| FTBL What do you think about having bowl games as week zero?

Douchebag Danny Kanell mentioned this after the ass kicking his team got against UGA. It would have no opt outs and no transfer portal to worry about. Would you use the old conference tie ins to determine opponents?

I don't like moving the bowl games... We basically have some bowls at the start of the year now (like the Chick-fil-A games), and those couple of games are ok, but I don't care to see the full slate of them at the start of the season. It would be a step to solve the opt out issues, but it would also create other issues that IMO would be worse.

ESPN owns almost all of the bowls, and they need them to fill December programming. I don't think they'll move.
They don't own the bowls, they own the broadcast rights. Having preseason bowls IMO is stupid. Who do you put in? Based on preseason polls (which are never accurate)? Nobody wants to travel to Florida, Arizona or New Orleans in August weather.

They don't own the bowls, they own the broadcast rights. Having preseason bowls IMO is stupid. Who do you put in? Based on preseason polls (which are never accurate)? Nobody wants to travel to Florida, Arizona or New Orleans in August weather.
It's been a good while while since I read much on this, but I'm pretty sure ESPN or an operating sub owns at least half of the bowls themselves, not just the broadcast rights.

Here's a dated article and a relevant quote:

The big investor: The Walt Disney Co., owns ESPN and ABC, which are paying to televise 35 of the 40 postseason games, including those huge investments in the Playoff and Rose Bowl.

But ESPN doesn’t just televise these games. It also owns 13 major-college bowl games, mostly lower-tier games such as the Las Vegas, New Mexico and Camellia bowls, all of which will be played Saturday.

I’ve always liked the idea, if the only remaining postseason games would be the playoff. Maybe all teams could be forced to play one out-of-conference P4 opponent in Week 0, and then all remaining games would either be intra-conference games, no more out-of-conference until the play off.

Back
Top Bottom