| MBB/WBB Coach speak from Oats mirrored in a comment from Brandon Miller.

TerryP

Staff
What Brandon says is something we could hear daily—we do after seeing a team win.

Here, it's what Coach Oats says that caught my attention.

Coach Oats:

“I’m not gonna try to pump teams up better than what they are. I don’t lie to our guys. But we tell them the more talented teams don’t always win. The more talented teams win when they play harder, play more together and are more focused and more locked in. So we need to play harder. We did today. Be more focused. I thought we were today. And we were locked in. That’s kind of our messaging to our team. We’re not overlooking anybody. We’re not gonna lie and tell them they’re a better team than you, they’re not in some of these games. But they can still beat you if you don’t take care of those things. And we have full control over those things, like how hard do we play? How locked in are we? How great is our preparation coming in? Stuff that we have full control over, we feel like we should be better than the other team.”

I think CNS describes this as respect your opponent and respect winning when he knows the opponent is overmatched talent wise. I think Stallings said if you do not think one of these games is important lose one of them. The team has to continue to prep at a high level so that becomes their standard mode of operation.

Back
Top Bottom