• Bobby Petrino

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kirk Ferentz

• Jim Grobe (the Wake Forest guy)

• Total voters
BigAl said:
I cant believe shula is getting this much support on this poll.

I can't either.

Let's put the record, sanctions, lack of depth, etc... aside. How can we stand to see repeat efforts of the Duke, FIU and Miss. State games? How do you explain lack of focus vs. these teams? How can you bear to add to the already unbelievable stats of like 0 and 20-something when trailing going into the 4th Q? How can we bear to listen to one more press conference when no personal blame is taken and no clear direction is given?

This all hurts me, but I have to be honest.

Please tell me, because if Shula is back I'm very afraid I'll need to know how to face all of these things yet again next year. :?

1.) Saban
2.) Spurrier
3.) Petrino
4.) West Va guy
5.) Wake guy
6.) Navy guy
7.) Rutgers guy
8.) Iowa guy
9.) other
10.) Shula

I heard a story once about a coach who was an old friend of Coach Bryant’s who got fired from coaching at another University. Coach Bryant was quick to hire the guy to work at Bama. After spending a couple of hours in his new office with absolutely nothing to do, the guy walks into Coach Bryant’s office and asks him what exactly it is he was hired to do. Coach Bryant sits back in his chair and after thinking for a few minutes, looks at his old friend and asks, “Well you like smoking cigarettes don’t you?”
“Yea, Coach, I do.”
“and you like drinking coffee, right?”
“Yea, I do.”
“Well, I want you to travel to all the coffee houses around Tuscaloosa, smoke cigarettes, drink coffee, and tell everybody in there what a great job Coach Bryant is doing!” :D

I’ve always thought that story was funny. I share it because message boards are a lot like the coffee shops of today and I’m really starting to think some folks around here are on Coach Shula’s payroll.
:?

6 years ago today, I voted to keep Shula. I never would have believed we'd be sitting here today, one game away from playing for our 3rd BCS trophy in 4 years. Nor would I have believed we'd be in the midst of being ranked #1 in the BCS at least once during the regular season for 5 consecutive seasons. Amazing how far we've came.

Kudos to the UA administration for the home run hire when nobody believed in their ability to lead the University of Alabama out of the dark ages.

You sir, have got one dang big shovel. I was on "that other board" back then and the only joy I had was this one poster "Dabaxter" that had an unreal mancrush on Paul Johnson. I think he got banned during that time. I thought about him while watching UGA steamroll Yech yesterday.

Last edited:
Baxter was here too. I think he was the first poster I can remember who left because of our "let the members police the forum" policy. He got it handed to him with every post, until he finally quit. Good times.

This is awesome!

Social networking is a strange thing.. the way everything you say is basically memorialized in cyberspace forever. I poked fun at myself on Facebook after the NCG this year by referencing a post I put up in frustration on Dec 7 2008 after a Falcons loss, griping that both of my teams had let me down and we probably wouldn't see Bama 12-0 again in our adult lives. LOL

Last edited:
I remember talking to Kenny Stabler in a Mall parking lot right before Christmas the year we got Saban. I asked him about the coaching progress and he said to me We will have some great news about a coach that will turn the program around soon. It will make history. Be patient.

It was actually during the coaching search that I joined this forum. I had a friend in the AD back then, and I was acquaintances with a number of highly placed people. I knew Saban was going to be hired before Shula was fired.

Interesting about dabaxter... Trickle Down wasn't the only thing lost...

i think dabaxter showed up again after the IB in 2010 going on about how we werent getting our money's worth out of Saban, how his record wasnt really better than Shula and he "won with Shula's players". Haven't seen him since....

BigFan I remember that when you first joined. That's crazy, I didn't know whether to believe your claims or not because it seemed like everyone was saying they had "sources" telling them different things were going to happen.

It's amazing how quickly things change. Thank goodness Saban saw the light.

Btw, I remember Baxter back in the day, but the worst had to be LennyKoslowski.

Haha, I remember people posting the "Debbie Downer" videos from SNL about him.

We laugh about the meltdowns that Auburn has had this year, but I remember some MASSIVE ones around here during the Shula days, and Lenny was the leader of the pack.

Btw, I remember Baxter back in the day, but the worst had to be LennyKoslowski.

Haha, I remember people posting the "Debbie Downer" videos from SNL about him.

We laugh about the meltdowns that Auburn has had this year, but I remember some MASSIVE ones around here during the Shula days, and Lenny was the leader of the pack.
This http://www.rolltidebama.com/forum/showthread.php?79172-Saban-vs-Shula has got to be the winner for the dumbest post ever on this site.

Back
Top Bottom