| FTBL Where and when was the first Bama Football game you saw in person?

mando

Saw this topic floating around in another thread thought it would be cool to see everyone's responses.

Watched bama games since the late 60's but first live game was Southern Miss in 1990 against Bama in Legion field. Of course we all know that was not a good start for Stallings and Favre was the QB of USM. I would have been in my 20's post college days.

2018 Iron Bowl was my first game. My girlfriend (now wife) bought me some killer seats (as you can see) for my first game. Yeah, she was a keeper to say the least (despite her being a Dawg).

Tua threw 2 TD passes right in front of us & of course he ran for a TD at the beginning of the game at the corner pilon. It was truly a special time. 🙂
2018 Iron Bowl.jpg

1972 LSU game at Legion field. Bert Jones QB for the Tigahs, Terry Davis the "Bogalusa Beauty" for the Tide. Bama wins 35-21. Remember reading in the Bham News the next day a quote by Bert Jones, "Alabama has more class than the rest of the teams in the SEC put together".

My first game was the 2008 SEC Championship. I wasn't even a fan at the time. My uncle and I were just bored and rode to Atlanta (from Snellville) to see if we could score some tickets for a cheap price. The atmosphere was electric. Alabama fans were ecstatic to be back, Florida fans pumped after a recent Natty and another solid season. Tickets were like $500 a piece and up. A ton at the time. We asked probably a hundred folks and had no luck with anything. Thirty minutes before kickoff we found a family where the son and his pregnant girlfriend went back to their room because she wasn't feeling good, and they sold us their two tickets for like $100 a piece. I took advantage of their sponsor tickets that I bitched about in another thread that day as they weren't even fans and got them from Dr. Pepper. It was a great game and that was the first time I saw the Tide play and the love for the team the fans showed. I did not want Florida to win, always hated Florida.

1986, Temple at Alabama in Bryant-Denny. I was 8, and went with my Mom and Dad... Bama won 24-14...

s-l1600.jpg

First game and first date also. TSIO 10/17/1953. Nobody scored that day. :D Little girl and I rode the trolley from Woodlawn to Downtown to Legion Field. Imagine that happening in today's times.

Game was best know for the TV play-by-play done by Bama alum Mel Allen and ut alum Lindsay Nelson. Was only the fourth Alabama game televised and the third one('53 Orange Bowl) being the reason why I am a Bama fan. Heard and read the entire month of December how the "Beast of the East" was going to beat up on Alabama. Final score: Alabama 61-Syracuse 6! Had been a Bama lean during the Harry Gilmer days but didn't sign the LOI until 1/1/1953.

Last edited:
Great thread.

9/18/76 SMU 56-3. I was friends in school with a kid whose parents had moved out of town to a farm in Chelsea. His Dad worked for either APCO or South Central Bell, took us to the game, premium corporate tickets. 50 yard line, just under the shade of the Legion Field press box. I sat one row in front of Mary Harmon Bryant, people dropping by to pay their respects, cheerleaders working through the pre-game crowd handing out the real wood and paper shakers to us. For an eleven year-old redneck country kid, I was in heaven.

1959 Bama vs Memphis State. Seems like only yesterday.

Still wish Nick would breakout the white helmets every now and then. Bama won a tuff battle that day. Bama's punter Tommy White (from my hometown) had a 81 yard punt that day (5th longest in Bama lore (at one time)). Dad and I were sitting those wooden bleachers in the dead man endzone and Tommy was damn near standing out of the Bama endzone when punted that 81 yarder.

Factoid. Tommy's sister Carolyn married Pete Steele and Keviin Steele is one of their sons. Small world.

Still wish Nick would breakout the white helmets every now and then.

I'm a huge proponent of Bama doing a throwback game every other year or so for homecoming. Picking a season and going with that uniform combination, even involving the cheerleader uniforms and year appropriate field painting/markings. The other big sports should do it as well... basketball and baseball specifically.

I'm a huge proponent of Bama doing a throwback game every other year or so for homecoming. Picking a season and going with that uniform combination, even involving the cheerleader uniforms and year appropriate field painting/markings. The other big sports should do it as well... basketball and baseball specifically.

You would think asa traditionalist university they would try to recreate a look from tge past every so often to show appreciation for those commitments and times.

1959 Bama vs Memphis State. Seems like only yesterday.

Still wish Nick would breakout the white helmets every now and then. Bama won a tuff battle that day. Bama's punter Tommy White (from my hometown) had a 81 yard punt that day (5th longest in Bama lore (at one time)). Dad and I were sitting those wooden bleachers in the dead man endzone and Tommy was damn near standing out of the Bama endzone when punted that 81 yarder.

Factoid. Tommy's sister Carolyn married Pete Steele and Keviin Steele is one of their sons. Small world.
'59 was my Freshman year at Bama. I was in the student section at the Memphis State game. It was a very tough game.

Back
Top Bottom