta said:
TerryP said:
Out of these players...

McCoy
Stover
Oakley
Alexander
Maze
Gibson and
Hanks...

JMO...

With that list of names and the ones coming in I think Oakley's days are behind him. I've heard such great things about Maze and Hanks yet don't know much myself. I remember when Maze signed with us it was a big deal.

Did Maze, Hanks and Gibson all redshirt?

Are all these guys listed under WR? With the recruits coming in the ball could get thrown around all game every game (which we know it won't) and there would still be guys not getting touches.

Terry, would any of these be TE material as well?

Hanks played a little in the first of the season and the staff is probably going to apply for a hardship/medical redshirt for him. The other two, Gibson and Maze, both redshirted this season.

They all bring a bit of a different twist to their positions. Gibson is more of a strength type of wide out while Maze is more of your smaller, quick type guy as in some ways is Hanks. Saban uses the term "space players" in regard to these guys...get them in open field and let me make people miss.

All of these guys are considered receivers, but like I mentioned Saban's philosophy has more than one type of receivers.

None of these guys will see action at TE. It's '09 when we need to start thinking about that position...right now, we have McCall, Dial, Hoke, Walker and Underwood all returning next season.

TerryP said:
Hanks played a little in the first of the season and the staff is probably going to apply for a hardship/medical redshirt for him. The other two, Gibson and Maze, both redshirted this season.

They all bring a bit of a different twist to their positions. Gibson is more of a strength type of wide out while Maze is more of your smaller, quick type guy as in some ways is Hanks. Saban uses the term "space players" in regard to these guys...get them in open field and let me make people miss.

All of these guys are considered receivers, but like I mentioned Saban's philosophy has more than one type of receivers.

None of these guys will see action at TE. It's '09 when we need to start thinking about that position...right now, we have McCall, Dial, Hoke, Walker and Underwood all returning next season.

Thanks Terry. Duh, sorry about Hanks. My fault on that one. I knew about them applying for the medical redshirt/hardship as soon as you mentioned it. Too many players to keep up with sometimes.

Just seems we are stocked at WR, so I was wondering about TE. But we seem stocked there as well. You can see I'm not used to this situation. :)

I guess what remains to be seen in our WR corp is how productive they will actually be. We have lots of hype with little to no real time experience. I'm very excited about the names listed, but I tend to get that way. :wink:

I have to bring myself down to earth and remember it is all about what they prove on the field next year. It will all be useless jibber jabber until then.

TE is the reason I mentioned '09.

While McCall is *considered* the starter Walker gets just as much playing time. In fact, in our traditional Ace set, when we use both TE's...you get the picture.

McCall, Walker and Hoke will be seniors next season leaving Dial and Underwood for the '09 season as Juniors. We could use a TE commitment this year, but if we don't get one we will NEED a few of them next season. That is the reason following the Tyler Edwards recruitment is worth watching.

(I should note that Michael Williams, committed DE, can play on both sides of the ball and if we don't get Edwards there is a good chance he'll see some playing time at the TE position...right now, there is one upcoming Jr. in HS out of Gadsden that is getting some attention, Darrell Smith.)

TerryP said:
To add one thought..I wouldn't be surprised to see Lowe get a shot at the slot position as well...

Isn't Lowe is a senior though? Or did he get some kind of hardship or medical redshirt?

I hope Maze pans out. He looks to be a very exciting player. He reminds me of the same size and quickness of Holiday (LSU).

BamaDelta said:
Tider 27 said:
TerryP said:
To add one thought..I wouldn't be surprised to see Lowe get a shot at the slot position as well...

Isn't Lowe is a senior though? Or did he get some kind of hardship or medical redshirt?

Hmmm, rolltide.com does list him as a senior. I could have sworn he came in as a junior. ????

http://www.rolltide.com/SportSelect...011&DB_OEM_ID=8000&SORT_ORDER=2&Q_SEASON=2007

It does show him as a senior. This also came up another thread a while back, and the official site appears wrong. I believe he's a junior.

RTR,

Tim

It Takes Eleven said:
BamaDelta said:
Tider 27 said:
TerryP said:

Hmmm, rolltide.com does list him as a senior. I could have sworn he came in as a junior. ????

http://www.rolltide.com/SportSelect...011&DB_OEM_ID=8000&SORT_ORDER=2&Q_SEASON=2007

It does show him as a senior. This also came up another thread a while back, and the official site appears wrong. I believe he's a junior.

RTR,

Tim

He's got another year of eligibility left, that I'm sure of.

Back
Top Bottom