| FTBL Update on Terrence Cody - AL.com

moreno_iv

Verified Member
http://blog.al.com/tidecorner/2008/10/alabama_nose_tackle_terrence_c.html

According to a source with Bamaonline.com senior writer Chase Goodbread, Terrence Cody likely has a sprained MCL that will not require surgery. The source cited that Cody will probaly miss 3-4 weeks of the season. This injury will most likely keep Mt. Cody out of the lineup in two key SEC road games against Tennessee and LSU. The big man has helped transform a young, inexperienced defense into the 4th rated rushing defense in the country. Josh Chapman is the likely replacement for Cody in Saban's 3-4 defense.

In about an hour, Saban will hold his press conference and he'll obviously talk about it in his opening remarks. Hopefully, what BOL is reporting is true, but you never can tell with those guys.

Porter said:
In about an hour, Saban will hold his press conference and he'll obviously talk about it in his opening remarks. Hopefully, what BOL is reporting is true, but you never can tell with those guys.

Which way would you lean?

Well dang, I was hoping for a couple of weeks as Coach Saban mentioned in press conference, but I guess that's kind of greedy on my part. I want what is best for Cody :) , and if surgery isn't required then that might be the most we could have hoped for. I thought two weeks was a little kool aid-ish.

There really isn't a positive in this for Cody or Alabama, but at least we'll know how we stand come LSU. By then we should have a better idea of personnel and potential sans Cody.

moreno_iv said:
Porter said:

Which way would you lean?

They were pretty confident Saturday night that it wasn't a tear, so I would say BOL is correct. As far as a time frame on a return, that is what might be more iffy. We'll see what Saban says though.

I think the drop-off from Cody being out is a little less than people think based on our personnel, and MORE than we think based on who's coming up on the schedule. These are better linemen in the rest of the year than we've seen.

Let's not all start getting Negative Ned about the way the rest of this year is going to unfold. Losing Prothro was a big hit back in 2005, but this is a different deal. We still have phenomenal scoring ability, and this is a defense than can lay a lick on people. I'd like to see Saban lose some of the aggressiveness in pass rush because it's going to be less successful now, by default. It opened up too many running lanes and downfield receivers when we kept up the aggressiveness after TC went out. More conservative on defense, less conservative on offense...

There again, I'm a financial advisor, not a head football coach. :lol:

weezyfbaby00 said:
How much of a drop off are we gonna see with Cody out of the lineup?

When Ole Miss needed half a yard on Saturday, they couldn't get it, and Cody was in the locker room. We'll be ok. Losing a guy like Cody hurts, but Chapman ain't chopped liver, and Gentry played well when he was in there. They will make some other adjustments as well.

Porter said:
weezyfbaby00 said:

When Ole Miss needed half a yard on Saturday, they couldn't get it, and Cody was in the locker room. We'll be ok. Losing a guy like Cody hurts, but Chapman ain't chopped liver, and Gentry played well when he was in there. They will make some other adjustments as well.

Could the adjustments involve taking the red shirt off Squares, or Washington working a bit at NT?

With Terrance out it will be an adjustment but I think Chapman filled in quite well. Missing 3-4 weeks as compared to the season is great news. I'd look for washington to move back down to provide a little more depth in Cody's absence.

psychojoe said:
Porter said:
weezyfbaby00 said:

Could the adjustments involve taking the red shirt off Squares, or Washington working a bit at NT?

I would say both of those are fairly strong possibilities. Especially the latter.

Back
Top Bottom