| FTBL What Was Your Favorite Era of College Football?

For me, I'd have to say it was the 1980s-1990s. I think this was the peak of college football as a sport. Unlike today's game which requires teams to play basketball on grass, in the 1980s-90s you saw a very interesting mix of how the game was played. I really do think the rulebook had been perfected in the 1980s and 90s that created a state of offensive and defensive equilibrium to exist within the game of college football. You had teams like Oklahoma and Nebraska which still ran the ball down your throat and made your ass quit with a hard hitting defense, while also having teams like Florida, Miami, and FSU which utilized deadly pro style/run and shoot offenses. I think its cool how Alabama won the national title with arguably one of the greatest defenses of all time in 1992, and only four years later Florida won its first national title in 1996 with one of the greatest offenses of all time. That really does illustrate how offensive/defensive parody still existed back then.

I think its cool as well how many different teams won national titles in this time frame. Miami, FSU, and Florida were obviously the dominant teams in this age, but in the 1980s and 90s you saw some very peculiar teams win national titles such as Clemson (1981), BYU (1984), Georgia Tech (1990), Colorado (1990), and Washington (1991).

The head coaching talent was very deep in this era of college football as well. You had dominant figures such as Barry Switzer, Dr. Tom at Nebraska, The Ole Ball Coach, Bobby Bowden, Jimmy Johnson, Joe Paterno, Lou Holtz, and Bo Schembechler. But you also had capable coaches that had dominant or sustained periods of success such as Gene Stallings, LaVell Edwards (BYU), Bill Schneider (KSU), Bill McCartney (Colorado), RC Slocum/Jackie Sherrill (Texas A&M), Frank Beamer, Don James (Washington), Danny Ford (Clemson), Vince Dooley, Terry Donahue (UCLA), and even our favorite Pat Dye.

There were a shit ton of notable bowl games, rivalry games, and conference championship games played during this period of football, many of which are still famous today. These games include:

-The 1984, 1994, and 1995 Orange Bowls
-1987 Fiesta Bowl (still the most highly rated college football game of all time)
-Catholics versus Convicts in 1988
-Almost every Iron Bowl matchup in the 1980s
-1992 SEC Championship game
-Basically every FSU vs Florida game in the 1990s
-1994 SEC Championship Game (Sad Face)
-CU vs Mizzou 1990 (the "Fifth Down")
-CU vs Michigan in 1994 (Kordell Stewart Hail Mary)
-FSU vs Miami in 1991 and 1992
-1998 Big 12 Championship game
-1996 Big 12 Championship game (perhaps one of the greatest upsets of all time)
-Michigan vs Ohio State from 1995-1998
-Nebraska vs OU in the 1980s (Right up until Switzer got shitcanned)

My Conclusion: I think the 1980s and 1990s were the peak decades of college football. If I could use one word to describe this era, it would be "parody". While I certainly enjoy Alabama's total domination of college football currently, I do have to say I feel college football today is lacking a lot of the competitive luster it had in the 1980s-90s. There seems to be vacuum of great inter and outer conference rivalry games, and the sport today has become much more homogenized when it comes to dominant teams within the sport.

For pure nostalgia? No doubt the 70s. I was young and in my mind the game was pure and anyone who donned the Crimson was automatically on the level with Moses, John Wayne, Superman and Slim Sherman. If Coach Bryant had walked up in the yard and told me he wanted me to headbutt a stump then a damn stump was about to catch hell

Yeah I love where UA is now and it is awesome but the purity and clarity and the sheer unfiltered joy of those days in the 70s will stand forever in my mind

I absolutely love the current era with Bama dominating the college football world. But..... the 1970s were my favorite of all. Bama was always a contender, and there were a handful of other legit contenders (Nebraska, Oklahoma, USC, ND, Michigan, Texas). Tennessee-Bama was always on the 3rd Saturday in October and it was a legit game. Saturdays had one big national game and a special treat was when ABC would have a double-header. Bama was on TV 2 or 3 times per season usually. It seemed more special back then (yes I was a teenager, but still...). The rules didn't protect certain positions and the D didn't get penalized for knocking someone on their back.
But I'll say this again, I really like the way Bama dominates the game in the current era. ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!!!

I really enjoyed the 90's and early 2000's. As a boy in the 90's (6-15 years old), the pageantry of college football really consumed me. Florida State, Miami, Notre Dame, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, I just loved it all. Keith Jackson was my favorite. I enjoyed the 2000's a lot just because of how good USC and Miami were. The athletes they recruited and dominated with were a lot of fun to watch.

I would have said the late 70's, as that was when I first became a fan, listening to John Forney on the AM radio in my dad's F100 while drinking a Coca-Cola out of a glass bottle filled with salted peanuts. Then this dude from West Virginia showed up in Tuscaloosa, just a few years after I first got season tickets. Attended my first bowl games since Bryant's last game, one of them being vs Texas in the Rose Bowl stadium and the other vs LSU in the Superdome. Both turned out pretty good for me. So this Saban fella, even though I still love coach Bryant(especially after meeting him as a young lad), has provided me more thrills.

I would have said the late 70's, as that was when I first became a fan, listening to John Forney on the AM radio in my dad's F100 while drinking a Coca-Cola out of a glass bottle filled with salted peanuts. Then this dude from West Virginia showed up in Tuscaloosa, just a few years after I first got season tickets. Attended my first bowl games since Bryant's last game, one of them being vs Texas in the Rose Bowl stadium and the other vs LSU in the Superdome. Both turned out pretty good for me. So this Saban fella, even though I still love coach Bryant(especially after meeting him as a young lad), has provided me more thrills.

I could have written this very post almost word for word. Well said

Back
Top Bottom