| FTBL Will Jimbo last until the end of the season? Will the administration fire him when the season ends? Or do they give him another year?

Jimbo gets paid the full amount no matter what. There is no “payout” for early dismissal. In many cases, a school gets relief of some part of the salary by what the guy gets paid in his next job. Not so with Jimbo. He gets paid 100% of his contract (over time) no matter what.

So, do they keep him around for another 7-5 season (or worse) or do they dump him in the hopes of hiring someone who can raise the record to 8-4 or better?
Thus the dilemma! Pay him to go away and take a risk of bringing in someone else or sit back and watch him burn your program to the ground!

What perception do they have to save with their current staff? He just brought on Petrino.

The perception will also point to how he ran the FSU program in the ground, was paid a lot of money and didn't do a thing for A&M.
The perception of spending that much money in a bust for whoever was pushing it will be bad. My guess is that the politics of the alums that are funding all this are much more entrenched than publicly seen. To get rid of Jimbo now with that much of a payout, and that big of a bust is gonna cause a lot more ripple than just the coaching staff getting fired.

Bottom line, those that have the money and funded this may not want to accept that it’s a failure yet and if they have the power and the money, I don’t see him getting fired even though though they can afford it.

Again, I have no inside knowledge, and this is just an opinion, and more of a guess as it’s not educated at all.

As a note, my wife is an FSU grad so I’ve been following FSU football for the last 25 years and prior to that Bobby Bowden was a family friend of my grandfathers so I’ve always had interest in FSU program. Jimbo was always a shit coach coach at FSU. He ran that program completely into the ground, he had no discipline and let the players run themselves. I don’t fault Jimbo for leaving for A&M for that amount of money because let’s be real it was a deal that any coach would be interested in and FSU was never going to match and give Jimbo what he wanted. Regardless I’ve never been impressed with Jimbo as a head coach and whatever A&M saw him to offer that much money is beyond me.

Last edited:
The perception of spending that much money in a bust for whoever was pushing it will be bad. My guess is that the politics of the alums that are funding all this are much more entrenched than publicly seen. To get rid of Jimbo now with that much of a payout, and that big of a bust is gonna cause a lot more ripple than just the coaching staff getting fired.

Bottom line, those that have the money and funded this may not want to accept that it’s a failure yet and if they have the power and the money, I don’t see him getting fired even though though they can afford it.
Alternatively...

Since A&M joined the SEC they have spent close to 900 million on coaching contracts, stadium renovations, and the like. If you compare their stint here in the SEC versus their time in the Big 12 you'll find their winning percentage to be the same. If they fire Jimbo they're looking at 1 billion spent to be the same team, same program, just in a different pasture.

I heard a number lately ... not sure if I misunderstood or not. Jimbo's road record is 7-15 at A&M.

Alternatively...

Since A&M joined the SEC they have spent close to 900 million on coaching contracts, stadium renovations, and the like. If you compare their stint here in the SEC versus their time in the Big 12 you'll find their winning percentage to be the same. If they fire Jimbo they're looking at 1 billion spent to be the same team, same program, just in a different pasture.

I heard a number lately ... not sure if I misunderstood or not. Jimbo's road record is 7-15 at A&M.

Sooooooo, "buy" more home games, :laugh: ???

Alternatively...

1. I think stadium renovations would have happened regardless of the conference they’re in and the plans for expansion were started long before the SEC.
2. I don’t know what’s included in “and the like” so I can’t comment.
3. Bad decisions are expensive. Hiring Jimbo for $100 million guaranteed was a bad decision.

Alternatively...

Like i said, i'm not talking $$$$, i'm talking political and perception... I have no doubt they can raise the money if desired to fire him and hire a new coach... but someone besides the coaching staff going to get a black eye too... just saying that coaching deal was one of the most horrible one sided (leaning to the coach) i've ever seen. Who ever had the power and money to offer it isn't going to look good, but maybe that won't matter at aTm. I'm not expert there.

Like i said, i'm not talking $$$$, i'm talking political and perception
When you look at the political structure in Texas you'll find a lot, I mean A LOT, of A&M people wielding power.

Analogy: When Malzahn was still at Auburn people kept pointing to the buyout—can't an agricultural school afford ...

And now we're talking about A&M...who didn't sneeze at sending Sumlin packing.

Perception? He hired Petrino. He ran FSU into the ground. He's not doing well at A&M. And when he gets fired there's a bad perception? Yes. Of their hiring practices; not of the decision.

Now that TX and OU are in the conference...don't look for reasoning in College Station. There are plenty of reasons not too...look at their history with both schools.

Back
Top Bottom