| FTBL With all this talk of the no-huddle offenses, I've decided who is to blame. It's the Mormon's. I'm

All this talk about the hurry up offense and taking second looks at certain rules and penalties, i also thought of one. I thought of what CNS said about defensive players being at risk of injury for not being set or ready when the ball is snapped. Now from what i THINK i know, the only time a flag can be thrown for hitting a defensless player is when a wr is the victim, in certain cases. Now, if an offensive lineman hurries to the line and gets set, and the defensive lineman is communicating with the sideline or the other D players on the field, and the ball is snapped and the O lineman lays him out, would that not be the same as hitting a defensless player? I think that was along the lines of the point CNS was trying to make......I THINK. Lol

All this talk about the hurry up offense and taking second looks at certain rules and penalties, i also thought of one. I thought of what CNS said about defensive players being at risk of injury for not being set or ready when the ball is snapped. Now from what i THINK i know, the only time a flag can be thrown for hitting a defensless player is when a wr is the victim, in certain cases. Now, if an offensive lineman hurries to the line and gets set, and the defensive lineman is communicating with the sideline or the other D players on the field, and the ball is snapped and the O lineman lays him out, would that not be the same as hitting a defensless player? I think that was along the lines of the point CNS was trying to make......I THINK. Lol

You're not far off base.

I expect to see some type of addendum in the rules of defenseless players for blocking defenders after an interception.

Gary Danielson expressed his thoughts on this yesterday and brought up the same thing a few of us have been discussing here.

He mentioned how the rules read a few years ago and what made the NCAA implement the penalty for 12 men in the huddle. He cited teams having 14-15 guys in the huddle, break with 11 running to the line of scrimmage, and then running a quick play.

Yesterday he mentions with the distance between the hash marks in college ball, teams will run quick substitutions when the ball is on their side of the field. Quick subs, quick plays. He went further and mentioned the same teams don't do so when the ball is on the opposite hash mark.

He, as a few of us have suggested is likely coming, called for the need for a rule change.

Similiarily, but way off topic, I remember an interview Nikki Sixx of Mötley Crüe </SPAN>gave MTV in 1990. He was talking about the way rock bands at that time in music were all looking the same, singing the same and at some point soon something had to give. He exaulted, "We need a revolution." Viola, here came the grunge movement in 1991.

We all know that coaches are like ants marching, they see a trend and they can't help but to follow it and claim it as being the best thing since sliced bread. High school coaches are very gullible and green - they are the biggest believers in these trends. Coaches call the no-huddle offense "the great equalizer." Hell, ego maniacs like Malzahn and Tony Franklin write books and do high school clinincs and sell the snake oil to all these high school coaches. Look at how many teams at everry high school and college level are now running all their plays from the sidelines from the shotgun. It is really hard to believe. It also makes for laziness in recruiting and defense because these fat coaches are not having to work their butts off in recruiting or worring about scheming to keep up with the big boys.

Last edited:
Similiarily, but way off topic, I remember an interview Nikki Sixx of Motley Crew gave MTV in 1990. He was talking about the way rock bands at that time in music were all looking the same, singing the same and at some point soon something had to give. He exaulted, "We need a revolution." Viola, here came the grunge movement in 1991.

Ah dude, got a +1 for a Nikki Sixx quote, but a -2 for misspelling Motley Crue......:twothumbs:

Back
Top Bottom