| FTBL Weird placement of lesser bowls

MunchyOs

auburn h8r
I don't know why they always seem to schedule a basic Nothing Bowl after the New Year's Day bowls because the teams involved are always much weaker than the NY6 teams. It's like taking a big step backwards. The Texas Bowl is, AT BEST, an in between Christmas and New Year's Bowl game. Even having it on New Year's Eve is pushing it. And yet, it was on last night, days after New Year's. What's the point of having it then? Sure, it's a tier above the pre Christmas bowl games, but that's not saying much at all. It is not an upper tier bowl by any means, and it's one that definitely should be over and done with by December 31. There are too many bowls for sure. But, if they are going to have tons of them like they do now, then at least get the lower tiers out of the way well before the playoffs. One year only, I think it was 2017, they seemed to do it right. The final 3 games of the season were the 2 semifinals, (Bama-Clemson Sugar and Georgia-Oklahoma Rose) and then the big one. That was the one year where the placement of everything felt right. Most years, the postseason scheduling is weird and all over the place.

Most of it just has to do with timing. Timing of the holidays (Christmas and New Years), the NFL, the CFP, New Year’s Day bowls, and other bowls. Everybody wants visibility. With ESPN/ABC broadcasting most of the bowls, there’s only so much time to broadcast when people are awake.

Is that 44 with or without the cancellations?
That was scheduled bowls, not sure if it includes the NC game or just the two semi-finals. I think 5 were cancelled. There is no way 86 or 88 teams deserved a bowl game. It gets hard to argue past 40-50. Any team in a bowl should be at a place where losing would not create a losing season for them (ie: 7-6 coming in is OK, 6-6 is not) and ideally nobody should be in a place where it would make them .500. I really would prefer any team need to win 8 games to be in a bowl. Going 8-4 or 8-5 is fine for a reward like that. And if some bowls have to be cancelled some years because enough teams are not available, so be it.

Thats 30 teams...
Bowls were a reward for a good season...

Did 30 have a good season?

There were a couple decent matchups this year....maybe half dozen....
I watched part of 3....( not counting 1 CFP game...NY party got nite game)
Thats it....
Oh trust me, that 15 number is actually rather liberal. If I truly had my way, there would only be 6-8 bowl games, and of those 6-8 the teams eligible to play would qualify purely based on rankings and not because of any sort of conference tie ins.

15 bowl games based on rankings would simply capture the entire top 25 and perhaps a few 8-4 teams that just missed on finishing ranked.

That was scheduled bowls, not sure if it includes the NC game or just the two semi-finals. I think 5 were cancelled. There is no way 86 or 88 teams deserved a bowl game. It gets hard to argue past 40-50. Any team in a bowl should be at a place where losing would not create a losing season for them (ie: 7-6 coming in is OK, 6-6 is not) and ideally nobody should be in a place where it would make them .500. I really would prefer any team need to win 8 games to be in a bowl. Going 8-4 or 8-5 is fine for a reward like that. And if some bowls have to be cancelled some years because enough teams are not available, so be it.
There’s difference.....7-8 win seasons....

Theres a Tennessee 7-8 win season....they celebrate like it its new years eve...
Sell ungodly amount of tickets to any bowl.....wear that puke orange with VFL and have Rocky Top on every phone ringer....

Exactly. For instance, auburn's season should have concluded as soon as Bryce found Metchie in the end zone in the 4 overtime. They ended the regular season on a 4 game losing skid, including blowing a 25 point lead against Mississippi State and losing for the second year in a row to a piss poor South Carolina team. They were in a must win in the Birmingham Bowl just to have a winning season. And they lost which resulted in them having a losing season instead. So in the end, a 7 loss team got a postseason. It was an absolute farce, as were many others this season

Exactly. For instance, auburn's season should have concluded as soon as Bryce found Metchie in the end zone in the 4 overtime. They ended the regular season on a 4 game losing skid, including blowing a 25 point lead against Mississippi State and losing for the second year in a row to a piss poor South Carolina team. They were in a must win in the Birmingham Bowl just to have a winning season. And they lost which resulted in them having a losing season instead. So in the end, a 7 loss team got a postseason. It was an absolute farce, as were many others this season
I kind of liked them playing and LOSING......
And ending on a 5 game LS

Back
Top Bottom