| FTBL What would you run? 3-5 , 4-6 , or 4-3

G

I wonder what would you guys do? To stop the run this week?

I myself would run a modern 4-6 at least stack 8 in the box, or a 5-2? instead a 3-5 put the corners on islands and make the QB and wideout beat us. Instead of D-mac?

So what would you do?

Our base defense is a 3-3-5 - three down linemen, three linebackers and five defensive backs. We are a field-call defense, in that we will primarily declare strength to the field. Our end, Bandit linebacker, Gator and field corner line up to the field while our tackle, Willie linebacker, Rover and boundary corner line up to the boundary

HU-01.jpg

The three linebackers stack behind our D-linemen and the strong safeties (Gator and Rover) will align anywhere from on the line of scrimmage to 5-yards deep, and 2-3 yards outside the tight end or the tackle on an open end side. We give our three linebackers and our five defensive backs tremendous freedom to move pre-snap. We want to sell the possibility of the blitz on every play.

Our base alignment for our three down linemen is a heads up alignment. From this alignment, we use a variety of charges/movements. If the call is BASE, we want all three D-linemen to explode off the ball and knock the lineman in front of them into the backfield. If the O-lineman moves laterally, we will bend and pursue as flat as possible given the aggressiveness of the charge.

HU-02.jpg

Eight in the box
The area occupied by defensive linemen and linebackers is often referred to as "the box." The box is usually about 3-5 yards in depth and spans the offensive line in width. Normally seven players occupy this area but frequently another player is brought into the box for run support against smashmouth-oriented offensive teams or short yardage situations. The most common occurrence of eight in the box in the NFL involves the strong safety walking down from his position 10-15 yards off the line of scrimmage before the ball is snapped. From this tightened position he can offer the aforementioned run support as well as jam WRs and TEs, blitz the QB, or provide flat coverage. Due to the superior athleticism of NFL players, it is not uncommon for the box safety to even provide deep coverage after the snap, giving the QB a pre-snap Cover 1 read but effectively transitioning into Cover 2 or another shell post snap.

46 defense
A variation of "8 in the box" is called the 46 or "Bear" defense. It is designed to put pressure on the QB by lining up the defense with 3 defensive linemen covering the center & guards, and the 4th defensive linemen lined up either "wide" outside the TE or wide off the weak-side Tackle. The linebackers & strong safety are lined up behind the defensive line to put pressure on the QB as well.

The name "46" originally came from the jersey number of Doug Plank, who was a starting safety for the Chicago Bears when Bears' defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan originally developed the defense, and typically played in that formation as a surrogate linebacker. It also refers to the idea that the cornerbacks often play bump and run coverage and blitz, acting almost like two extra linebackers.

The key feature of the "46" is that both outside linebackers play on the same side of the formation. The linebackers line up behind the linemen two or three yards from the line of scrimmage. The primary tactic is to rush five to eight players on each play, either to get to the quarterback quickly or disrupt running plays.

1.gif

I love those diagrams. Where are you guys pulling them from?

As far as the defense I'd run??? Not sure. I havent really thought about it. My initial thought on it though doesn't involve the front 7 so much as the secondary when I think of Arkansas. What I mean is that the Hogs seem like the perfect team to run an umbrella over the top on or just sit your corners in the flats or short zones and play strict zone defense for 60 minutes.

The last thing I would want is to have my DB's turning and running with wide receivers all game long who are going to be nothing but decoys for McFadden and Jones. I would play a zone and keep the DB's facing the LOS. I feel like if you do that the rest of the front 7 (regardless of alignment) should be able to focus on the run.

porkchop said:
I love those diagrams. Where are you guys pulling them from?

As far as the defense I'd run??? Not sure. I havent really thought about it. My initial thought on it though doesn't involve the front 7 so much as the secondary when I think of Arkansas. What I mean is that the Hogs seem like the perfect team to run an umbrella over the top on or just sit your corners in the flats or short zones and play strict zone defense for 60 minutes.

The last thing I would want is to have my DB's turning and running with wide receivers all game long who are going to be nothing but decoys for McFadden and Jones. I would play a zone and keep the DB's facing the LOS. I feel like if you do that the rest of the front 7 (regardless of alignment) should be able to focus on the run.

I wonder what the tide will play, we can't run the standard 3-4 or the 3-5. The HOGS Oline will pound our backers if we do! They would have 4 yrd running start out of the block.

I can't wait to see with what we come up with 7 or 8 in the box. To see what kind of a blitz packages we throw at the hogs! The advantages gained by blitzing are obvious: proactively disrupt the offense's play before it develops and cause enough pressure on the quarterback to force him into a turnover.

Blitzes are usually run from "Cover 1" coverage shells which assign one man to guard the entire deep field, though blitzes can be employed in nearly any coverage scheme. Cover 1 is most effective because it allows a larger number of defensive players to tighten down on the line of scrimmage thus increasing the variety of blitzes possible. Correct me if I'm wrong their?

Disadvantages abound in any blitz scheme as well. First, the Hogs Olinemen are trained to recognize a blitzing player before the snap of the ball. They communicate well with each other at the line of scrimmage and shift the protection to the blitzing player's side thus strengthening their blocking front. You've got to give to the HOGS up front they're doing a great job this year! Plus Dmac is fine running back as well.

Since the main goal is to disrupt the offensive play before it even develops, many of our blitz packages encourage cornerbacks to play tight man bump and run coverage to disrupt the wide receivers' release and prevent them from running their pre-assigned routes.

The hogs QB can also call other players into the protection scheme with audibles if he feels that his current protection is weak. I feel the Oline does most of it. I would like to see us TEST the QB's IQ and make him beat us with his arm, instead the running game. I hope this will be the case!

If we are able to force them to beat us in the air we will win handily.

We can counter many of their blitz adjustments by not tipping off what we are doing until near the time the ball is snapped. I could be wrong of course, but I think that if we put their QB in situations where he has to change plays at the line of scrimmage we are in good shape.

You guys make sure you're not copying and pasting, or just taking things word for word. Big no no. :shock:

Optimus you had me thinking you were moonlighting with Dan Reeves there for a minute. :D :wink:

The 5-2 is not a good idea, IMO, we don't have the depth at D-line and McFadden is fast....if he pops around the corner on the 5-2, he is gonna run for a while. I like the 4-3 or 3-4. Our Linebackers are fast enough and can tackle well enough to get him if he gets through the D-line. I say mix some run-blitz in there and make them beat us in the air.

ijijmijij said:
You should cite your sources because this stuff is taken word for word from:

www.americanfootballmonthly.com/Subaccess/Magazine/2004/feb/multiple_335_defense.html

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitz_(American_football)

Hahaha I thought you were just a coach or something.

porkchop said:
You guys make sure you're not copying and pasting, or just taking things word for word. Big no no. :shock:

Optimus you had me thinking you were moonlighting with Dan Reeves there for a minute. :D :wink:

Right click on pics tells the story 90% of time bro! :lol:

My point is what are we going to play? That's the question the whole time? As we all know it can't be the 3-5 or 3-4. I havn't be able to see what all defenses Alabama has played this year. I'm sure you would agree chop they don't show bama games in LA.

So I was hoping some fourm memebers would be able to tell or provide some input as to which defense we are going to play.

As for citing stuff this not a term paper, but will do from now on. I just thought everyone would right click on pics and see the propreties :lol:

We ran a good bit of nickel against WCU and VU because of the sets they used, but I think we will see mire basic Saban this week. His scheme is a 3-4, but often one of the outside linebackers lines up on the line of scrimmage in a 3 point stance, making it a 4-3. At LSU, and at Alabama so far, he has used bigger outside linebackers than Kines did in his scheme. I think that this had something to do with Zack Schreiber deciding to transfer.

As for citing stuff this not a term paper, but will do from now on. I just thought everyone would right click on pics and see the propreties

It's the proper way to do it on the internet and if we were as strict as some boards your posts would have simply been deleted.

Never cut and paste or take word per word without stating where it came from.

psychojoe said:
We ran a good bit of nickel against WCU and VU because of the sets they used, but I think we will see mire basic Saban this week. His scheme is a 3-4, but often one of the outside linebackers lines up on the line of scrimmage in a 3 point stance, making it a 4-3. At LSU, and at Alabama so far, he has used bigger outside linebackers than Kines did in his scheme. I think that this had something to do with Zack Schreiber deciding to transfer.

Truth. Look for the Jack linebacker this week. I'm feeling, in a big way.

To answer the original question, I want to see a true 3-4 scheme with the ILB's shadowing the RB's. We ran a 3-3-5 last year, and kept them under 200 yards. We can do better.

Back
Top Bottom