| FTBL Who is the best recruiting head coach?

There are some great ones... Carroll, Stoops, Brown, Richt, Meyer, Zook... and of them, they have different styles. Bottom line though, I wouldn't trade Saban for any of them.

JacobGibson05 said:
Everybody always says Pete Carroll, but with him most of his come out of CA. USC doesn't have much to compete with when it comes to top recruits on the West Coast...
I disagree. To be fair they are the best national recruiters in the country. But others don't have to go east like they do. Carroll is probably the best recruiting "person." Saban and his staff do a better job than anyone, though. He hires you based on your recruiting skills and has simply organizes the program to be able to recruit at the highest level. It is just impressive to watch them work. The organization and future schedules regarding recruiting are so precise and detailed I don't see how anyone could do it better than Alabama's staff.

2. USC

3. Florida

JacobGibson05 said:
Everybody always says Pete Carroll, but with him most of his come out of CA. USC doesnt have much to compete with when it comes to top recuites on the West Coast...

That's kinda the thing with Carroll. He cherry picks California and leaves the left-overs for the rest of the Pac-10 to feed on.

I can tell you that from what I've seen he's got a heck of a recruiting base in Cali, and in southern California in particular. I live in the South Bay of Los Angeles and can tell you from what I've seen and from the people I've talked to, USC is the be all, end all. People want to send their kids to USC right now because the school is on top. Los Angeles metro is really contributing to that.

There is a school of thought out there (and a book written on it FWIW) that says that Carroll is digging his own grave in the long run, due to his snatching up all the best recruits in Cali and most of the best along the west coast. That school of thought goes along the lines that the PAC-10 is a weak conference to begin with, and only weaker when someone like Carroll can monopolize recruiting within the conference.

Fact is, he is a great recruiter and has monopolized the business of West Coast recruiting over the last few years.

Which coach did other coaches force the NCAA to enact an emergency measure against stating that if you do too well recruiting you will be made to stop?

And no, I am not talking about the emergency meeting that was convened by the NCAA to force Tommy Tuberville to make his players stop shattering kneecaps.

porkchop said:
JacobGibson05 said:
There is a school of thought out there (and a book written on it FWIW) that says that Carroll is digging his own grave in the long run, due to his snatching up all the best recruits in Cali and most of the best along the west coast. That school of thought goes along the lines that the PAC-10 is a weak conference to begin with, and only weaker when someone like Carroll can monopolize recruiting within the conference.

Sounds like a good read...title?

Back
Top Bottom