| FTBL Where and when was the first Bama Football game you saw in person?

Kerry Goode blew out his knee, correct?
Correct. Very early in the 3rd quarter. On Bama's first play from scrimmage IIRC. If they didn't give him the ball on that play, they should have. He only had 297 All Purpose yards in the game at the time with 3 TDs. One rushing, one receiving, and one on a 99 yard second half kickoff return.

Had lunch at Bryant Hall (future Son-In-Law was on the basketball team) on Sunday and the first person I saw when entering the building was Kerry. Standing in the hallway on crutches. My heart sank to my feet.

Last edited:
1986, Temple at Alabama in Bryant-Denny. I was 8, and went with my Mom and Dad... Bama won 24-14...

s-l1600.jpg
I was at that same game. And it was also my first BAMA game to attend. I was 15 (16, later that year).

My cousin got 3 tickets (I think through her job), so she took her son and me. They were end zone seats, but I didn't care. I was already a big BAMA fan, and that was the coolest thing in my life up to that point.

Bryant Denny
6yrs Old

BAMA 77
VPI 6

All I remember was every time Bama ran a play someone ran for an 80 yard TD.

Sometime late in this game some REALLY drunk old lady... prolly only 30 but thats old for a 6yr old kid... started singing by her self:

Alamabama Alamabama Alamabama Crimson Tide

Raise your glasses kick their asses

Alamabama Crimson Tide.

I asked my Mom what song she was singing and my Mom said "We don't sing that song."

But she sure as heck did Rammer Jammer at the end of the game.

Last edited:
Almost 1969. 12/28/1968. Eighteen days after he buried Pat Trammell. I'm surprised he gave a damn about the officials or anything else. My take on that game is he fulfilled his obligation to the Gator Bowl. He had his team there. IMO, he had a tough time mentally at that time of the year for many years. Didn't win another Bowl game until 1975.

"Because of Pat Trammell’s death, and the influence it had on Bryant and the Alabama family, nearly 800 children have now gotten stipends of up to $4,000 a year to walk in front of the Denny Chimes on their way to class and see Pat Trammell’s handprints and cleat marks cast in concrete at its base, simply because their dad also once paid the price.

A short time after Coach Bryant retired (due to advanced heart disease), legendary Birmingham News writer Clyde Bolton caught Bryant in a melancholy moment and asked him quietly, “Who was your favorite player, Coach?”

Oh course, Bryant would never pick one kid over the other, and he loved the guys who consistently tried to outwork their limited abilities every bit as much as his glittering All-Americans, but Bolton finally caught the legendary Alabama molder-of-men just right.

Coach Bryant talked about 10 or 15 “really special” players and then, pausing a moment, famously told the writer, “Now you’ll have to forgive me here for getting a little sentimental but … Pat Trammell was not just my favorite player … he was the favorite person … I’ve ever had in my life.”

That's who Pat Trammell was."

So Trammel is the QB, the game is one platoon football, meaning you played both ways. (NZAA repealed the rules in 1964 and allowed unlimited substitutions and separate offensive, defensive unit and kicking teams). Bama struggling on offense, so it’s 3rd and long. Trammel calls for a punt on 3rd down. When he reaches the sideline, Coach Bryant asks him why he punted on 3rd down, to which Trammel replied, “he!! coach, them sobs couldn’t block anybody, so I though I’d see if we could play defense”. Truly a different game back then.

So Trammel is the QB, the game is one platoon football, meaning you played both ways. (NZAA repealed the rules in 1964 and allowed unlimited substitutions and separate offensive, defensive unit and kicking teams). Bama struggling on offense, so it’s 3rd and long. Trammel calls for a punt on 3rd down. When he reaches the sideline, Coach Bryant asks him why he punted on 3rd down, to which Trammel replied, “he!! coach, them sobs couldn’t block anybody, so I though I’d see if we could play defense”. Truly a different game back then.
Saw Trammel play in HS....he was dynamite then...running the option

Correct. Very early in the 3rd quarter. On Bama's first play from scrimmage IIRC. If they didn't give him the ball on that play, they should have. He only had 297 All Purpose yards in the game at the time with 3 TDs. One rushing, one receiving, and one on a 99 yard second half kickoff return.

Had lunch at Bryant Hall (future Son-In-Law was on the basketball team) on Sunday and the first person I saw when entering the building was Kerry. Standing in the hallway on crutches. My heart sank to my feet.
Generational talent. It’s a shame that surgical procedures hadn’t advanced at that time. He could have been among the best we’ve seen.

The Iron Bowl in 1968 at Legion Field. Bama 24, Auburn 16. I was a student living in Birmingham, and spent most of a week of my part time jobs pay to attend. Still love Scott Hunter.

The Iron Bowl in 1968 at Legion Field. Bama 24, Auburn 16. I was a student living in Birmingham, and spent most of a week of my part time jobs pay to attend. Still love Scott Hunter.
JMO but Coach Bryant got HAPPY after that 66 year (64 and 65 NC's ) and allowed recruiting to suffer. Scott Hunter and Johnny Musso were great players but they didn't have the full roster of great players to go along with them.

Then Coach Bryant got serious again.
1644772210601.png

Well....true is....Hunters biggest fan was...Scott Hunter...lol
That 69 ole ms game between him n Archie....what a game...what a night

Truth. Back around 1991, I played on a baseball team with his son. During practices, Scott Hunter would throw a football with a friend in front of where the mom's would sit at the park, shirtless. To this day, it still cracks me up. This was when he was a Mobile sports anchor (WKRG I think?).

Truth. Back around 1991, I played on a baseball team with his son. During practices, Scott Hunter would throw a football with a friend in front of where the mom's would sit at the park, shirtless. To this day, it still cracks me up. This was when he was a Mobile sports anchor (WKRG I think?).
Are you saying he is in love with himself lol....

Scott Hunter and Johnny Musso were great players but they didn't have the full roster of great players to go along with them.
Still my favorite Bama player. As a kid he was my first Bama player hero.

Back
Top Bottom