| FOOD While I appreciate the thought... self scanning, Amazon based, carts at the grocery store.

When I was working in San Fran prior to Covid, there was an Amazon convenience store beside our office. You could get a special card that linked to your Amazon acct, or even link your Amazon acct to some company’s work IDs. You go in the store, grab groceries or food for lunch, etc and just walk out. The scanners knew when you walked out and what items were walking out with you. Eliminating scanner workers I guess.

The store by office I took advantage of a few times. I could walk in, grab a pretty quality sandwich or salad and walk out in about 60 seconds. Wouldn’t work for large groceries for a few reasons. But man, even skipping swiping your debit card saved a little time. It was incredibly efficient for that purpose. It would suck buying large groceries with those little carts and all like this video.

The store by office I took advantage of a few times. I could walk in, grab a pretty quality sandwich or salad and walk out in about 60 seconds. Wouldn’t work for large groceries for a few reasons. But man, even skipping swiping your debit card saved a little time. It was incredibly efficient for that purpose. It would suck buying large groceries with those little carts and all like this video.
I'd love to see something like this at convenience stores though I can't see how that would work. Like the recent Walmart story they'd see a lot of losses. Hell, I've called out two people shoplifting recently at the convenience stores I frequent.

I'd love to see something like this at convenience stores though I can't see how that would work. Like the recent Walmart story they'd see a lot of losses. Hell, I've called out two people shoplifting recently at the convenience stores I frequent.
They have a very sophisticated system that relies on the carts and cameras. It senses everything put into the cart or taken out of it using those. They also use security cameras to watch for people gaming the system. Automated alerts to security happen if someone is doing a lot of putting things in and taking them out or if the cameras see someone putting something in their coat. WalMart would never be able to maintain the carts required for that nor could they ever ensure the prices on the shelf were right.

Funny enough, Walmart did try out an RFID-based system previously. I could tell you from personal experience working on building an RFID system for check batch location tracking inside a closed ecosystem that it would never work on such a scale. They morphed that into the location tracking of devices on-prem for their WiFi systems in order to determine the best location for things and how to direct people to what Walmart wants to sell as opposed to what customers want to buy.

She just needs to move to CA/OR/WA, no arrest.

Back
Top Bottom