| FTBL What are your thoughts on the recruiting season?

• Thread starter imported_porkchop
  • Start date

What is your opinion of the 2007 recruiting season?

• Overall, I am happy with the class we will sign

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shula should have been retained. It's killed recruiting.

• Saban has been phenominal given the cards he's been dealt

• I'm pissed off and nothing you can say will change that!

• other (write in)

• Total voters
I

imported_porkchop

So what are your thoughts? Has the 07 recruiting season been a wash? Has it been a success? Could it have been more succesful under a different set of circumstances?

All things considered, what is your opinion of the 2007 recruiting season?

It won't be the best class in the nation by far. However, Coach Nick Saban went out and got players where we needed it the most.

He only had 5 weeks to renew relationships with commits and bring in new commitments. I think overall, he did a impressive job for the little time that he had.

So, I voted overall I'm satisfied with the class. I would of voted a Phenomenal job with little time , but he's a couple of steps below that.

Saban is doing a great job with all things considered. Didn't expect a great recruiting class but I did expect the needs to be filled this year. Saban seems to have accomplished that.

I would have to re-check the rankings but even with the class we have incoming (expected to anyway) we're sitting in the top 15 or so. That may have changed though.

All in all given the situation I think that if we sign a top 20 class we've done okay for ourselves. Next year, with a staff in place throughout the process, we'll be on a better footing.

My unhappiness with the way recruiting has gone lately is well documented in the recruiting forum, so I won’t restate everything here. Just allow me to summarize it by saying that I am unhappy for 3 main reasons:

1) I do not feel the lack of depth at LB has been properly addressed
2) I think we went after way too many guys who have issues qualifying
3) I’m frustrated with the number of guys from Alabama who were committed here or highly interested in coming here, took visits other places and ended up committed there while we get visitors from other states and NONE of them seem to end up committed to Bama

Grade issues have really become my main concern right now. We have 18 commits and I know I have seen things posted about 8-10 of them having work to do to get eligible. It seems we have done nothing more than go out and sign a great class for Hargrave Military Academy.

I think some people might have forgotten....we had a losing season last year. That doesn't help with recruiting too much. I am happy with this class, I think it turned out about like Shula would have had it.

I like the class but I wish he wouldn't have spent so much time competing for other teams players.....Are we sure he isn't talking with Jimmy Klausen? :lol:

I agree with Randy.

Although it is nice to go out and rip some pretty good players from other schools, I am a little disappointed in the fact that we didn't make any ground at all in-state, and we managed to lose some real, real good players that we already had committed. To me, trading Marve for Fanuzzi and Brown for Davis, etc...it's all been a wash at best.

I know CNS has not been here that long but I guess I expected to at least pull one big timer that was really interested in us to begin with (John Brown, Sidell Corley, Michael McNeil, etc). The interest of people like McKnight and Paige and some others has been nice, but outside of Luther Davis we have not pulled any big timers that weren't on the radar to begin with. I do think we have gotten some nice sleepers that could turn out to be stars by the time they leave, but I was hoping for at least one big splash or two.

This will be a great recruiting class givin what Saban has been handed. Even though there may not be a "5 star" player signing tommorrow, he will have many game changing players that should prove to be much better once they are in under his sytem.

Kerry Murphey decsion coming soon, he better be going to Bama!

Looking forward to a great 07' season, Roll Tide!

Met a friend on the street today who started giving me hell about the Saban hiring. He said that Nick was trying to steal recruits from LSU but hasn't been successful. I mentioned Luther Davis. The dude said, "Who?" I told him who he was, but the guy said he'd never heard of him. Some fan, huh?

This recruiting season was a wash IMO, after Shula was fired. I don't care if Saban, Spurrier, insert name here came in the next day after Shula was canned, it was still too much ground to cover in a such a short amount of time.

We have actually done better than I thought we would.

Saban and company have done a great job. 5 out the top defensive lineman will sign with Bama.As for getting out of state guys, last time I checked the parents of Chris Lett and Alex Watkins did not claim Alabama State Taxes on their W-2'S.

RTR

Coach Saban, if nothing else is a great recruiter. Give him a little time and he'll bring home the bacon. Bama will be back on top in no time.

bryant02.jpg

I think the concern regarding LB is overblown. I'm pretty certain Saban recognizes the fact that we need help at the position and I suspect that he has identified several "atheletes" either currently on the roster or in this recruiting class that can be successfully transitioned to linebacker.

Based on what he's been able to accomplish in such a short period of time, I think we can have confidence that next year's class will be head and shoulders above any recruiting class we've witnessed in recent memory.

Back
Top Bottom