| FTBL What would you like to know about Utah football?

(bbute)
" most flexible team in the nation"
In the Nation.......? thats a big statement man.

I would have to say Florida fits those shoes. Your team is good but I havent seen anything that really wow's me into making that statement about Utah football, that said I have watched a couple of your later games. I mean TCU... they Statistically beat you guys down the board till it comes to penalties and turnovers.And yall scored what 13? Really bro..
I doubt you have seen FL with as low statistics on there offense compared to you guys.And last time I checked our Defense is alot tougher than TCU's btw so you might wanna look at that game and add harder hitting and more discipline.

On another note BYU gets beat by a mediocre pac-10 Arizona, hmm dont ya hate that. Just when you think MWC was looking pretty good this year.And yes i saw the CSU game, Fresno State lost that game themselves with bad coaching and discipline. I think any top 25 team could have handled them last night. Well best of luck to the rest of your conferences Bowling trips.

And no I doubt anyone wants you to leave the board..
Just dont take it so personal and we will try to do the same:)

Utah is a very good football team and they are taking the game with Alabama very seriously. If we prepare as well as we can and play up to our potential -- the game should be good. If we don't prepare well, or think we have already won before the kickoff, then we could have a nasty surprise in New Orleans. Utah is capable of winning the game and they want it pretty badly. They have a lot of motivation to beat a "name" team. What is our motivational level like after we lost out for the NC? I am concerned about the outcome and take Utah seriously as a very worthy team.

TerryP said:
I've got to ask...

For you Ute fans, do you understand what T. Cody's job is on the defensive line?

Yes: occupy blockers.

One thing that is interesting is that you guys keep comparing us to Florida, and BJ to Tebow. Utah's offense really isn't anything like Florida's offense. Whittingham is old school, smash mouth, football, and this is where us "running the spread option like Florida" is completely off base. We don't really run the spread triple option. We don't even really run much option at all. I'm not exactly sure what kind of offense we are. Whittingham is old school football, and Ludwig is as well. Everywhere else he has been, Ludwig has had 2 backs, 1 TE, with a QB who drops back and throws it all over the field.

If I had to describe our offense, it would be like this: our offense is really more like a traditional run oriented offense, out of a shotgun spread formation to get the defense spread out and LB's off of the field, with option action to freeze back side defenders. We show option a lot, and sometimes BJ will keep it, but the whole purpose of our option action is to keep defenders honest and hand it off to our two big backs going downhill (Mack and Asiata).

But the frustrating thing is that Johnson can probably a better passer than Tebow. I say "can" because he can be a bit streaky. When he is off, he is inconsistent, but when he is on. Wow. You guys probably watched that BSU/TCU game last night. In the final drive against TCU, BJ was 7/8 for 80 yards, and the one incompletion he threw away. You saw that TCU defense. That's what happens when BJ is on. He also went 31-37 for 307 yards against BYU for the game. I don't care who you are playing, those are sick numbers.

Lastly, one thing I have learned about BJ is that he tends to come up big in the biggest games. So, I'm pretty confident he'll come out and have a good game. Bama's D has a big say in how good of a game he'll have. He'll be ready though.

So, overall, are we a running team or a passing team? It's hard to say. Whittingham and Ludwig want us to be a running team, but with a guy like Johnson, it's hard not to give him the ball and have him throw us to victory.

It's been an interesting thing to watch morph as the year has gone on.

Overall, I'm really interested to see the beginning of this game.

Defensively, we know what Utah is, we've been it for 10 years, and the players have been recruited for this defense. I'm fairly certain Utah will start defensively in our standard set: a 4-3 with man-free press coverage in the secondary, a safety in the box, and Sean Smith playing physical with Julio Jones. Will Saban run at us, or will he come out throwing since he knows that is what we will do? Saban seems like the type that says "This is what we do, try and stop us", so I think he'll try to run it anyway. It would be interesting to see if Saban would try to throw a curve ball though.

On the flip side, since we, typically, like to run the football, will Saban come out to stop the run as well? Will we come out throwing instead then (like we did against BYU)? We have 5 solid receivers, and BJ has been very good at spreading the ball around.

It'll be very interesting and fun to watch.

Damn, forget Christmas. Jan 2 can't come fast enough.

Go Utes!

U-Ute

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to add that I think that the matchup of the night is going to be Andre Smith vs Paul Kruger. That is going to be one epic battle.

I've never said Utah is like Florida. I've said that we've seen teams all season that contain aspects of what Utah does offensively and Florida is one of those teams.

(on the Florida note, the option part of the spread wasn't used a lot when I watched Florida this season. Most of Tebow's rushing attempts were between the tackles...almost a delayed QB draw for lack of a better expression)

I'm pretty confident of what we are going to do on both sides of the ball...I'll have the UA offense vs UU defense preview up tomorrow or Friday.

Check back...

TerryP said:
I've never said Utah is like Florida. I've said that we've seen teams all season that contain aspects of what Utah does offensively and Florida is one of those teams.

Sorry for the confusion. My only reply to you was the Cody question. I used the rest of it as an open message to the forum.

U-Ute

TerryP said:
What the heck Wyoming has to do with anything, I don't know. I'll let you guys play that "6-degrees of seperation Kevin Bacon Editions for college football" game.
He wasn't playing the "6-degrees of separation" game. He was responding to the guy that asked why we were punting against Wyoming.

BamaChef said:
(bbute)
On another note BYU gets beat by a mediocre pac-10 Arizona, hmm dont ya hate that. Just when you think MWC was looking pretty good this year.And yes i saw the CSU game, Fresno State lost that game themselves with bad coaching and discipline. I think any top 25 team could have handled them last night. Well best of luck to the rest of your conferences Bowling trips.
I don't see how BYU getting beat by a "mediocre" Pac 10 team has anything to do with Utah.

We beat BYU 48-24.

BYU doesn't have the athletes on defense to compete with TCU and Utah.

We beat CSU 49-16 and outgained them 549 to 298. We more than handled CSU.

Back
Top Bottom