| NEWS What is Next for Alabama Soccer?

My note to Coach Hart would read along the lines of "you best not be teasing me." I'm still in an argument with myself on whether last year's success is sustainable. The roster wasn't one I looked at and thought, "Hart developed." No Built By Bama™ vibe.

But. The portal, Bran. (wagging my finger as I'm typing.) Lost in the discussion of the impact of the portal on football is the impact it has on smaller rosters. We could likely put a final four basketball team together off the transfer portal.

On one hand I say we haven't seen the brand of the program built to sustain itself and on the other hand I'm realizing it can be built within a season.

All that said ...

It was a well coached ball club last season. There is no argument there.

This is probably a question for @bama alum, but is Hart's style he coaches a style that top players from other programs are seeking (somewhat similar to how Oats and his system attracts players in basketball)? I have zero clue if it's a style that is often used by the national teams, pro leagues, etc. I just know it worked well for Bama last year, and the broadcasters would always comment on how few teams attacked that way.

This is probably a question for @bama alum, but is Hart's style he coaches a style that top players from other programs are seeking (somewhat similar to how Oats and his system attracts players in basketball)? I have zero clue if it's a style that is often used by the national teams, pro leagues, etc. I just know it worked well for Bama last year, and the broadcasters would always comment on how few teams attacked that way.

I don't think Hart had ever hit the portal as much as he did last year. He's always recruited and coached his own. If this helps, he's like Jerry Stackhouse in that he can recruit well and develop his players...But he's clearly shifting toward Oats; he's going to keep playing the portal game. 1. It worked so well last year and 2. He's got a LOT of huge holes to fill now.

But he's clearly shifting toward Oats; he's going to keep playing the portal game. 1. It worked so well last year and 2. He's got a LOT of huge holes to fill now.
I feel "off" using this terminology because it's so blasé: they were fundamentally sound last season. It was rare to see a breakdown...a sign of a well coached squad.

Between Knox and Japic I like the foundation of the middle and backend.

The state of Alabama's high school system does not put out a lot of talent. Last year we didn't see any Alabama natives on the roster. It's left me thinking he'll have to "portal" Bama to the same level of success we saw last season.

Currently, I know of two who are transferring in: a F and a M (the F a top 100 player.)

The state of Alabama's high school system does not put out a lot of talent. Last year we didn't see any Alabama natives on the roster. It's left me thinking he'll have to "portal" Bama to the same level of success we saw last season.

Currently, I know of two who are transferring in: a F and a M (the F a top 100 player.)

Those incoming...Good! Especially in the mid!

Alabama high school soccer...Both Vestavia Hills and McGill-Toolens' girls are regular fixtures in the state's final four. There is some excellent talent there. I don't know how more are not going on to D1 programs.

Those incoming...Good! Especially in the mid!

Alabama high school soccer...Both Vestavia Hills and McGill-Toolens' girls are regular fixtures in the state's final four. There is some excellent talent there. I don't know how more are not going on to D1 programs.
That's what I was basing that comment upon. It's a lot like what we saw in basketball before Avery arrived and now we're on a national trail when recruiting.

As I think more about this ... the only school locally that comes to mind when thinking about women's soccer is a private school (non church related "Christian" setting.)

With teams like UNC it seems to be more about recruiting a traveling squad versus a specific high school. 🤷‍♂️ Not too awfully far from what we're seeing with softball.

That's what I was basing that comment upon. It's a lot like what we saw in basketball before Avery arrived and now we're on a national trail when recruiting.

As I think more about this ... the only school locally that comes to mind when thinking about women's soccer is a private school (non church related "Christian" setting.)

With teams like UNC it seems to be more about recruiting a traveling squad versus a specific high school. 🤷‍♂️ Not too awfully far from what we're seeing with softball.
Recruiting soccer is a lot like baseball and softball.
Almost exclusively club (travel) squads. Why go watch 1 at a high school game when you can watch 60-70 in a day at a legit travel tourney. All D1 “prospects” play club ball (I’m sure there may an exception here and there).

Back
Top Bottom