| FTBL What did CNS say to the defense in the 4th Qtr.

Referee

Verified Member
I finished my football officiating assignments late Saturday nite and was relegated to listening to the game on radio.

After Arkansas scored their last touchdown the announcers said that CNS railed the defense on the sidelines after that poor showing.

Suddenly, the momentum switched to the tide and then obviously they had the tremendous finish...

I truly wish that they had the audio of what Nick actually said to get them into gear...

Great victory!

bamafan850 said:
He said " Get the ball back for us, dont let them run the time out or I will take this football, shine it up, turn it sideways, and stick it up your candy a$$."

And that was the polite version :D

"Get us the ball back with 2 minutes left or we will begin a relative process where my expectations are that you will run until you pass out each day of practice for the rest of the season, aight"

I was wondering that myself. I don't know what he said but I was watching as the Defense came off the field on Ark's last touchdown and let me tell you just by Saban's physical gestures it was heated.

Ok, So I actually looked in to this myself. I remember when I played football in high school that a coach's words can make or break your team spirit anytime. This is what Saban did:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/sports/1189934989174290.xml&coll=3

In fact, he went to his defensive players and asked them directly if they could stop Arkansas.

This was the worn-out defense that had just surrendered 28 points and a 21-point lead in a 10-minute span.

"I had confidence that we could stop them," Saban said. "I ask the players on the sideline on defense. I said, 'OK guys, we kick a field goal here, we have to stop them. Can you stop them? You know we're going to put them all up there and just dare them to throw it. But can you stop them?' They said they could, so I believed them and I had faith, trust and confidence in them and they did it."

The players obviously responded to Saban's strategy.

"That means a lot for the big guy to come over and look you in the eye," said defensive lineman Wallace Gilberry. "To have him come over to us like that and involve us, that means a lot."

The man is pure genius. Involving players in the decision-making like that is simply the best way to win a game. He didn't cast blame on the D for not holding Arky the last 4 possessions (although I'm sure he did later), he simply asked them what they could do and trusted them to man up, take responsibility, and do what they said they could. Genius.

Riles said:
Ok, So I actually looked in to this myself. I remember when I played football in high school that a coach's words can make or break your team spirit anytime. This is what Saban did:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/sports/1189934989174290.xml&coll=3

In fact, he went to his defensive players and asked them directly if they could stop Arkansas.

This was the worn-out defense that had just surrendered 28 points and a 21-point lead in a 10-minute span.

"I had confidence that we could stop them," Saban said. "I ask the players on the sideline on defense. I said, 'OK guys, we kick a field goal here, we have to stop them. Can you stop them? You know we're going to put them all up there and just dare them to throw it. But can you stop them?' They said they could, so I believed them and I had faith, trust and confidence in them and they did it."

The players obviously responded to Saban's strategy.

"That means a lot for the big guy to come over and look you in the eye," said defensive lineman Wallace Gilberry. "To have him come over to us like that and involve us, that means a lot."

The man is pure genius. Involving players in the decision-making like that is simply the best way to win a game. He didn't cast blame on the D for not holding Arky the last 4 possessions (although I'm sure he did later), he simply asked them what they could do and trusted them to man up, take responsibility, and do what they said they could. Genius.

Agreed! Although I was limited to the radio broadcast you could feel the pulse of the stadium. The fans were stunned at the loss of 21 point leads... not once but twice and they seemed back on their heels. For Nick to pull that off is remarkable. To get the players in tune relative to what needed to be accomplished, and for each and every defensive player who expected the worst to know that the Coach listened to them at the most pivotal moment... Brilliant! Worth every penny and more ROI to follow I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom