| FTBL UGA QB room is as settled as its ever been. Meaning, it's not.

Where I don't agree is that there is not much allocation going into the actual program. That is false. My boss is a Magill Society member and our owner is a big dog donor ($50,000+ a year) (atleast that's big to me) and they talk to me all the time about what's being built and what's coming.
Here's where I believe a lot of people are missing the bigger picture. I've touched on it a few times. More recently @It Takes Eleven mentioned the same in another discussion.

While I can't say this literally, it's pretty damn close: this is a zero sum game. By that I mean donors/boosters aren't going to decide "I'm going to spend twice as much money now that the NIL has been instituted." They have a choice:
  • contribute to the UGA facility drives.
  • contribute to the UGA NIL initiatives.
It's the last group where attention needs to be paid. Its that group, as @Crimson&WhiteGecko succinctly described, that feel like they own a stake in the program.

Your boss and his 50k a year...he's looking for a return on that money if he's part of that group. If those contributing to NIL initiatives don't see a return, they won't continue to just blindly give thousands each season. And it's at that point the seat becomes hot (even if he's got a title on his resume.)

Before the world gets ahead of itself—well, it actually already has—Georgia is not a perennial playoff team even though the media and fans try to portray them to be.

We're going into Kirby's seventh season and he's had them in the playoffs twice. As it's been pointed out they are playing in a very different division versus the one when Richt was coaching. They should be in the playoffs each season even if they lose the SECCG. Now they've got a taste ...

Do tables turn on Kirby in a couple of years? I doubt it happens that way. Can they in five years? There's a discussion.

Just as a comparison Phil Fulmer won a title at Tennessee, like Kirby, in his sixth season. We saw how the base turned on Phil. He was still winning but he wasn't winning the games that mattered: against ranked opponents, when title hopes were on the line.

That's a really good word to use. Literally, it's not true: they aren't stakeholders. But on the other hand their money is at stake here and while they're still only supporters they feel like they own a stake of UGA football.

We're seeing the same thing happen in College Station.

Hmmmm... I can see that being the case with contributions/donations as boosters but I don't see how in any way a "sponsor" (err, whatever we call them now) doesn't have some stake in these players they endorse. These players will be tethered to some degree as to how to go about their business. I agree these stakeholders should not have any sway with the program admin (from AD to HC on down) but on the player, yessir, they are a stakeholder.

Now it could be that for right now the NIL contracts prohibit stakeholder the typical ownership characteristics but that will be changed whenever Nike comes at player with some unbelievable $$$ figure. They will specifically have language that voids their payment if player XYZ does or doesn't do something, if they haven't already done that.

I didn't think of this at all until you pointed it out. This is going to get very interesting. So much so that I see the College Football Commissioner role being necessitated as CNS predicted years ago.

Here's where I believe a lot of people are missing the bigger picture. I've touched on it a few times. More recently @It Takes Eleven mentioned the same in another discussion.

While I can't say this literally, it's pretty damn close: this is a zero sum game. By that I mean donors/boosters aren't going to decide "I'm going to spend twice as much money now that the NIL has been instituted." They have a choice:
  • contribute to the UGA facility drives.
  • contribute to the UGA NIL initiatives.
It's the last group where attention needs to be paid. Its that group, as @Crimson&WhiteGecko succinctly described, that feel like they own a stake in the program.

Your boss and his 50k a year...he's looking for a return on that money if he's part of that group. If those contributing to NIL initiatives don't see a return, they won't continue to just blindly give thousands each season. And it's at that point the seat becomes hot (even if he's got a title on his resume.)

Before the world gets ahead of itself—well, it actually already has—Georgia is not a perennial playoff team even though the media and fans try to portray them to be.

We're going into Kirby's seventh season and he's had them in the playoffs twice. As it's been pointed out they are playing in a very different division versus the one when Richt was coaching. They should be in the playoffs each season even if they lose the SECCG. Now they've got a taste ...

Do tables turn on Kirby in a couple of years? I doubt it happens that way. Can they in five years? There's a discussion.

Just as a comparison Phil Fulmer won a title at Tennessee, like Kirby, in his sixth season. We saw how the base turned on Phil. He was still winning but he wasn't winning the games that mattered: against ranked opponents, when title hopes were on the line.

While I agree with you in principle, Georgia fans are different from the standpoint of borderline stupidity or being too loyal for their own good. These guys have been giving piles of money to Georgia when they weren't winning. Take for instance 2007 when Georgia was pre-season ranked #1. The donation to get the ability to purchase season tickets before that poll was $1,000. After that pre-season poll and Sports Illustrated cover page it jumped to $10,000! It's stayed around that mark since then with no Natty's in between. My boss last year before their Championship had to sign up for $30,000 to get lower level seat purchasing rights, that donation I was speaking of. So with that one Playoff appearance, they were still commanding large donation sums to get tickets. I will ask her what they are looking for after a Championship year, but I'm willing to bet the donations are still coming in.

Where I agree with you is that the guys pushing their money NIL way will expect a little something in return, as all business minded men do. But just like I've seen here at Lake Oconee, there is always some new hotshot or young gun waiting to make a name for himself and step in when the chance arises. Egos are a dangerous thing, and many will pay just to be "that guy". So while I agree with you, there are no shortage of fools waiting to give Georgia their money. Georgia is sneaky wealthy like Alabama. Everyone thinks it's Texas, A&M, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, and USC, but Alabama, Georgia, Ole Miss, and Florida have sneaky wealthy bank accounts. I'm sure Alabama has that exact same situation occur once Saban took over at won in 2009. I know I can remember everything skyrocketing.

Back
Top Bottom