| RECRUIT Will we sign any defensive lineman in this class?

For your reading enjoyment. Long but good stuff if you're into recruiting.

On the verge of a commitment?

Elijah Conliffe, four-star defensive tackle from Hampton High School in Virginia, seems ready to announce his decision after taking an unofficial visit to Alabama on Saturday. Alabama is in the lead for his signature. He plans on returning to Tuscaloosa for the Iron Bowl, and again for an official visit in December or January. Conliffe mentioned he has spoken with some video guys about releasing a video very soon. Could it happen this week? Maybe. I expect him in this class at some point. There are some others who are ahead on the board, but his commitment would be accepted.

Defensive Linemen are Coming

For those of you who are avid Game of Thrones viewers like myself- Winter is always coming. Well, so are the defensive linemen in Alabama's class. Just be patient. I expect Conliffe to join the class. I also expect LaBryan Ray, Rivals100 defensive end from James Clemens High School in Madison, Alabama, to join the class at some point. The only real threat I've been told is surprisingly Tennessee. I will be completely shocked if he does not sign with the Tide.

Phidarian Mathis (more in-depth below) is another name who is leaning to Alabama at the moment. Most keep asking about the five-stars like Isaiah Buggs, Marvin Wilson and Tyler Shelvin. It's the same as it always is- Alabama is on the outside looking in. Alabama wants Aubrey Solomon, Rivals100 defensive tackle from Lee County High School in Leesburg, Georgia. Georgia is in the best position for him. Can it change in the next few months? Yes, especially with a great visit, but Alabama trails right now.

Ryan Johnson, four-star defensive end from St. Paul's in Mobile, Alabama remains in the play. He has visited Alabama twice this fall. He is certainly expected to return for the Iron Bowl. Johnson grew up an Auburn fan, and seems to still favor the Tigers. I've said many times Alabama is likely to only take one of the two between Ray and Johnson. It could change if they feel they are going to miss out on another defensive lineman.

Javon Kinlaw, three-star defensive tackle from Jones County Community College in Ellisville, Mississippi, remains a top target for the coaching staff. Kinlaw remains committed to South Carolina. He plans on taking official visits including one to Alabama. It's just a wait-and-see type of situation right now. There really isn't much more to say.

The guys Alabama has the best shot to sign on the DL- Ray, Kinlaw, Solomon and Mathis are at the top of the wish list.

OL shuffle

Alex Leatherwood, five-star offensive tackle from Washington High School in Pensacola, Florida, will sign with Alabama. I have very little doubt in my mind he goes elsewhere. Is he going to enjoy the process and take all of his visits? Yes. Is he having a press conference at his high school on December 16 to announce a final decision? Yes. Will it be to announce a flip elsewhere? No.

There has been some back-and-forth going on in the last few months trying to figure out who is the next OL to jump on board. Isaiah Wilson seemed very close to announce a decision shortly after his trip to Alabama in the summer. He decided to wait. Jedrick Wills planned to announce a decision in August. He decided to wait. Trey Smith seemed like he was heading anywhere other than Alabama.

Isaiah Wilson, five-star offensive tackle from Poly Prep in Brooklyn, New York, is at the top of Alabama's wish list on the offensive line. Wilson will return to Alabama for his official visit on November 25. Most outsiders believe he will land at Michigan. The Alabama coaching staff still believes they have a great chance to sign the No.1 offensive lineman in the country. Adam Friedman who covers the Mid-Atlantic region for Rivals believes it's currently a 50-50 race between Alabama and Michigan.

Jedrick Wills, five-star offensive tackle from Lafayette High School in Lexington, Kentucky, had informed several people he was ready to announce his commitment to Alabama. Did Alabama tell him to wait? No. The coaching staff also expected a commitment from Wills in August. Wills has taken several visits this fall, and plans to visit Alabama at some point. I honestly don't know what he will do at this point. Alabama is still heavily recruiting him, but I believe they will wait to see what happens with Wilson before they make a stronger push.

Trey Smith, Rivals100 offensive tackle from University of Jackson School in Tennessee, took an unofficial visit to Alabama this past weekend. Smith has seen the Crimson Tide play three times this fall- in Tuscaloosa, Oxford and Knoxville. All three wins for Alabama.

Smith was a strong Alabama lean early in his recruitment. He grew up a big fan of the Crimson Tide. Tennessee is the perceived favorite for Smith. His sister attends school there, and he has admitted it will make things a lot easier on his family if he signs with the Vols.

Smith is likely going to wait a while before making a decision. He still wants to take his official visits including a return trip to Alabama. He was impressed on the visit, and spent a lot of time with the coaching staff. There is a little bit of growing concern in Knoxville after Smith's trip to the Capstone. We'll see how it plays out down the road, but Alabama has positioned itself back in the race.

I expect Alabama to land one of these three players when it's all said and done.

Hey Bone, what about the other official visitors?

Glad you reminded me! Baron Browning, five-star linebacker from Kennedale High School in Texas, had a great trip to Alabama. He likes to avoid the media so it's a little difficult to get a good read on just where his head is at after the official. Alabama absolutely loves him. They consider him a 'freak' football player who can play a number of different positions.

Alabama has also put itself in good position with Deangelo Gibbs, four-star safety from Grayson High School in Loganville, Georgia. Gibbs has been considered a Georgia lock for the last several months. He visited Alabama for the Champion Cook-Out in the summer, and now has taken an official visit. Alabama definitely believes they have a great chance to sign him, but it's a battle with the Bulldogs.

FSU commitment Stanford Samuels, Rivals100 safety from Flanagan High School in Pembroke Pines, Florida, was also in attendance for an official visit. Samuels had a really good trip, but it's going to be a little more difficult for Alabama to steal his commitment.

It will come down to 3

We continue to question which wide receivers will join Alabama's class in addition to Jerry Jeudy and Tyrell Shavers. There are several names still floating out there, but IMO Alabama will sign two out of these three- DeVonta Smith, Henry Ruggs, Nico Collins. There are a few I wouldn't completely give up on just yet- Tarik Black, James Robinson who both plan on visiting before signing day.

I continue to have high confidence in Devonta Smith, Rivals100 wide receiver from Amite High School in Louisiana, signing with Alabama. He was in Baton Rouge for the LSU/Ole Miss game. I wouldn't think too much about that. He had the ACT on Saturday. A little difficult to travel to Tuscaloosa. He's been to Alabama a few times this season, and the coaching staff continues to believe they are in excellent position with him.

Henry Ruggs, four-star wide receiver from Lee High School in Montgomery, remains very high on Alabama's wish list. He was in Tuscaloosa on Saturday, and had another great visit. Ruggs has kept a relatively quiet profile since the start of his senior season. His season has come to a conclusion. He probably will take his official visits before making a decision. Those close to him believe Alabama is in the driver's seat. He remains a definite take for the Crimson Tide.

Is the Tide turning for Nico Collins, five-star wide receiver from Clay-Chalkville High School? Collins had a great weekend trip to Alabama where he spent time with Nick Saban and wide receivers coach Billy Napier. Collins has high comfort level in Tuscaloosa especially with friends who attend the school including freshman wide receiver T.J. Simmons

Michigan has been considered the favorite for the last several months. It's not necessarily the case anymore. Not publicly at least. Collins does not claim a favorite at this time. He knows which schools will receive official visits. He is visited Michigan on November 5, Florida State on November 25 and LSU on December 9. He will also visit Alabama and Georgia. Those visits are not scheduled yet.

Alabama is in it for Collins. Will they accept a commitment from him? Yes. Would they if Smith and Ruggs are on board? Probably not. Just as I believe Alabama will not accept a commitment from Ruggs if Smith and Collins are on board.

Alabama will get some of these other receivers on campus in January for official visits. They will hope to know where Smith, Ruggs and Collins stand by then. They will make a push for others if they only feel good about one of the three. The plan is to take two more (at least right now). All three of these players have the ability to commit at this time.

When will Tua visit?

There hasn't been a lot to report regarding Alabama commitment Tua Tagovailo, Rivals100 quarterback from St. Louis High School in Honolulu, Hawaii, this season beyond his stat line each week. Tua is not expected to visit Alabama this season. There just isn't really any way for him to come do to his football schedule and playoffs. His family plans on taking the official visit in December.

Concern growing for Najee?

Concern is going to continue to grow for Najee Harris, five-star running back from Antioch High School in California, until he officially arrives on campus. That's just how it's going to be. It would be like that even if he said he wasn't going to take official visits. Some tend to forget how solid Calvin Ridley was with his commitment, but took a last second visit to Miami. Amari Cooper did the same thing.

Najee is going to take his official visits. He's made no secrets about it. He wants to make sure he is making the right decision. You know what? That's OK. He should explore his options. Trust me if I was the No.1 player in the country living in California and I saw the success of freshman and sophomore running backs in Tuscaloosa I would probably explore my options as well to make sure Alabama is the best decision for me.

At the end I think he is going to decide Alabama is the best place for him. He's going to cause some anxiety for some over the course of the next few months including the coaching staff.

Wade to visit in November

Shaun Wade, five-star cornerback from Trinity Christian in Jacksonville, Florida, will take an official visit to Alabama on November 25. Wade will take official visits to Ohio State (November 5) and Virginia Tech (November 12). He visited Notre Dame on September 17.

Wade used an official visit for a trip to Notre Dame on Sept. 17. Between now and his Alabama trip, he’ll use official visits for Ohio State on Nov. 5 and Virginia Tech on Nov. 12. Most want to to know if Wade will flip his commitment? Everyone wants a yes or no answer. It's up in the air. Wade doesn't know if he will flip. He continues to say his commitment to the Buckeyes is solid. Does the Alabama staff think they have a good chance to flip him? Yes, but that doesn't translate to 'they definitely think he will definitely flip'.

Rumors have swirled for months regarding the strong possibility of Wade flipping his commitment to the Crimson Tide. He has visited Alabama several times. He was in Tuscaloosa earlier this month. He certainly has strong interest in the program, but at the same time he has been committed to Ohio State since January 2015. He has a very strong, close relationship with the Buckeyes coaching staff.

We can throw out predictions all day long or make 'crystal ball' picks. Whatever you want to call it, but there isn't a clear answer as to what he will do yet. So there really isn't a reason to throw out a prediction. We'll just have to wait and see how things go during his official visits.

Can Bama add four from Louisiana?

It's no secret Alabama continues to have a lot of success recruiting in the Bayou State. Alabama has yet to land a commitment in the 2017 class from Louisiana. Expect that to change down the road. I mentioned my high confidence in Alabama signing DeVonta Smith in a post above. I still believe they will since I made the post.

Alabama is the current favorite for Chris Allen, four-star linebacker from Southern Lab High School in Baton Rouge, and Phidarian Mathis,three-star defensive tackle from Neville High School in Monroe. Allen was in Baton Rouge on Saturday after he originally planned to visit Alabama (He took the ACT on Saturday). Mathis made the trip back to Tuscaloosa. His second visit to Alabama this season. Both will continue to wait to see what happens with the coaching staff at LSU before making a final decision, but as of now Alabama sits in good shape for Allen and Mathis.

I think we can forget about Tyler Shelvin, five-star defensive tackle from Notre Dame High School in Lafayette, flipping his commitment regardless of the coaching outcome. Shelvin may take some official visits including a possible one to Alabama, but he is very solid with his commitment to the Tigers.

Bone- You forgot about these guys! It must not mean they are coming here!

Wrong! There just isn't anything new to report on guys like Jarez Parks, five-star defensive end from Sebastian River High School in Florida, or Cam Akers, five-star running back from Clinton High School in Mississippi, or anyone else I failed to mentioned in this edition of the Insider Report. Parks is still a close battle between Alabama and Florida. Akers couldn't make the trip to Tuscaloosa on Saturday, but will make a trip to Alabama soon.

Once again- Don't worry about the numbers. It will all work out just fine for all you and the Crimson Tide! Enjoy!

Recruiting - BONE: Insider Report | TideSports.com

Najee Harris will stay the human roller coaster ride and that's fine, it happens ever recruiting cycle. Our young running backs are toting the rock and getting better each time out. I hope Najee wants to compete?

Back
Top Bottom