| FTBL UGA QB room is as settled as its ever been. Meaning, it's not.

Not that I would trust Griffith farther than I can spit. He said there were three Heisman QB's in their QB room last season.

Yesterday I read several tweet talking about how Bennett looked better than the other guys but ole Mike here says, "not on my watch."

If Kirby isn't careful he's going to be down to one. I suppose that'll be a perfect pitch for Arch.

Isn't this what the pundits said about JT Daniels last year?
That's what Griffith himself said about Daniels. He went farther than that saying UGA had to play Daniels if they were going to win it all. I think it was Terry who said Griffith was as big of a head case as Daniels.

If you didn't catch the reports Daniels has transferred again. He's at WVU now.

We've been saying that for a minute.. JT Daniel was better than Bennett, Beck is better than Bennett. There was lot of chatters out there saying Bennett hasn't lived up to leadership, not going to classes and etc. I'll say this... It'll be rough year for Georgia if they have QB issues.

Not that I would trust Griffith farther than I can spit. He said there were three Heisman QB's in their QB room last season.

Yesterday I read several tweet talking about how Bennett looked better than the other guys but ole Mike here says, "not on my watch."

If Kirby isn't careful he's going to be down to one. I suppose that'll be a perfect pitch for Arch.

How is it a perfect pitch for Kirby? Dude can't even keep qbs... He has a standing history of losing QB. He can probably land Manning, but he'll mismanage the qb room as always.... and someone will transfer.

He doesn't care on that level. He just did something no one else there could for 40 years. He's cemented his legacy and has a lifetime contract. He'll have the time necessary to get through a two year stint with limited quarterbacks.
I disagree. He put more pressure on himself and staff to sustain at high level. Actually he had less time. He need a very good qb to maintain their runs for playoff.

I disagree. He put more pressure on himself and staff to sustain at high level. Actually he had less time. He need a very good qb to maintain their runs for playoff.

How long was Mark Richt in Athens without winning one, but running a winning program? Kirby Smart, a former player, and now a National Championship winning coach for a starving fan base has a "lifetime" contract. He's going nowhere (college wise), will be paid more, and will leave only when he wants to. Trust me on this one.

How long was Mark Richt in Athens without winning one, but running a winning program? Kirby Smart, a former player, and now a National Championship winning coach for a starving fan base has a "lifetime" contract. He's going nowhere (college wise), will be paid more, and will leave only when he wants to. Trust me on this one.
I agree! Kirby’s leash will be A LOT longer than the one Richt had given that he now has a Natty on his résumé. Only way it would get shorter would be a string of 8-9 win seasons.

I agree! Kirby’s leash will be A LOT longer than the one Richt had given that he now has a Natty on his résumé. Only way it would get shorter would be a string of 8-9 win seasons.
Keep recruiting at the level he has been getting players....and playing in SECe...with AU as permanent crossover
Kinda same at Dabo n Clemson..(.weak division....)
UGA has it made

Except....UGA has to get through SECw....and better hope Bama isnt moved to SECe along with AU .....when Ok and Tx comes aboard ( with Missouri moving to SECw)

I'm going to put on @TerryP hat for a moment. Now, hear me out:

There is a reason why the comparison between Kirby and Mark is considered lazy for several reasons:
1) Richt never won championship with Georgia. Kirby got one this past season.
2) Richt would also win SEC East Division titles in 2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2011, and 2012 while only winning the SEC in 2002 and 2005. Kirby won Four SEC East titles and trips to the conference championship game (winning one)
3) What separates him from Richt is the fact that over Smart’s first five seasons as head coach, he has already led Georgia to five major bowl games and won three of them. He is only three major bowl games and three major bowl wins short of tying what Richt was able to do in his entire 15 years.

4) So now, Smart has lot of pressure on him going forward. He has to prove that he can sustain the success of the program in the next 8 years. He has accomplished most of goals in short time than Richt did in 15 years. So yes, I expect Smart to have little tighter reins than Richt did. He's on the top of the mountain and he has to pull all he can to keep winning.

5) now, Look at Dabo... He won a lot, and then he started to lose staff and players to transfers/nfl, and things changed. Smart will experience that this upcoming fall and see how does he adjust to that. If he fails to make playoff or to sec championship 2 years in a row, then he's on hot seat. Georgia won't make another Richt mistake.

On the part of him going nowhere.... I wouldn't say that. If Smart were to leave, It would probably be for NFL.

There is a reason why the comparison between Kirby and Mark is considered lazy for several reasons:
2) Richt would also win SEC East Division titles in 2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2011, and 2012 while only winning the SEC in 2002 and 2005. Kirby won Four SEC East titles and trips to the conference championship game (winning one)
3) What separates him from Richt is the fact that over Smart’s first five seasons as head coach, he has already led Georgia to five major bowl games and won three of them. He is only three major bowl games and three major bowl wins short of tying what Richt was able to do in his entire 15 years.

4) So now, Smart has lot of pressure on him going forward. He has to prove that he can sustain the success of the program in the next 8 years. He has accomplished most of goals in short time than Richt did in 15 years. So yes, I expect Smart to have little tighter reins than Richt did. He's on the top of the mountain and he has to pull all he can to keep winning.

5) now, Look at Dabo... He won a lot, and then he started to lose staff and players to transfers/nfl, and things changed. Smart will experience that this upcoming fall and see how does he adjust to that. If he fails to make playoff or to sec championship 2 years in a row, then he's on hot seat. Georgia won't make another Richt mistake.

On the part of him going nowhere.... I wouldn't say that. If Smart were to leave, It would probably be for NFL.

Smart to nfl.....ummmmm
Dont see that...Smarts #1 thingis recruiting...more talent than everybody...

Thats not nfl resume......

He has won one title....cant compare him to dabo ....yet .... anyway...
Dabo has 6 straight CFP appearances....and2 titles...smarts not close...

And really hardto gauge anything...on covid season seasons...

The SEC East was WAY more competitive under Richt than Smart. Richt also faced a tough SEC West. So that's not a lazy comparison at all, so you are way off base taking that perspective. Richt and Smart were direct comparisons begore January with Richt winning more ranked games.

Your Dabo comparison is where you get lazy. Dabo has refused to grow with college football in regards to transfers and NIL. His recruiting stance where you can't look or go on visits after committing is archaic and sits right there with Paul Johnson at Tech. All is good when you have coaching continuity like he has had, but Kirby is already seeing departures like every other program in the country. Dabo is not evolving, but Kirby has embraced the portal and NIL, but also dealing with coaching changes.

There's a dynamic here that's missing: Kirby isn't on the same playing field as Richt where that field changed back in 2016.

When he was hired I pointed out Kirby had opened the floodgates with the supporters of the UGA program to the point they now had free reign just like they did when Goff and Donnan were in charge. We saw that immediately when those same supporters where paying thousands to these kids to visit UGA. (LSU quickly followed suit.) Now these supporters were monetarily invested in the program to the likes unseen for two decades. Ownership, if you will.

No longer are these guy spending money on facilities, they're spending money on players and that has a trickle up effect. It's one thing to invest in UGA's program so they have a legitimate indoor practice facility. It's quite another to be invested in individual players.

IF those "investments" don't pan out? It puts Kirby in a much different situation: he'll have more pressure on him to the likes Richt never dealt with.

I'm definitely on the opposite side of this "lifetime" contract with Kirby. If his teams are continually competing for national titles folks will start questioning where their money is going...or rather, what they're getting for their money.

Different pitch, same note.

If you look at locker rooms and say "the money from the NIL funds can create a lot of dysfunction" you also have to look where that money is coming from...the dysfunction will be found there as well.

There's a dynamic here that's missing: Kirby isn't on the same playing field as Richt where that field changed back in 2016.

When he was hired I pointed out Kirby had opened the floodgates with the supporters of the UGA program to the point they now had free reign just like they did when Goff and Donnan were in charge. We saw that immediately when those same supporters where paying thousands to these kids to visit UGA. (LSU quickly followed suit.) Now these supporters were monetarily invested in the program to the likes unseen for two decades. Ownership, if you will.

No longer are these guy spending money on facilities, they're spending money on players and that has a trickle up effect. It's one thing to invest in UGA's program so they have a legitimate indoor practice facility. It's quite another to be invested in individual players.

IF those "investments" don't pan out? It puts Kirby in a much different situation: he'll have more pressure on him to the likes Richt never dealt with.

I'm definitely on the opposite side of this "lifetime" contract with Kirby. If his teams are continually competing for national titles folks will start questioning where their money is going...or rather, what they're getting for their money.

If you look at locker rooms and say "the money from the NIL funds can create a lot of dysfunction" you also have to look where that money is coming from...the dysfunction will be found there as well.

Damn good point sir! From playing time to practice reps, those stakeholders are going to find a way to be involved to some degree

I agree with you in terms of your initial comment about playing field comparison. 100%. Where I don't agree is that there is not much allocation going into the actual program. That is false. My boss is a Magill Society member and our owner is a big dog donor ($50,000+ a year) (atleast that's big to me) and they talk to me all the time about what's being built and what's coming.

Now, Kirby has done well enough recruiting to win a Natty. While I hate it, he has caught fire in the beginning just like Saban. I do not think Kirby is near as smart and calculating as Saban, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to recruit, especially now with NIL. He will be in Athens as long as he wants to, let me put it that way. Of course, if he goes 2-10 the next five years we're talking a different story, but I doubt that happens. Making the Playoffs every few years guarantees his tenure. He has done that so far.

Now that guys can get paid, I think some lose sight of development and their long term future and still commit to a guy like him. Georgia has never lacked in recruiting. Our state is the #3 state in the country at producing recruits, and he has gone national. I don't see an Alabama dynasty of course, but I can see a similar Ohio State type path for Smart and Georgia.

Back
Top Bottom